What sets Gentoo apart?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddvlad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: What sets Gentoo apart? Reply with quote

Hi, everyone,

first of all, I'm a Gentoo user and I'm sold, so to speak. I wouldn't leave Gentoo for any other distro I know of. Now, a friend's asked me to give him a short (30 minutes maybe) presentation of Gentoo; he wants to install it, but lacks the time, or maybe he needs an initial kick in the rear :-) What's important is that he came to me, not the other way around, so he's probably willing to listen to what I'll say.

A bit about my friend: much like myself, he's not the typical user (or maybe Gentoo's user base is different): we're Computer Science students, so showing him Compiz Fusion probably won't impress him. He'd probably be more interested in technical details, but I'm afraid I won't touch on key points. That's why I'm asking. He's had a few years experience with Linux (as a technical user, not a programmer, I presume), so it won't be a Linux vs. Windows talk.

I was thinking of talking a bit about USE flags and Portage, but other suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Vlad
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(this is more pointed at your friend than you, because you're already sold)..

If you want to try out linux a bit, make sure it's a good environment for you, maybe even do a little development, install a binary distro.

If you want to be plunged headfirst into linux, learning every little intricacy of it, do an LFS install.

If you want a decent, built-from source distro that's relatively easy to maintain, choose gentoo.

What're the benefits of built-from-source distros?

First of all, there is the small performance benefit you get from having packages compiled for your own hardware rather than generic hardware - however, this is a very small benefit.

The biggest thing that sets gentoo apart is customizability. For example, take the kernel. You can either get a kernel that's hideously over-genericized with way too many options selected, or you can configure it yourself and get speed, memory usage and simplicity benefits. Also, consider a desktop environment like KDE... you can individually select not only entire components of kde to compile, but individual features of those components... say you don't want arts... just take out the USE flag (you can also talk about USE flags some more...)

Consider the case of a server... why would you ever want any sound support on a server? with gentoo, just don't compile it in.

Basically, binary distributions can be considered a large buffet that has been placed on your table. Gentoo is a gourmet meal that you yell at a chef to make for you, exactly to your liking (in this metaphor, the ebuilds are like recipe cards, portage is like the chef, the packages are the ingredients, and you can say what ingredients you want in/left out - LFS could be considered a meal you have to cook yourself given all these ingredients).

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
arghnoname
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with what poly_poly-man said above. Customizability is the biggest difference between Gentoo and the other distributions I have used. This tends to require more work and knowledge about what you want to do and what your computer's hardware is, but if your friend is like me, that's a bonus. If you aren't, maybe it's a negative. I do think it's a fair compromise between LFS and Ubuntu for someone who wants to be familiar, but doesn't want to have to maintain every single installed thing on their system.

The other thing I'd say for people who want to do some programming is I find it very convenient that there are no -devel packages like with other distributions, generally speaking. If I want to grab something or write something and compile it that isn't included in the distribution or that I wrote myself, it's nice not having to install a ton of header packages. This is a really small nit, but having the headers and the documentation on my system (doc use flag) makes it easier to just try something out.

I also like the package availability and prefer portage over the other package systems. This might just be an issue of familiarity (Gentoo was my first distribution), because apt-get works quite well, but there it is.
StringCheesian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer Science related reasons:
1. He won't have to hunt for foobar-headers, foobar-dev, foobar-libs, etc. Headers and libraries come with everything. There's usually a USE flag for developer documentation too.

2. He can turn on debugging symbols for as much of the system as he cares to, with portage automating what would on other distros be a manual process of recompiling stuff.

3. If he's interested in tested his code with multiple versions of GCC or binutils, Gentoo's gcc-config and multislot features make it easy.

More general stuff:
4. Other distros have optional dependencies. USE flags expose that and more - choices of patches, configure arguments, etc.

5. When installing Gentoo, an existing installation of any distro works as well as an install DVD. All other distros I've seen seem designed to be installed only from their official install DVD. This is great for trying things an official install DVD wouldn't support, like alternative filesystems.
lightvhawk0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any success setting up software raid on any other system other than Gentoo.

Gentoo has giving me the ultimate Linux experience, in that some things that are hard to do or that are impossible to do, happen pretty easily on Gentoo.

For example if you don't want pam anymore just add -pam in your use flags and emerge -e world.
Another example was when the athlon-64 was introduced, I just recompiled in 64-bit mode and had a fully 64-bit system.

In summary Gentoo lets you do what you want when you want to.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ben.liveforge.org/why-gentoo

It has a to-the-point list with strengths of Gentoo.
rafo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here for yet another inspiring aspect of Gentoo: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/index.xml. There is cutting-edge platform/server/application/etc development work happening at the Gentoo "campus". Even if you don't do development work you can follow what goes on, perhaps participate in testing, and eventually benefit from the work done.

I doubt that there is anything even remotely as impressive to be found at other distro webs! The Gentoo community should be really proud of the Projects page.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sets Gentoo apart?

Lack of announcements about required manual intervention in package upgrades (eg. blocks, the xulrunner USE flag) - inevitably leading to some inventive and downright dangerous "solutions" being recommended by users on the forums.

The uniquely ancient and user-unfriendly website making peoples introduction to Gentoo a fun hunt for the documentation they need - this, among other issues, results in more users frequently attempting to use the awesomely bad graphical installer included on the livecd.

The fun way where even experienced users, like myself, who want to suggest changes get bounced around being told something is the responseability of someone else - even when they don't want to know who's responseable but just if anyone knows where the resources are so they can make the change themselves and submit a patch.

The way in which, when suggesting a solution to a problem, a user will be told of another problem that blocks their solution and that no one cares about fixing said problem (eg. PR's lack of speed in posting announcements requested by other developers)

</{whine,troll,devils-advocate}>
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:
What sets Gentoo apart?

</{whine,troll,devils-advocate}>

some people reading it might not quite get that style you mentioned at the bottom of you post - so I took the liberty to emphasize it a bit :roll:

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USE flags and how the distro doesn't fight you cause you want to add a new package to yr local database
Captain Newbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer Science here. I also appreciate not having to hunt for foo-headers when building against foo.

Portage works very well as a package manager and if I recall correctly the 2.2 release will handle blocking packages (more or less) automatically, replace glsa-check and partially replace revdep-rebuild. 2.2 will also probably require us to sit up and take notice of changes made to Portage. I like the fact that I have to RTFM.

The idea of a self-hosting system is appealing to me. It will run anywhere.

AllenJB wrote:
snip

Troll/devil's advocate or not he's right, or at least on the right track. The developer-user interface could use a little help (my opinion).

Note that a good part of this is actually caused by our own stupidity, or if not stupidity, our habits of looking for a simple and common solution (if solution A works for problem B, involving blocked packages, then it must work also for problem C involving blocked packages). It turns out unmerging stuff in the system set is a BAD idea. . .

For what it's worth I actually like the uniquely ancient website. A complete lack of Flash and JavaScript makes the site easy for me to use, but I was dropped on my head as a child, so you might have to discount this :)
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't think of a better out-of-the-box compiling environment. this is an obvious choice however because it is a source based distro.

also, options. gentoo has options. be it the thousands of packages (and more with overlays) or the almost 'naked' nature of what-does-what and where it all is allows you to easily get into little tweaks here and there or wild experiments alike. of course, the beauty is that you don't have to do all that either.

next to slackware, gentoo is a distro that I will always use and be a part of. i can't say the same about debian, arch, fedora, or any other distro I have seriously used for long periods of time.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use flags and how gentoo handles dependencies is why i like it
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
RedSquirrel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, it's the full range of customization that you get with Gentoo and the ease with which you can do that customization. Other systems allow you to customize, but Gentoo takes away most of the hassle.

It seems to me that Gentoo does a reasonable job of keeping on top of the security updates. Many other distributions are slow with that sort of thing.

Gentoo makes it easy to install a specific version of a package. You can be as stable or bleeding-edge as you like without having to jump through hoops to make it happen.

I'm surprised your friend needs a little nudging. Most technical people I have known had sufficient curiosity to try things out for themselves without the need for a 30-minute presentation. :D
deadeyes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the most important about gentoo is: ability to customize,
rolling release (it is not like, a new version comes out and you have to wait to the next release. As soon as somebody puts it in portage you can use it), best to learn how everything works.

Before gentoo I used debian, ubuntu, fedora, centos, slackware, suse, ...
I never went back to any of them.
So I have to say: try it for half a year, and you'll never want something else (except FreeBSD :p).
ziggysquatch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:

Basically, binary distributions can be considered a large buffet that has been placed on your table. Gentoo is a gourmet meal that you yell at a chef to make for you, exactly to your liking (in this metaphor, the ebuilds are like recipe cards, portage is like the chef, the packages are the ingredients, and you can say what ingredients you want in/left out - LFS could be considered a meal you have to cook yourself given all these ingredients).

... awesome.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: