Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
install Gentoo on Pentium I 166 MHz with 16 MB RAM?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikinovak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: install Gentoo on Pentium I 166 MHz with 16 MB RAM? Reply with quote

Well, the subject says it all. I know it will work the way that chickens fly and horses swim, but...

I tried to boot the CD, and I got a "Kernel panic: out of memory" or something.

Beef up my hardware?

thanks,

kikinovak
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The installation documentation specifically says:
Quote:
To install from the build CD, you will need to have a 486+ processor and ideally at least 64 Megabytes of RAM. (Gentoo linux has been successfully built with 64MB of RAM + 64MB of swap space, but the build process is awfully slow under those conditions.)
There is a thread discussing how install on a machine with less than 64MB, but it still requires a machine with 64MB or more.
zhware
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gentoo.zhware.net/fuq.html#install_sect2
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
There is a thread discussing how install on a machine with less than 64MB, but it still requires a machine with 64MB or more.

Correct. I have done this (I think I make the first mention of it in the forums) but it took advantage of my dual P3, which made the install process to a P133 a lot nicer, seeing as everything was from scratch. ;)

Anyway, the reason the install CD isn't booting is because the initrd -- the filesystem that contains the kernel modules and utilities you need to install your system -- is 24 MB uncompressed. Add on top of that some things that can't be swapped to disk (like the kernel and everything until you swapon something) and the necessity to compile everything... well, there's no way I would consider it unless I had at least 48 MB. (It ought to work fine under 48 MB, but it would be really freakin' slow to install.)
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use the hdd for the 166Mhz on a somewhat more powerfull machine to compile gentoo on, then just put the hdd back and everything willl work nicely...I think :D

Ohh, and make sure you dont compile it with >i486 flags hehe
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try doing an install off a floppy. Tomsrtbt will be less memory hungry than the gentoo iso, which should a least get you to the point where you can make your swap partition and start compiling. However, compiling a whole operating system under 16 megs of ram (actually, 12 'cause tomsrtbt will suck up 4 megs or so in a ramdrive) is an excercise in masochism.
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to cram Gentoo onto a IBM P100 with 32 megs of RAM. 'Course I did install from a stage3 (mostly because I'm an impatient man and the HDD was only a 850 MB).
Yak
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a p233mmx that had a 32 meg dimm but i got another 32 meg dimm recently and stuck it in, now it says 48 meg. heh 32+32=48 :? wrong type dimm i guess. Anyway it's still running slackware though i don't care for it. I'm too cheap to spend $$ on puny EDO simms for such a slow thing.
ixion
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I'm thinking of setting up a 486 (Packard Bell) as a gentoo server (file/fax). Is it worth it? I actually didn't realize how slow and obsolete these old 486's really are. Will it take literally ages to get gentoo on this beast? Do you guys think it would actually perform ok (only 5 users maximum)?
mpsii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ixion wrote:
hmm, I'm thinking of setting up a 486 (Packard Bell) as a gentoo server (file/fax). Is it worth it? I actually didn't realize how slow and obsolete these old 486's really are. Will it take literally ages to get gentoo on this beast? Do you guys think it would actually perform ok (only 5 users maximum)?

I have tried installing on 3 different Packard ____ (Hells, Smells, insert own derogatory term) with no success. One was a P166MMX, one a K6-2 300, and the third was a 486. I tried Gentoo, Slackware, RedHat, Suse. Windows was the only thing that installed. All three had the Sound Card/Modem combo :evil: :evil: with the "IDE" connector for the cdrom drive that was not actually an IDE drive.

Good luck to you...
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Levi* wrote:
I managed to cram Gentoo onto a IBM P100 with 32 megs of RAM. 'Course I did install from a stage3 (mostly because I'm an impatient man and the HDD was only a 850 MB).

Same here, but mine's a DEC. Works like a charm once you've got it up and running, but patience is more than a virtue in this kind of situation.
someguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a packard bell that i had taken apart crammed into one of those knex cases (knex are a kids toy with really interesting boxes )(i believe i was the first to use those boxes for that aswell) installed redhat on it and put another harddrive in it
all you had to do was hit the powerplug after hooking up the cables was a fun fileserver 8) i did this about 3-4 years ago
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: