View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elninio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: lenovo w500 laptop and gentoo Reply with quote

Whenever I try to install gentoo (latest version) from liveCD it fails to load X telling me that either the screen is not found or that there are no drivers for it. So far the only distro that I have tried that has worked with my hardware ( intel mobile 4 series and ati mobility fireGLv5700) is ubuntu (from liveCD). My biggest issue has been getting the wuxga resolution. I did a linuxfromscratch install that could support my hardware (sorta) , but it didnt allow me to get wuxga, only wxga.

How do I get gentoo with wuxga on a w500 (intel mobile 4 series integrated graphics only - i've disabled the ATI graphics in the bios)? Is it possible?
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The liveCD packages are not really that new. A lot of people have problems with a too old kernel on it and such.

I'm pretty sure you can get you desired resolution (since Ubuntu can). Just do a normal install (that is with the handbook and not the installer) but use system rescue cd instead of the minimal. It's gentoo based (so you won't have any problems installing from it), always has a recent kernel and has both 32 and 64 bit on one disc (type rescue64 for 64 in the boot prompt).
elninio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where can i find the rescue CD?
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=pl&q=system+rescue+cd&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

When you have a running system (after the reboot, sync of tree and update) emerge sys-apps/hwinfo and do 'hwinfo --framebuffer' (you might need to run hald and dbus - '/etc/init.d/hald start && /etc/init.d/dbus start'). It should tell you the vga modes (including the wide screen that only intel cards can handle) for your resolutions. Add 512 to it and put in grub's config vga=mode (yes you can use the normal vesafb with intel since GM965 with wide resolutions).
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sysresccd.org/Download.en.php found using google
elninio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda confused with what your telling me, but perhaps it will help to mention that I have a working LFS system on the w500 - can't I just do lspci? I think grub already has the proper video modes - but I'm ony getting wxga. My plan was to install gentoo and then update via portage in order to get the latest drivers.

What are we trying to do here? (i.e your instructions?)
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok....so you're actually going to use that LFS? Or you want to install Gentoo from it? (I just got a bit confused)

The hwinfo part should allow you to have a 1920x1200 (if I'm wrong then whatever-other-resolution-WUXGA-is) framebuffer using the simple vesafb driver instead of the ugly trick with uvesafb and v86d.

And as for X I'm pretty sure it'll work nicely with xorg-x11-7.4 xorg-server-1.5.2 and xf86-video-intel-2.5.1
elninio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download.en.php found using google

thank to both of you - I had no idea such a thing existed so I was looking for a gentoo rescue CD
elninio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szczerb wrote:
ok....so you're actually going to use that LFS? Or you want to install Gentoo from it? (I just got a bit confused)

The hwinfo part should allow you to have a 1920x1200 (if I'm wrong then whatever-other-resolution-WUXGA-is) framebuffer using the simple vesafb driver instead of the ugly trick with uvesafb and v86d.

And as for X I'm pretty sure it'll work nicely with xorg-x11-7.4 xorg-server-1.5.2 and xf86-video-intel-2.5.1

I can't install the driver on LFS because I have to reinstall all of X (xf86-vide-intel requires a higher version of it) , and thats going to take way too long .. plus I've alwasy wanted to try gentoo. So what I want to do is install a separate gentoo partition to see if I can get wuxga, and then proceed to remove LFS if I'm satisfied with gentoo (i'm only really looking for shear simplicity and wuxga resolution).

Can I install gentoo from LFS, and then do a portage update to get all the latest X packages - then using xorg -configure I can obtain a working xorg.conf (I could also do it manually)
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest instaling with the rescue system cd - it has an X server and gparted and firefox so it's really good to use. It will ensure that all the tools needed to install gentoo are there in the right versions and are working right.

I'm pretty sure that you will get WUXGA both in VT's and in X. Also recent X doesn't really need an xorg.conf. Unless you have a touchpad (need to load the synaptics module) or need some custom resolution (xorg usually sets the native of the LCD) or multihead setup.

And please read the handbook while installing without skipping anything - it will probably save you time. And when you're done with the install part read the one about using portage (ofcourse just reading all four parts of the handbook would be best).
elninio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks i'll give that a try
elninio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szczerb wrote:
The liveCD packages are not really that new. A lot of people have problems with a too old kernel on it and such.

I'm pretty sure you can get you desired resolution (since Ubuntu can). Just do a normal install (that is with the handbook and not the installer) but use system rescue cd instead of the minimal. It's gentoo based (so you won't have any problems installing from it), always has a recent kernel and has both 32 and 64 bit on one disc (type rescue64 for 64 in the boot prompt).

How do I go about doing this? I've booted off the recovery CD and tried following the book but the sources aren't in /mnt/gentoo - I must be doing something wrong - could you give me more details as I am confused about what we are trying to do and how we are going to do it. Whats the point of the recovery CD? I have a bootable USB stick with slax on it.
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sources? Did download the (proper for your arch) stage and portage snapshot)?

At what particular step (they're all numbered) do you have a problem? (and please don't tell me you didn't follow the handbook from the beginning - it won't save you time)
elninio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloading the gentoo sources since the linux recovery CD doesn't have them - then I'm going to install with the book from the linux recovery CD (thats why I needed the sources)
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have no idea what sources are we talking about. To set up gentoo just boot from the cd and go through this step by step:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml

Ofcourse if you have a different arch (or language) just choose the right handbook from here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you need a Stage 3, that contain the directory of your current installation and a snapshot that contain the Portage tree.
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing, it's in the handbook, right? So telling him to just go through this (somewhat great) piece of documentation (from the beginning to the end) seems like the best thing to do (if not , please tell me why).

Newcomers to gentoo tend to get a lot of problems just because they decided to skip half a page somwhere in the handbook...
elninio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that to have it build everything from source I would have to use a stage1 - but the handbook only describes stage3...
elninio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szczerb wrote:
I still have no idea what sources are we talking about. To set up gentoo just boot from the cd and go through this step by step:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml

Ofcourse if you have a different arch (or language) just choose the right handbook from here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

I can't boot from liveCD because it doesn't have updated drivers. Lenovo w500 is not an amd64 system - its intel c2d. I've been following the x86 handbook and it doesn't have the answers I'm looking for, thats why I'm asking here. Or maybe it has the answers but I'm confused about the information given to me in the book.
elninio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szczerb wrote:
d2_racing, it's in the handbook, right? So telling him to just go through this (somewhat great) piece of documentation (from the beginning to the end) seems like the best thing to do (if not , please tell me why).

Newcomers to gentoo tend to get a lot of problems just because they decided to skip half a page somwhere in the handbook...

Thats not the problem here - the commands are greatly laid out in the book which is fine but I'm concerned about the overall picture of the process. I've read since the introduction until it dived right into commands to run - maybe there will be a piece of information in chapter 9 vaguely answering my question but I don't have time to read an entire book only to later find that this wasn't what I was looking for in the first place.
elninio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szczerb wrote:
http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=pl&q=system+rescue+cd&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

When you have a running system (after the reboot, sync of tree and update) emerge sys-apps/hwinfo and do 'hwinfo --framebuffer' (you might need to run hald and dbus - '/etc/init.d/hald start && /etc/init.d/dbus start'). It should tell you the vga modes (including the wide screen that only intel cards can handle) for your resolutions. Add 512 to it and put in grub's config vga=mode (yes you can use the normal vesafb with intel since GM965 with wide resolutions).

I should have also mentionned that I have tried this and it is saying that there are no ebuilds to satisfy the criteria - I know I can just provide it with a ebuild (i.e stage 3? is that correct) but I'm not sure whats going on here..
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, all core 2 duo systems can do 64 bits.
elninio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilla wrote:
AFAIK, all core 2 duo systems can do 64 bits.

yes but x86 != amd64 .... isn't that why you have two versions of the handbook?
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. An intel EM64T system (such as my poor Pentium Dual Core T2370 and your cool C2D) are compatible with amd64. Actually it's x86_64 but amd first launched x86_64 processors - from what I remember at that time intel was trying to crawl out of the Pentium 4 sh*t hole.

2. Using stage 3 you start with a basic compiled system and set it pretty quickly. At this point it can boot and has some basic programs, networking, make.conf and is generally usable. Then it is wise to 'emerge -e system' to rebuild the toolchain with your new custom flags and then 'emerge -e world' to rebuild everything with your new flags, using your new toolchain. So after you're done with the handbook 'emerge -e system && emerge -e world' and your system is as nice as if you did from a stage one but you don't have to get your hands so dirty (and from what I've heard the system is a bit cleaner also).

So just go with the handbook and use the amd64 arch - I have an intel based lenovo (with an intel graphics) and amd64 works great for me.

If there are any more questions (that I missed) state them clearly, please.

Since you did a stage1 at some point, it's obvious that you know how gentoo works in general (althogh might not be up to date - stage1 is not supported for a loong time), it might be usefull to read those before (and use during) the install:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elninio wrote:
I thought that to have it build everything from source I would have to use a stage1 - but the handbook only describes stage3...

This is not true :P The Stage 3 is a precompiled for a Standard I686,AMD64 or x86(486 computer). When you download a Stage 3 here for exemple : ftp://gentoo.arcticnetwork.ca/pub/gentoo/releases/amd64/2008.0/stages/

You download a Stage 3 that is precompiled for a 64 bits arch.

If you want to change a Cflags or something else, you can recompile your box from the source.

To do that, you need to run this command :
Code:
# emerge -ae system

This thing will recompile your box from A to Z.

For Cflag, check this link : http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags

For exemple, I have a Intel Quad Core Q9550 and I use the 64 bits : http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags/Intel#Intel_Core_2_Duo.2FQuad_.2F_Xeon_51xx.2F53xx.2C_Pentium_Dual-Core_T23xx.2B.2FExxxx

Code:

CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

And for the record, AMD64 is for everything that is Dual Core,Quad Core and AMD64 X2 or Phenom etc...so 64 bits compatible but not a Server processor like the Itanium or something else.

Last edited by d2_racing on Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: