View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jettjunker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: res 1280x1024 but some progs act like it's 1024x768 [SOLVED] Reply with quote

It's pretty strange... Firefox always opens to 1024x768 (or smaller, if I shrink it/close/reopen). Mplayer fullscreens to 1024x768 (only filling up the top left). But, other programs work just fine (like thunderbird and totem).

Also, if I change the resolution to 1024x768 and then back to 1280x1024 everything will work just fine... which obviously gets old fast. Any ideas how to fix this? I tried 'Mode "1280x1024"' and 'ModeLine "1280x1024"' in my monitor section of xorg.conf, but in either case x fails to start reporting no manageable screens.

Oh, and a second problem... about half the times that I startx the screen just goes black (and flickers a bit). /var/log/Xorg.0.log reports "(EE) intel(0): underrun on pipe A!" over and over again. And, it's prone to freezing -- I just have to ctrl-alt-backspace and try to startx again. I searched a bit about the error, but disabling xrandr didn't resolve my issue. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited by jettjunker on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ewaller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you use Gnome. All rivalries aside, have you tried a different window manger?
jettjunker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, aside from trying both metacity and compiz from within gnome, I have also tried enlightenment (which is how I know the window is 1024x768 exactly since it displays that info when moving a window).

I have since set compiz to resize my firefox window automatically, so I see it at 1024x768 for a fraction of a second before going to the size that I want. It's a little strange for windows that are supposed to open small, but it's not a bad work-around overall. I haven't figured out a work-around at all for mplayer though... I also use totem, but mplayer has a nice shuffle feature that I use for simpsons, futurama, etc.
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have something to do with how you get your 1280 resolution...

I used to have a CRT monitor that only had a maximum display size of 1024x768, then one day i used a LiveCD with Xfce as it's GUI and discovered the monitor could support 1152x864 (if i remember correctly) - it doesn't sound like much, but it made a hell of a difference, with native 91x91 DPI instead of needing it forced for decent looking fonts. After this, i found i could copy/paste the relevant modeline from /var/log/Xorg.0.log into my xorg.conf and have it all the time...

...Now that the old CRT has died and i've replaced it with a 22" widescreen TFT, i've found that the only way to get it's native display resolution of 1680x1050 @ 90x90 DPI is to use the same method - otherwise Xorg thinks i've got a 4:3 display and stretches everything. :roll:

Maybe something similar would resolve your problem... :?

The Modelines go in the monitor-section of xorg.conf, which may also require a 'DisplaySize' setting as well, and are then accessible through the 'Display' sub-sections as illustrated by these portions of my own file:-
Code:
Section "Monitor"
   DisplaySize       474   296     # mm (1680x1050)
   Identifier   "Monitor0"
   VendorName   "GSM"
   ModelName    "L225W"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertRefresh values to use DDC:
   #HorizSync    28.0 - 83.0
   #VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0
   #Option       "DPMS"
   #Option "PreferredMode"
        ModeLine "1680x1050"  146.00  1680 1784 1960 2240  1050 1053 1059 1089 +hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   Device     "Card0"
   Monitor    "Monitor0"
   DefaultDepth 24
   SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth     24
      Modes     "1680x1050"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

*** OBVIOUSLY DON'T USE THESE SETTINGS YOURSELF - GET THE CORRECT ONES FOR YOUR HARDWARE FROM THE LOGFILE ***

My recommendation would be to start from a fresh conf-file, generated as root with "Xorg -configure", but the process of testing may be complicated these days if your Xorg is new enough to have screwy input-device settings - anyway, have a look at the 2nd section of this page for the method i use to setup X.

Hope that helps... :wink:

EDIT: 1280x1024 will be squashed anyway - 1280x960 would be better, probably. :wink:
jettjunker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was easy to fix. My monitor section is actually more basic now, only listing the the Identifier, VendorName, and ModelName (default values). Other than that, the only new details that I notice are Modules "record" and "xtrap" loading, and my "Screen" section having a bunch of subsections for different depths. Other than that, the xorg.conf is missing several things that I filled in before for my hardware, but I guess aren't needed and may have been the problem.

Anyway, 'tis working well now. Thanks for the suggestion :D

PS: my native resolution is 1280x1024, like most LCDs out there ATM... though the world is shifting to widescreen.
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jettjunker wrote:
Well, that was easy to fix. My monitor section is actually more basic now, only listing the the Identifier, VendorName, and ModelName (default values). Other than that, the only new details that I notice are Modules "record" and "xtrap" loading, and my "Screen" section having a bunch of subsections for different depths. Other than that, the xorg.conf is missing several things that I filled in before for my hardware, but I guess aren't needed and may have been the problem.

I get the distinct impression that X can pretty much figure things out for itself these days - xorg.conf can even be more of a hindrance than a help. :lol:

Quote:
Anyway, 'tis working well now. Thanks for the suggestion :D

Glad it worked!

Quote:
PS: my native resolution is 1280x1024, like most LCDs out there ATM... though the world is shifting to widescreen.

Yeah, that occured to me afterwards - i've never had a non-widescreen LCD, but of course 5:4 aspect screen-resolutions must've been invented for something!

The most important goal to aim for is a 1:1 pixel-aspect, meaning that your DPI is the same in both directions, otherwise video's in MPlayer look weird (as do most other things). :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: