View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zerog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: xinit error starting kde Reply with quote

hello everybody

I've just installed kde-meta package, I followed the guide and I've done

Code:

echo "exec startkde" > ~/.xinitrc
startx

but I got this error message:

Code:

hostname: Unknown host
xauth: creating new authority file //.security.7881
xinit: no such file or directory (errno 2) no server "X" in PATH

use the -- option or make sure that /usr/bin is in your path and that "X" is a program or a link to the right type of server for your display possible server names include:
    xorg
    xvfb
    xnest
    xephyr
xinit: server error

I don't understand what's the problem this is the first time I install gentoo...
thank you for your help
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is what you want, but you can start it this way from the command line:
Code:
startx /usr/bin/startkde -- :1

If you want KDE to start when just running startx, you will need to edit your /etc/rc.conf to correctly specify your XSESSION variable:
Code:
XSESSION="kde-3.0.2"

Replace 3.0.2 with whatever version you are running.
Zerog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i followed your advice and now i simply got the same error message but with two extra lines on the bottom:

Code:

xinit: connection refuse (errno111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: no such process (errno 3): unexpected signal 15

seems that cannot connect to X
and I added the line you said in my /etc/rc.conf, it was missing
any other suggestion?
thank you
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you configured your xorg.conf yet?
Zerog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the manual that I found for installing kde there is no xorg.conf configuration step (??!?!!?)

i'm quite new so I just trusted in that manual
I guess I can find something on the gentoo documentation for configure this xorg.conf right?
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, there's the problem... Setting up KDE and xorg is simple... First run 'emerge xorg-x11', create your xorg.conf, test it, run 'emerge kde', and you are ready.

There are a number of docs that show how to create an xorg.conf, but you can use 'Xorg -configure' to generate a usable, but probably not ideal, configuration.

I'm not in front of my machine right now, or I'd post more details. If you need more help, just post back.
Zerog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I read your message now (I guess we have some time zones of difference), but really thanks for your kindness!

I think this post can be considered solved I´ll open a new one in case I´ll have problems in configuring xorg

just a last question I already emerged kde and it took me more than a whole night, should I uninstall it, emerge xorg and then reinstall? or I can directly emerge xorg now?
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might not be a timezone difference... I was up late :) No need to open a new thread, unless you already have...

As for your questions, if you have already emerged KDE and xorg-x11, there is no need to redo that. I would just run an emerge --pretend on those two packages to ensure that they were installed properly. KDE should have pulled in xorg.

Run this command (replace kde with kde-meta if that was what you installed):
Code:
emerge -pv xorg-x11 kde

If all went well it should just say it wants to rebuild these two packages. If that was the result, then you are fine and can move onto configuring your xorg.conf.

Configuring your xorg.conf is really not too bad. There is a Gentoo howto here that can probably help:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
Zerog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, I moved a bit on... I saw that I hadn't any xorg-x11 installed so I emerged it

now when i type:
Code:
X -configure

I got:
Code:
Missing output drivers configuration failed

If I'm not wrong was the same message I got when I wanted to install gentoo with a graphic interface...
I'm using a laptop, I heard some friends told me that sometimes gentoo instead of using your monitor use the video output port... can it be the problem?

thank you
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you follow the guide here?
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml

It sounds like you might not have added your INPUT_DEVICES and VIDEO_CARD vars in your /etc/make.conf. If you want a list of all supported devices, run an 'emerge -pv xorg-server' and it will list out all the options.
Zerog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course i've followed that guide and inside make.conf I have:

Code:

INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx"

since I have an ATI video card

when I compiled xorg-x11 I got thousand of error and warning message...

Code:

>>> Unpacking source...
Warning: target directory exists /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.471..................................................................................................................
 * Converting 2.6.x/Makefile to use M= instead of SUBDIRS= ...
  [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking ./../common/usr/src/ati/fglrx_sample_source.tgz to /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/extra
>>> Source unpacked.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work ...
 * Preparing fglrx module
make -C /usr/src/linux M=/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.26-gentoo-r4'
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_SetPageNoCache':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1161: error: implicit declaration of function 'change_page_attr'
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'firegl_put_user_ptr':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1594: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1594: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_PosixSecurityCapGetEffectiveVector':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1888: error: implicit declaration of function 'cap_t'
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_PosixSecurityCapSetEffectiveVector':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1896: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function '__ke_check_pci':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1951: warning: 'pci_find_slot' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/pci.h:516)
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function '__ke_get_vm_phys_addr':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2392: error: 'NOPAGE_SIGBUS' undeclared (first use in this function)
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2392: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2392: error: for each function it appears in.)
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function '__ke_get_vm_page_table':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2414: error: 'NOPAGE_SIGBUS' undeclared (first use in this function)
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_TestAndClearPageDirtyFlag':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2542: error: 'NOPAGE_SIGBUS' undeclared (first use in this function)
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function '__ke_pci_find_slot':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2840: warning: 'pci_find_slot' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/pci.h:516)
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function '__ke_unregister_ioctl32_conversion':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2972: warning: 'return' with a value, in function returning void
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: At top level:
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3548: error: unknown field 'nopage' specified in initializer
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3548: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3566: error: unknown field 'nopage' specified in initializer
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3566: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3573: error: unknown field 'nopage' specified in initializer
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3573: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3580: error: unknown field 'nopage' specified in initializer
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3580: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3587: error: unknown field 'nopage' specified in initializer
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3587: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3594: error: unknown field 'nopage' specified in initializer
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3594: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3601: error: unknown field 'nopage' specified in initializer
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3601: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3610: error: unknown field 'nopage' specified in initializer
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3610: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KAS_SlabCache_Initialize':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:5219: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.26-gentoo-r4'
make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
 * ERROR: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
 *             environment, line 3252:  Called linux-mod_src_compile
 *             environment, line 2458:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *               eval "emake HOSTCC=\"$(tc-getBUILD_CC)\"                   CROSS_COMPILE=${CHOST}-                   LDFLAGS=\"$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)\"                   ${BUILD_FIXES}                   ${BUILD_PARAMS}                   ${BUILD_TARGETS} " || die "Unable to emake HOSTCC="$(tc-getBUILD_CC)" CROSS_COMPILE=${CHOST}- LDFLAGS="$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)" ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS}";
 *  The die message:
 *   Unable to emake HOSTCC=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu- LDFLAGS=  GCC_VER_MAJ=4 KVER=2.6.26-gentoo-r4 KDIR=/usr/src/linux kmod_build
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/temp/environment'.

can it be this the problem?
thx
Zerog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody has any new tip?
my video card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450

can be that I have to install somehow the fglrx drivers? I just put that line inside make.conf without isntalling anything...
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I never got back to you before... yes, the fact that the fglrx drivers are failing is likely the cause of your problems. First off... add vesa to your VIDEO_CARDS variable. This will ensure that you at least have some type of display to use.

Next, we need to figure out why you can't emerge the drivers properly. Since your system seemed to be a bit inconsistant, I would recommend running an 'emerge --sync' followed by an 'emerge -DuN world'. This should also pull in the fglrx and vesa drivers.
Zerog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I've done everything you told me and this time when I run

Code:

Xorg -configure

I got

Code:

missing output drivers - configuration failed

seems that the ATI drivers are missing, what should I do for install them?
thanks a lot!
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I'm not sure why your drivers are not getting pulled in.

Can you:
1) post your /etc/make.conf?
2) post the results of this command?
Code:
emerge -pv xf86-video-vesa x11-drivers/ati-drivers

You might want to try to add the r128 flag to your VIDEO_CARDS variable. This will install the opensource ati drivers. It could be that your card is not supported by the latest vendor supplied ati drivers.

Another thing I just mentioned... unless it has been fixed, the fglrx cause 'Xorg -configure' to break, with a segfault. You will know they are installed if you encounter this issue:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-517842-highlight-.html
Zerog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my make.conf:

Code:

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example.
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
# These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by the
# profile used for building.
USE="-gtk -gnome qt3 qt4 kde dvd alsa cdr mmx sse sse2 ha1"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/gentoo "
INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx vesa"

the emerge -pv that you asked me to run tells me that both the two package are NOT installed, so I emerged them and I got this error:

Code:

* Determining the location of the kernel source code
 * Found kernel source directory:
 *     /usr/src/linux
 * Found kernel object directory:
 *     /lib/modules/2.6.26-gentoo-r4/build
 * Found sources for kernel version:
 *     2.6.26-gentoo-r4
>>> Unpacking source...
Warning: target directory exists /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.471......................................................................
 * Converting 2.6.x/Makefile to use M= instead of SUBDIRS= ...
  [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking ./../common/usr/src/ati/fglrx_sample_source.tgz to /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/extra
>>> Source unpacked.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work ...
 * Preparing fglrx module
make HOSTCC=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu- LDFLAGS= GCC_VER_MAJ=4 KVER=2.6.26-gentoo-r4 KDIR=/usr/src/linux kmod_build
make -C /usr/src/linux M=/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.26-gentoo-r4'
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_SetPageNoCache':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1161: error: implicit declaration of function 'change_page_attr'
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'firegl_put_user_ptr':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_PosixSecurityCapGetEffectiveVector':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1888: error: implicit declaration of function 'cap_t'
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_PosixSecurityCapSetEffectiveVector':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1896: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function '__ke_check_pci':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1951: warning: 'pci_find_slot' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/pci.h:516)
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function '__ke_get_vm_phys_addr':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2392: error: 'NOPAGE_SIGBUS' undeclared (first use in this function)
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2392: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2392: error: for each function it appears in.)
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function '__ke_get_vm_page_table':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2414: error: 'NOPAGE_SIGBUS' undeclared (first use in this function)
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_TestAndClearPageDirtyFlag':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2542: error: 'NOPAGE_SIGBUS' undeclared (first use in this function)
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function '__ke_pci_find_slot':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2840: warning: 'pci_find_slot' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/pci.h:516)
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function '__ke_unregister_ioctl32_conversion':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2972: warning: 'return' with a value, in function returning void
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: At top level:
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3548: error: unknown field 'nopage' specified in initializer
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3548: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3566: error: unknown field 'nopage' specified in initializer
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3566: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3573: error: unknown field 'nopage' specified in initializer
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3573: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3580: error: unknown field 'nopage' specified in initializer
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3580: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3587: error: unknown field 'nopage' specified in initializer
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3587: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3594: error: unknown field 'nopage' specified in initializer
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3594: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3601: error: unknown field 'nopage' specified in initializer
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3601: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3610: error: unknown field 'nopage' specified in initializer
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3610: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KAS_SlabCache_Initialize':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:5219: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.26-gentoo-r4'
make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
 * ERROR: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
 *             environment, line 3257:  Called linux-mod_src_compile
 *             environment, line 2469:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *               eval "emake HOSTCC="$(tc-getBUILD_CC)"                   CROSS_COMPILE=${CHOST}-                   LDFLAGS="$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)"                   ${BUILD_FIXES}                   ${BUILD_PARAMS}                   ${BUILD_TARGETS} " || die "Unable to emake HOSTCC="$(tc-getBUILD_CC)" CROSS_COMPILE=${CHOST}- LDFLAGS="$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)" ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS}";
 *  The die message:
 *   Unable to emake HOSTCC=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu- LDFLAGS=  GCC_VER_MAJ=4 KVER=2.6.26-gentoo-r4 KDIR=/usr/src/linux kmod_build
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.471.3/temp/environment'.

Seems that my computer cannot compile the ati drivers... maybe something wrong in make.conf?
thanks a lot!
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-718304-highlight-changepageattr.html

I think it is the same problem that you are having. Apparently that version of the ati-drivers doesn't build against the 2.6.26 kernel.

Also, did you vesa drivers build correctly?
Zerog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've followed the post you have suggested me but seems I cannot intall the 8.542 version I did:

Code:

echo "=x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.542" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
 emerge -av ati-drivers

and he tells me that the package is masked under the ~amd64 keyword so what should I do for intall it?
thanks
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try adding this line to your /etc/portage/package.keywords, and remove the line you added
Code:
x11-drivers/ati-drivers ~amd64
Zerog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok now I´ve build both the vesa and ati drivers! :-)

when I run Xorg -configure I got the already mentioned by you
Code:

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

On the thread you posted me some days ago about this problem it says that he solved it with emerge -C ati-drivers and then run Xorg -configure. After this he said I should manually edit my xorg.conf to use the new driver.

I have already build the ati drivers with the command emerge -av ati-drivers, should I remove that package and reinstall it with the -C options? What does he mean with "manually edit your xorg.conf to use the new driver"?

this installation of Gentoo seems endless but the day in which I´ll succede I´ll surely celebrate! :-)
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! We are now making progress.

Basically you have two options now, you can create your xorg.conf using alternative methods, or use Xorg -configure to automatically set things up for you.

If you want to use Xorg -configure, then you will need to uninstall the ati drivers, since it won't work with them. This is why in the other thread he suggested to run emerge -C ati-drivers followed by the Xorg -configure.

If you do try this method, I would suggest that you run a 'quickpgk ati-drivers' first. This will create a binary package for the drivers, so if you want to emerge them again you will just need to run an emerge -K ati-drivers. Also to use emerge -K, I would suggest you put this line in your make.conf:
Code:
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"

After Xorg -configure is complete and you have a working xorg.conf, presumably configured to use the vesa drivers, you will need to manually edit the xorg.conf to use the fglrx drivers instead of vesa. I think all you would need to do here is replace the line that said 'Driver "vesa"' to 'Driver "fglrx"'.

Alternatively, you can create your xorg.conf using another method, such as 'xorgconfig'. This method will ask you a series of questions and write an xorg.conf for you. Nothing it asks is really all that difficult, so you might want to try it out.
Zerog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unmerged ati-drivers and run Xorg -configure, seems that he writes a Xorf.conf, but in the end when I try it I still got a fatal error :-( here is the output:

I've put just the last part of the log file:

Code:

(II) VESA(0): Total Memory: 256 64KB banks (16384kB)
(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
(II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
(II) UnloadModule: "int10"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//libint10.so
(II) UnloadModule: "vbe"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//libvbe.so
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I tried also the xorgconfig but since I have a laptop and everything is integrated I don't go any further...
on this computer I have ubuntu installed do you think I can directly use the xorg.conf of ubuntu?
thanks a lot!
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ubuntu xorg.conf might work, but it will more likely not.

Emerge this package instead: x11-misc/mkxf86config. This will generate a basic unoptimized xorg.conf for you by running '/etc/init.d/mkxf86config start'. I typically use a combination of mkxf86config and Xorg -configure on most systems, and have had great success.

One thing to look out for, sometimes it leaves the Driver line blank. You will want to put vesa in the "" is leaves for you. If things work with the vesa drivers, then try the fglrx drivers. If that works we can talk about optimizing it for 3d accelleration, etc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: