Get me started...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmaloy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: Get me started... Reply with quote

I have MDK9.1 on my laptop. I have a stage 2 tar ball in /home/jmaloy Where do I move it to and how? Go I need to make a dir and if I do How? Then tell me where I need to start on the Instructions. Im a noob and this will be my first "from scratch"or "almost scratch" install. After I install how do I get rid of Mandrake? Not that I dont like Mandrake, I just just dont need 2 Linux OSs on here.
green sun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Get me started... Reply with quote

jmaloy wrote:
I have MDK9.1 on my laptop. I have a stage 2 tar ball in /home/jmaloy Where do I move it to and how? Go I need to make a dir and if I do How? Then tell me where I need to start on the Instructions. Im a noob and this will be my first "from scratch"or "almost scratch" install. After I install how do I get rid of Mandrake? Not that I dont like Mandrake, I just just dont need 2 Linux OSs on here.

You really should start by reading the install docs closely:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml

You need to make a CD from one of the iso images & begin "from the beginning" as they say..

Do you want to keep MDK on the laptop? Have you tried installing & had problems?

Make sure you read the docs linked to above closely, hopefully once or twice before trying out an install...
jmaloy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Cd-rom dont work.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing Gentoo from an existing Linux distro is pretty much the same as installing from a Gentoo CD. Just boot Mandrake, open a terminal, su to root, and start following the instructions from step 6.

ps. The stage tarball you downloaded will be used in step 8.2
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will also need to make sure you have space on your HD to create new partitions to install to. you can't just install "over" your mandrake.

not without deleting it first anyway. and if you do that while you are using it to install ... well, chances are it'll go to hell, lol
jmaloy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Then
I have a boot floppy to install MDK 9.1 over a network. How can I use it to install Gentoo over the Internet. Please be aware that my CD-ROM DOES NOT WORK. If I cant install Gentoo directly over the internet which distro will allow me to?
logon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you just need any kind of linux boot medium which allows you at least to use tar, a text editor and some basic glic stuff. you will need cp and mount and chroot. At some step in the installation you unpack the tarball and the chroot into your "new" gentoo installation. after that you shoul be fine. remember, if u dont have a cdrom working, you must find some way to get the tarball. you can of course download the tarball to your harddrive after you formatted it and mounted the partitions but then remember to get a boot medium which gives u internet access. Hope this made some things a little clearer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: