Text editor with SSH support [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mariourk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Text editor with SSH support [solved] Reply with quote

For my work, I often have to code php, html, css, etc. Right now, I connect to the server via SSH and start coding with vim. This works fine, but I rather work with a graphical editor. Like Scite, for example. Does someone know if there is a graphical editor for linux, with SSH support? With that I mean, an editor that allows my to open and edit files on another comuter, via an SSH connection.

Thanks anyway :)

Last edited by mariourk on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check that X11-forwarding is enabled in /etc/ssh/sshd_config. Then start ssh using ssh -X your.server.com. Then from the command line, start whatever graphical app you need. Running X over the network can be slow, so you may want to keep it to a few light-weight apps.

Forwarding X over ssh may lead to some security-related issues. I don't know what those might be, or if there even are any. But check with someone who knows before doing this with a server containing sensitive data.

Finally you may find it easier to use rsync to maintain a local copy and edit locally with whatever tools you need, then rsync the changes back.
mariourk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this site, that describes the use of sshfs. I works like a charm.
I mounted the remote directory and was able to open any file, with any editor. This works even better than what I was looking for :)
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emacs has a special "tramp" mode to edit remote files.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: