Gentoo Handbook - Which Version?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilflip37
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Gentoo Handbook - Which Version? Reply with quote

Hello everybody

First off, I would just like to mention that I am brand new to all versions of Linux, and have decided to choose Gentoo as my next platform.

I understand that in order to start, you recommend I read the handbook.

So my question is actually very stupid, but its a question nevertheless.
lol -_-

So anyways, I was wondering what version of the handbook would fit my system.

I am running an AMD sempron processor.... Dont really think the rest of my system information is all that important, but I can provide more if needed.

Thank you for your time
-Joseph
isilia
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, x86 will work in either case. If your processor is 64 bit you can use amd64 as well.

I would suggest starting with some other distribution though.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and welcome to the Gentoo community! I would suggest reading the x86 handbook, as that is the one that you will use for your installation. I would like to offer a differing opinion than isilia about distributions. I started with Gentoo as my first version of Linux. Then I played around with some others, and ultimately I came back to Gentoo. I recommend starting with Gentoo because it will allow you to learn the inner-workings of a Linux system. The learning curve can be quite daunting at first, but if you need help, please just feel free to post some more questions here on the forum. :)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilflip37,

Welcome to Gentoo.

By choosing Gentoo Linux as your first distro, you have chosen to "jump in the deep end". However, you only swim in the top 18 inches of water. You may want to keep that in mind as you learn.

Your AMD sempron processor was made in several variaties. 32 bit ones and 64 bit ones. If you have 2G RAM or less, use the x86 handbook and x86 liveCD. Your Sempron is an i686 class CPU, so you should use the i686 stage 3 for your install.

If your motive in choosing Gentoo involves learning, you can make a success of installing and using Gentoo.

Heres something familiar to get you started Start

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry if the first install fails.
Simply reinstall trying to avoid the mistakes you made the first time.
And do not use the live install.It sucks.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that you use SystemRescueCD as you minimal CD.

You can download it here : http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=85811&package_id=88964

Good luck :P
isilia
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalos wrote:
Hi, and welcome to the Gentoo community! I would suggest reading the x86 handbook, as that is the one that you will use for your installation. I would like to offer a differing opinion than isilia about distributions. I started with Gentoo as my first version of Linux. Then I played around with some others, and ultimately I came back to Gentoo. I recommend starting with Gentoo because it will allow you to learn the inner-workings of a Linux system. The learning curve can be quite daunting at first, but if you need help, please just feel free to post some more questions here on the forum. :)

I agree with this but as you mentioned the learning curve is very steep, too steep for some people. As he was already puzzled by which arch to choose, I would suggest some other distribution. Even though I love Gentoo to bits at the moment I am quite sure I would not be using Linux today if I would have started with Gentoo as my first distribution (because of the learning curve being so steep).
Captain Newbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isilia wrote:
kalos wrote:

I agree with this but as you mentioned the learning curve is very steep, too steep for some people. As he was already puzzled by which arch to choose, I would suggest some other distribution. Even though I love Gentoo to bits at the moment I am quite sure I would not be using Linux today if I would have started with Gentoo as my first distribution (because of the learning curve being so steep).

General hints and tips:
(1) Google is your friend.
(2) Search before you post: the odds are one of us have already written something (although this is a good question you asked).
(3) Provide us with lots of information when you ask questions.
(4) Be liberal in what you accept and conservative in what you transmit.
(5) Listen to what Portage says, even if you think it's not important - it probably is.

Good luck! You'll find that this is simply too much fun :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: