Still no networking with A7N8X
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
second_exodous
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Still no networking with A7N8X Reply with quote

I still don't have networking with my board, I've looked everywhere, these forums, google, other forums, everywhere. When I recompile a kernel or enable the USB stuff for my mouse on the first kernel compile it breaks my networking.

When I recompile my kernel it just kills my networking, eth0 and eth1 cannot be found anymore. When USB mouse stuff is in play they are detected, and eth0 is even brought up, but network doesn't work.

I can't find any threads in this forum that mentions this problem. I hope that someone that has the Asus A7N8X DLX had this problem but fixed it without any help. I've tired giving both cards in it(the 3com and nVnet) an alias of eth0 but that doesn't seem to work. I've installed I think 6 times and still can't get it to work. Well, it does work on after the first kernel config and reboot as long as the USB stuff for getting my mouse to work isn't in the kernel.

Does anyone have any ideas of what's wrong?
(sorry If I seem a little desperate)

Thanx,
Stan
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

second_exodous,

I have a Ausus A7N8X DLX.

There is a 3com chip and an nVidia built in network. the 3com 'just works'
You need to uncomment the example in /etc/modules.autoload to load the module at boot time. (You need to include it in your kernel too).

The nvidia network is a pain. I only use one network port so I stick with the 3com one. However, the nVida network driver is not open source, so every time you build the kernel, it drops out. You must emerge net-misc/nforce-net after every kernel build. This builds a module, so you must have a module enabled kernel, even if you don't build anything else as modules, otherwise the kernel can't load it.

Regards,

NeddySeagoon

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
second_exodous
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have 3c59x uncommented in modules.autoload. It brings up etho, it gets [ok], when I have the usb mouse stuff compiled in for some reason it doens't work.

I tried the command dmesg | grep eth and nothing comes up, but yet at boot up it says eth0 was loaded fine.

Is there a log that shows the last boot up before you get all the [ok]? There is some stuff that flys by saying stuff wasn't found, but it goes by too fast.

Thanx,
Stan
second_exodous
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, I decided to try step 21, Final Network Configuration in the install guide again, and I didn't enable dhcp in /etc/conf.d/net this time around, must have not the last two installs.

Also, I recompiled to fix some errors I was getting(another post) and network still works even after I did that. Maybe things are working out now.

Wish I did this last week end, I'd be done by now, and it's only two days untill 1.4 comes out, what a waste. I do know this much more with problems like this, and won't forget to do things again.

I saw on other threads it has [solved] in it, how do I do that to this post?

Well, I'm off to get gnome and kde working.

Thanx,
Stan
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

second_exodous,

You don't need to install 1.4 - it won't get you anything.

To keep Gentoo up to date, do

emerge sync
emerge world -u

and now and again emerge world -uD

see emerge --help

Thats one of the beauties of Gentoo. Its as up to date as you want without installing a new version.

Regards,

NeddySeagoon

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: