View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: custom application icons? Reply with quote

how do i give custom icons to an application?

or, more specifically, i use fluxbox as my wm. firefox, google earth, etc. all get lovely icons in their title bars and in my pager, but my most frequently used app (xterm) does not. I would really like for it to use the Tango terminal icon, plus this will make my pager and fluxbox toolbar more visually interesting since all my xterm windows will actually have an icon to go with them. I was hoping that maybe there was some X Resource configuration that I could set, but initial research has yielded.
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The icons displayed with programs are configured in the files in /usr/share/applications, and since (on my system, at any rate) xterm doesn't have an entry in there, it just gets the generic Xwindow icon placed in it's title-bar.

If you want it to have some sort of terminal-icon that changes with your icon-theme along with your other app's, you could write an appropriate '.desktop' file for it and store it in the aforementioned directory - the freedesktop.org specifications are available here, and you could also look at your existing ones for referrence.

Post back if you'd like any suggestions about what to include, and i'll probably be having a bash at writing one anyway. :wink:
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow-up:-

Something like this might do the trick...
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Name=Xterm
GenericName=X-terminal
Comment=Terminal Emulator
Exec=xterm
Icon=utilities-terminal
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=System;TerminalEmulator;

Save it as /usr/share/applications/xterm.desktop and it ought to work, i think - it should also show up in dynamically generated menu's like the one in x11-misc/fbpanel or the pipe-menu i use in x11-wm/openbox.

The icon-name i included is the stock name in x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme (as installed on my box) - if you want to use your Tango terminal-icon no matter which icon-theme your system is using, you could include the full path instead of just the generic name which any standards-compliant theme could use (then again, standards-compliant themes aren't that common, yet). :twisted:

EDIT: I removed the 'StartupNotify' bit that got left in when i edited a copy of the Xfce-terminal's desktop-file. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: