View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: kde4 configuration nightmare. Reply with quote

Hello, I am trying to change the position of the widgets on a panel of kde4. They just keep snapping back. I also doesnt seem to find a place to remove background image from a panel/taskbar. I tried kde4 recently and I have the impression that beside looking nice, it lost much more functionality and configurability than it gained.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still in developpment.

I hope that kde 4.3 will be stable and great, because I may switch to Gnome because of that.
bernd_b
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no luck using kde4 either. The panel did anything but not what I expected it to do.

But there is still the stable and featurerich kde-3.5.10, so I see no reason to use gnome ....
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, but when kde 3.5.10 will die, then I hope that the new KDE 4.x will be great.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: kde4 configuration nightmare. Reply with quote

crazycat wrote:
Hello, I am trying to change the position of the widgets on a panel of kde4. They just keep snapping back. I also doesnt seem to find a place to remove background image from a panel/taskbar. I tried kde4 recently and I have the impression that beside looking nice, it lost much more functionality and configurability than it gained.

You should lock widgets to their places if you wish them to stay there :wink:
crazycat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would lock them if they stayed in position I dragged them to, but they just don't stay there. They always align themselves on the left. I kind of found ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc but can't figure out how to disable this alignment. There is a geometry parameter for some applets there, but some seem to have a negative value and some have a widht value bigger than my resolution.
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To move the widgets on kde-4.1.2 I:
(1) Close all applications to clear the taskbar of the icons of running applications.
(2) Right click the taskbar and choose "unlock widgets", if it is available.
(3) Right click the taskbar and choose "panel settings"
(4) Drag the taskbar widgets around the toolbar. It doesn't seem possible to quite drag them anywhere, but you can see lots of openings appear where they can be dropped. Unless you
do (1) the possible openings may be covered over.

The above works for me but is not guaranteed for others.

I like KDE-4.1.x and find it to be highly configurable. I installed it just to try it out and didn't like it at first. I forced myself to stick with it for a couple of weeks to give myself a chance to
get used to it and to use it properly. I love it now and would not consider going back.
However those who want the stablest kde should stick to kde-3.5.x.
When kde-3 came in I wouldn't touch it until kde-3.3 came out.
The question of when to upgrade to kde-n+1.x is not a new one. As always the choice is personal.
Personally I love kde-4 but i know people who are waiting a while longer to adapt it, because
kde-3.5.x is so great too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: