9%  [ 22 ]
no
71%
 71%  [ 157 ]
Total Votes : 221

senectus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: BOO FSCKING HOO Reply with quote

hackerError wrote:
:roll:

oohhh. you got me there... :P :lol:
Wise man say: A skilled troll is a master baiter.
cato`
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all transgaming packages should be removed after that request. And by all i meen the winex, winex-cvs and winex-transgaming ebuilds.

In the future I'll go for wine, not winex.
senectus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cato` wrote:
I think all transgaming packages should be removed after that request. And by all i meen the winex, winex-cvs and winex-transgaming ebuilds.

In the future I'll go for wine, not winex.

Thats your opinion.. I don't think they should be boycotted for helping the linux cause, and trying to make some cash at the same time..

They're a business.. to survive they need to make money.
the winex-transgaming is a very usefull addition to those of us that wish to support them.. even if we don't 100% agree with their methods..

Same as the Nvidia drivers.. I'm not going to stop buying nvidia because they don't opengl their drivers.. thats just dumb.
Wise man say: A skilled troll is a master baiter.
haren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my prior post about this subject also see my post in the thread Quakecon bound.

I'm All for using Winex. I dissagree about asking Gentoo to remove CVS, but it's their proagitive. I pay for it because unlike wine i can play my games I payed for back when i was tied to windows. I've got War3, JKII, SOFII, Half-life, and Worms Armagedon working and u know what I dont have to REBOOT. If only i didnt play Planetside & SWG, i would be linux bound 100% of the time.
hackerError
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: BOO FSCKING HOO Reply with quote

senectus wrote:
hackerError wrote:
:roll:

oohhh. you got me there... :P :lol:

I was at work and just wanted to hold that slot on the first page for my rant, I figured this thread may get long :P

That way when you insult them you're already a mile away and have their shoes.
phunni
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

senectus wrote:
phunni wrote:
The problem is that too many games manufacturers are refusing to port their games because they have heard a rumour (and that's often all it is) that their game runs fine in wineX

Several game ports have been abandoned for this very reason. Don't tell me that winex is good for linux gaming - I understand your arguments, but winex is proven to be damaging to linux gaming

Crap.
I doubt very much that successfull businesses are refusing to port their games because "they heard a rumour" that winex will cover their bases.
Businesses don't make business decisions like that on rumour, and conjecture.

Crap.

Stock markets crash on no more than rumour and (almost random) lack of confidence.

I can give you examples -

timdoctor website wrote:
Perhaps the worst problem with TransGaming is the fact they are potentially killing some native ports. WineX already killed a native port of Sacrifice. The port was in negotiation with Tribsoft, but they stopped negotiating when they found out that it worked (to whatever extent) under WineX

Also - the only game I would love to play on linux but can't is Championship manager 4. The web site for this has the following to say(not an exact quote but this is what they said):

my memory of a CM4 official site wrote:
CM4 is not available for Linux. This is because it SHOULD work under wine - although this has not been tested and is not supported

In other words - they actually don't know for certain that it will run under wine/winex but the fact that it might it enough to stop them porting it. Notice also that they are not completely ignoring the linux market and not porting because the dismiss it - if this was the case then they would not have bothered making the above statement. They are not porting because it might run under wine/wineX

For more examples go to the timedoctor site - link in my sig
cylgalad
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the poll speaks for itselft, Transgaming is losing, I think they want to get bought by M$ or some big game company, that'd shut them up :lol:
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transgaming is a pointless program and will soon be put out of its misery by some other little guy who starts up yet another wineX type program. This is how the game works, product fails, consumers boycott, users make a new item that will work the same.

Just give it time, some one will do it
skh0rne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: WineX May or May Not Die... Reply with quote

Quote:
Transgaming is a pointless program and will soon be put out of its misery by some other little guy who starts up yet another wineX type program. This is how the game works, product fails, consumers boycott, users make a new item that will work the same.

Yes, but here is where the problem lies:

If I understand correctly, Transgaming holds an actual license to the copy protection software, which is one reason you're paying cash. They license the technology to allow their code to run the game. So, you'd be looking at a little guy staring up another wineX type program that bypasses copy protection illegally or a philanthropist. Some people may not have a problem with bypassing copy protection illegally, but you'd still be stuck in the same boat, i.e. waiting for someone to add a patch to bypass the copy protection of the latest game.

Whether or not Transgaming's business model fails is another story entirely. :) I think it'll be more of a chicken or egg scenario: Linux needs WineX to demonstrate that Linux is a viable gaming platform. As developers take more notice of Linux as a gaming platform, perhaps more people will follow Id's lead and make native ports to the platform. Bioware did, and their games ( Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 ) ran under WINE. I hope KotOR gets a port...
mmealman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

In other words - they actually don't know for certain that it will run under wine/winex but the fact that it might it enough to stop them porting it. Notice also that they are not completely ignoring the linux market and not porting because the dismiss it - if this was the case then they would not have bothered making the above statement. They are not porting because it might run under wine/wineX

You're reading into their statement that they would've ported to Linux if Wine hadn't existed when they never stated any such thing. Basically them saying "Uh, you can use Wine, yeah." was just another way of politely saying "we're not going to spend money porting to an obscure OS so we can sell 10 more copies of our game".

Just because a company says "use wine" does NOT mean they would port if wine wasn't around. If a company is at all intersted in the Linux platform, they'll work with it from the start.

And from watching BioWare struggle to make NeverWinter Nights playable under Linux and the Mac, that's something most gaming companies certainly can't do overnight. Frankly I won't be suprised if NWN2 is windows only.
Squinky86
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been enjoying this thread and agree that native linux games would be ideal, but that just isn't happening (yet). What we're seeing are people like icculus starting ports of windows games. Hopefully, Gentoo Games will help with porting major Windows games, and even create some amazing games themselves. With such a great OS, I'd really like to see a large-scale gaming project for Linux, and hopefully Gentoo Games will pick up on that.
phunni
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmealman wrote:
Quote:

You're reading into their statement that they would've ported to Linux if Wine hadn't existed when they never stated any such thing. Basically them saying "Uh, you can use Wine, yeah." was just another way of politely saying "we're not going to spend money porting to an obscure OS so we can sell 10 more copies of our game".

Just because a company says "use wine" does NOT mean they would port if wine wasn't around. If a company is at all intersted in the Linux platform, they'll work with it from the start.

And from watching BioWare struggle to make NeverWinter Nights playable under Linux and the Mac, that's something most gaming companies certainly can't do overnight. Frankly I won't be suprised if NWN2 is windows only.

I agree - in this case they never promised to port anything (although there are other examples where a port was planned) - but the point is that they were not porting because they simply ignored or forgot the linux market - they just used wine as an excuse to not bother with it
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily, I can multitask. Not only do I pay $5 for the wonderful ability to not reboot into Windows, I use that hour of time I saved to email developers for native Linux ports so I can ditch Transgaming and their lame bullshit they pulled with Gentoo.

hjlane3 wrote:
Just wanted to add I'm all for LINUX gaming. But I'm completely against windows gaming in linux. Instead of spending $5 a month to support windows games, spend an hour or so writing nice, polite emails to the developers of your favorite windows games asking for them to port ( or atleast let icculus.org or linuxgamepublishing.com or others like it do it) their game.
Roguelazer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people are weird. If TransGaming were to be bought my Microsoft at 1PM this afternoon, do you think games would magically work for linux? Actually, there'd probably be LESS games ported to linux because less gamers would be using linux. Less polls would have a little linux percentage, less companies would care, and there'd end up with 0 games for linux, instead of the several dozen ported games that we have now. I don't really have sides since I only play one or two games period. However, I do know that if transgaming went away and left us with no way to play anything, you'd all want it back just as fast as you want it boycotted now. So whatever. Enjoy your boycott.

PS: If you must flame me, do it politely.
Registered Linux User #263260
phunni
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand - I want to boycott wineX (in fact I do) but I don't want it bought by microsoft- why would I?
Roguelazer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not going to last long if it's boycotted, is it? MS was just a name, replace it happily with, say, Bankruptcy Court.
Registered Linux User #263260
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transgaming has increased the demand for native ports simply by bringing those gamers on the edge of switching to Linux to Linux. They don't know it, but they might actually be putting themselves out of business.

To simplify for simple minded linux fan boy boycotters:

A gamer moves to Linux because all he plays is Counter-Strike and its well supported by WineX. Thats +1 luser for desktop linux. A new game comes out and there is no Linux port. Thats +1 linux gamer who is posting in the forums clammering for a Linux port, thats +1 linux gamer who is emailing developers. Thats +1 linux gamer who would buy the product. To get his gaming fix, he looks into native options. Thats + more money for retails selling Linux products.

That is exactly the same way Linux moved from obscurity, to a enterprise ready operating system. User by user. Users who believed in the movement and that their voice counted. Instead of boycotting technology that made Linux a solution for people, they embraced that technology, helped develop it, and so on.

Back in the day, Linux had fanboys in other areas. People who used Linux who would say "Linux is not scalable", "Linux will never be a good web server", "Linux will never be suitable for anything besides small tasks". What happened to all those fan boys, well, they shut the fuck up and probably moved to the Macintosh platform where dumb ass fan boys are more accepted.

Roguelazer wrote:
You people are weird. If TransGaming were to be bought my Microsoft at 1PM this afternoon, do you think games would magically work for linux? Actually, there'd probably be LESS games ported to linux because less gamers would be using linux. Less polls would have a little linux percentage, less companies would care, and there'd end up with 0 games for linux, instead of the several dozen ported games that we have now. I don't really have sides since I only play one or two games period. However, I do know that if transgaming went away and left us with no way to play anything, you'd all want it back just as fast as you want it boycotted now. So whatever. Enjoy your boycott.

phunni
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roguelazer wrote:
It's not going to last long if it's boycotted, is it? MS was just a name, replace it happily with, say, Bankruptcy Court.

Obviously that's the point - WineX is damaging to Linux gaming (for detailed reasons click link in my sig) - so we don't want it to last long.

I'm not just against WineX because of this recent gentoo thing - i'm against it because it's bad for Linux gaming
phunni
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: sorry for the double post - SQLBoy and I posted at the same time

SQLBoy wrote:
Transgaming has increased the demand for native ports simply by bringing those gamers on the edge of switching to Linux to Linux. They don't know it, but they might actually be putting themselves out of business.

If the demand has increased (not convinced) then the amount of companies willing to consider a port has decreased.

SQLBoy wrote:
To simplify for simple minded linux fan boy boycotters:

Oh you're one of those people who feels that he needs to win a debate by being rude - because he's not really convinced his arguments are good enough to stand up on their own merit

WineX is proven to be bad for linux gaming - there have been ports that have been abandoned because of it.

Also - I really don't believe that people move to Linux simply because they can play their favourite game (in winex or natively). Not being able to might, however, stop them coming to Linux even though they wanted to for another reason (better OS, or whatever). So the demand they create is already there before they even make the switch - that person would already like to see a native port of the game.

Plus - many people who play games in WineX do not really care about native ports - this is evident by the number of people who games that are available natively in WineX

Last edited by phunni on Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
kosamae
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roguelazer wrote:

I think his point, is that if WineX dissapears, then Linux will lose gamers, and if Linux loses gamers, than that reduces the likelyhood of native ports.

I will admit that I don't think that WineX is a Good Thing (TM), but I think that it is a neccessary thing for Linux to move to the next level. If there are 100,000 gamers using Linux, developers will have to listen when they scream for a Linux port of their favorite game, and saying it works it WineX won't be enough. When games were released for both Playstation and PC, did developers ever say, "Well, it works great in ePSXe, so we're not going to do a PC version now." No. When there are enough users on a platform, developers MUST make a decent product or it will not sell. Most major companies admit it- When Linux becomes a profitable platform, they'll be there with their games.
Also, while I'm ranting, I think soon, Linux will have more games than Mac, because it's starting to creep up to being almost as big as Mac, and it's much easier to port from DirectX to OpenGL on x86, then from DirectX on x86 to OpenGL on PowerPC. And, when you think about, Mac isn't THAT bad for gaming...
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phunni wrote:

If the demand has increased (not convinced) then the amount of companies willing to consider a port has decreased.

I'm not sure how this makes sense. Your saying, the more gamers that move to Linux, the less likely native ports will happen? How is that possible? Even though we use WineX, we all hate it. Its annoying to use and almost everyone gets different results.

phunni wrote:

Oh you're one of those people who feels that he needs to win a debate by being rude - because he's not really convinced his arguments are good enough to stand up on their own merit

Not really, but I've been using Linux since kernel 1.0 and everytime Linux just starts to make inrows into a new area, the fan boys come out of the wood work. Its annoying for the people who actually want to see Linux grow and understand whats involved in the process.

phunni wrote:

WineX is proven to be bad for linux gaming - there have been ports that have been abandoned because of it.

Good for Transgaming. As long as someone in the Linux business is making money, I am happy. Also, please name these games for us. I keep hearing that ports have been abondoned, noone can actually give me real mainstream examples. I could care less about Billy Bobs Rodeo Simulator.

phunni wrote:

Also - I really don't believe that people move to Linux simply because they can play their favourite game (in winex or natively). Not being able to might, however, stop them coming to Linux even though they wanted to for another reason (better OS, or whatever). So the demand they create is already there before they even make the switch - that person would already like to see a native port of the game.

The reason I used CS as an example was because I spent about 3 years on the HLDS mailing list and heard story after story of people switching to Linux totally after discovering WineX ran Counter-Strike. Even though most of them fall more on the developer side rather than gamer, the didn't have to keep rebooting into Windows to test their server mods. Also, MMORPG people running Ultima Online and EQ have been switching in the droves because of WineX. Just look at their forums and communities. WineX is a big topic.

Also, for many of my own friends and office mates, WineX was the final piece of the puzzle that allowed them to nuke their FAT32 partition. I'm really a casual gamer. I use to to give myself a reward for a good coding session. Play 1 or 2 maps of Urban Terror or work on my city in SimCity 4, then I'm back to the grind.

phunni wrote:

Plus - many people who play games in WineX do not really care about native ports - this is evident by the number of people who games that are available natively in WineX

I'm not really sure how you've come to this conclusion. Transgaming probably only worked on code for 2% of the games the app actually supports. Its the magic of programming. If I code a Linux app that listens for a specific win32 API call and converts it to something Linux can handle, in theory, any application that uses that API call will function better. So, by creating libraries that mirror the functionality of the DirectX DLLS, essensitally, you should be able to run any game once you have a 100% port.

When transgaming decices to specially work on a game, they simply make sure that all API calls are being translated correctly for that game. Fixing 1 game to work, might fix 10 others. For exmaple, if you get DirectX pixel shaders working for 1 game,they should work for all games. If you get a certain type of movie/cutscene API working, all games that utilize it should now have the cutscenes working.

I think many people who want to boycott are just like you. They do not understand the technology or have little or no clue about the goals of Transgaming. You just heard from someone that because of them, a native port of XX game was canceled.

If Transgaming rates a game as a 5, its pretty much native. Make an Icon to do the command line for you, you won't even know your using WineX.
phunni
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQLBoy wrote:
phunni wrote:

I'm not sure how this makes sense. Your saying, the more gamers that move to Linux, the less likely native ports will happen? How is that possible? Even though we use WineX, we all hate it. Its annoying to use and almost everyone gets different results.

I said this because companies who have planned ports have abandoned them because of WineX - for examples see my post above

SQLBoy wrote:
phunni wrote:

Not really, but I've been using Linux since kernel 1.0 and everytime Linux just starts to make inrows into a new area, the fan boys come out of the wood work. Its annoying for the people who actually want to see Linux grow and understand whats involved in the process.

What the hell is a "fan boy"? I want to see Linux grow and I want to see linux gaming grow - and I'm convinced that WineX is bad for Linux gaming. If you can demonstrate to me that I'm wrong then (rather than just being pretentious and rude) then I will change my position - so far I remain unconvinced

SQLBoy wrote:
phunni wrote:

Good for Transgaming. As long as someone in the Linux business is making money, I am happy. Also, please name these games for us. I keep hearing that ports have been abondoned, noone can actually give me real mainstream examples. I could care less about Billy Bobs Rodeo Simulator.

I have given examples above - you can click the link in my sig for at least one more. I also think it's good if a Linux company can make money - as long as it's good for Linux. I really don't believe transgaming's efforts are

SQLBoy wrote:
phunni wrote:

The reason I used CS as an example was because I spent about 3 years on the HLDS mailing list and heard story after story of people switching to Linux totally after discovering WineX ran Counter-Strike. Even though most of them fall more on the developer side rather than gamer, the didn't have to keep rebooting into Windows to test their server mods. Also, MMORPG people running Ultima Online and EQ have been switching in the droves because of WineX. Just look at their forums and communities. WineX is a big topic.

Also, for many of my own friends and office mates, WineX was the final piece of the puzzle that allowed them to nuke their FAT32 partition. I'm really a casual gamer. I use to to give myself a reward for a good coding session. Play 1 or 2 maps of Urban Terror or work on my city in SimCity 4, then I'm back to the grind.

As I said - a lack of game support may be the reason people don't make the switch and, I agree, that being able to play it in wineX may be "the final piece of the puzzle" . In that sense WineX may have helped in the short term - but it is bad for the Linux gaming market long term and therefore bad for linux long term.

SQLBoy wrote:
phunni wrote:

I'm not really sure how you've come to this conclusion. Transgaming probably only worked on code for 2% of the games the app actually supports. Its the magic of programming. If I code a Linux app that listens for a specific win32 API call and converts it to something Linux can handle, in theory, any application that uses that API call will function better. So, by creating libraries that mirror the functionality of the DirectX DLLS, essensitally, you should be able to run any game once you have a 100% port.

I came to this conclusion (as I said) because of the FACT that many people play games in WineX that they can play (almost always) better natively - certainly the native version will be the same quality AT WORST - mostly the will be better. Even so - many people still play those games on WineX.

Please read my post before making a comment.

SQLBoy wrote:
I think many people who want to boycott are just like you. They do not understand the technology or have little or no clue about the goals of Transgaming. You just heard from someone that because of them, a native port of XX game was canceled.

If Transgaming rates a game as a 5, its pretty much native. Make an Icon to do the command line for you, you won't even know your using WineX.

Who told you I don't understand the technology or that I just heard a rumour? You're making assumptions about me based on you're own prejudices that I must be a certain way because I don't agree with you.

This is again you feeling that if you can be rude and insulting about me then that must mean that you are more intelligent and that you are right. Except that it only means that you're rude
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:

Who told you I don't understand the technology or that I just heard a rumour? You're making assumptions about me based on you're own prejudices that I must be a certain way because I don't agree with you.

This is again you feeling that if you can be rude and insulting about me then that must mean that you are more intelligent and that you are right. Except that it only means that you're rude

Wow... ok, people have the right to have their own opinion people should be able to argue their points, but SQLboy, you sure you didn't take it a bit far? calm down there buddy.

WineX is a pointless application when we can simply find other alternatives to run our games. I have been without WineX for roughly 2 weeks, and all my games run fine.
If we have to have software like WineX out there or else we don't get more game ports, then I'm sorry, I'd sacrafice the game ports and find ways to get them to work. I will not support WineX or any of their bullshit
hjlane3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I came to this conclusion (as I said) because of the FACT that many people play games in WineX that they can play (almost always) better natively - certainly the native version will be the same quality AT WORST - mostly the will be better. Even so - many people still play those games on WineX.

This is exaclty the thing that made me furious at Transgaming! Browsing through there site, they have listings for games such as Quake3 and Wolfenstien, and many forum discussions too. They even link to the Quake3 Windows demo, but no link to the linux demo. It's just wrong to have them up there! They should at the least, comment in the games section that it's available natively. One recent example is that they support (offically) Medal of Honor, which is going to released by Icculus soon.

btw, if your an irc monkey/idler and support boycotting-winex or want to discuss (politely, no flames or rude insults) the subject, come on in #boycott-winex on irc.freenode.net .
kosamae
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hjlane3 wrote:
Quote:

This is exaclty the thing that made me furious at Transgaming! Browsing through there site, they have listings for games such as Quake3 and Wolfenstien, and many forum discussions too. They even link to the Quake3 Windows demo, but no link to the linux demo. It's just wrong to have them up there! They should at the least, comment in the games section that it's available natively. One recent example is that they support (offically) Medal of Honor, which is going to released by Icculus soon.

Okay, I've been arguing for WineX, but I've got to agree with hjlane on this one. It's really stupid for people to be using WineX to play games available natively. Especially games like Quake 3, which can be played natively without purchasing a Linux specific copy. And the Transgaming execs deserved to be castrated for officially supporting MOHAA. If I were currently a subscriber, I would be furious that they're spending MY money on worthless endeavours.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: