new openrc and vserver errors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RioFL
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: new openrc and vserver errors Reply with quote

We are exclusively linux-vserver oriented and have had good luck with openrc-0.3.0-r1.

Recently portage wanted to do an upgrade to openrc-0.4.0, so I did it on our least important vserver and got tons of errors on startup, so I went back to 0.3.0-r1 and placed the new version in package.provided for now. I tried today with 0.4.1 and still got the same errors which are:

Code:
OpenRC 0.4.1 is starting up Gentoo Linux (x86_64) [VSERVER]

* /proc is already mounted, skipping
* Mounting /dev/shm...
mount: permission denied                                                                                                                         [ !! ]
klogctl: Operation not permitted
* ERROR: dmesg failed to start
* Setting hostname to g64appstmpl...                                                                                                             [ ok ]
* Setting DNS domainname to netservicesgroup.com...                                                                                              [ ok ]
* Creating user login records...                                                                                                                 [ ok ]
* Cleaning /var/run...                                                                                                                           [ ok ]
* Wiping /tmp directory...                                                                                                                       [ ok ]
* Updating /etc/mtab...                                                                                                                          [ ok ]
* Initializing random number generator...                                                                                                        [ ok ]
* Starting syslog-ng...                                                                                                                          [ ok ]
* Starting chrooted named...                                                                                                                     [ ok ]
* Starting vixie-cron...                                                                                                                         [ ok ]
* Starting local...                                                                                                                              [ ok ]

The vserver does start and appears to be functional. All of the errors above are caused by code that is not permitted to be used within vservers. It appears openrc or some series of init scripts has lost its 'vserver-awareness' or maybe has changed to a flag I must now set somewhere? The lack of upgrade documentation regarding changes for something this critical is disturbing.

In any event I attempted to downgrade to 0.3.0-r1 only to find out that Gentoo, in its infinite wisdom?, has REMOVED ALL VERSIONS below 0.4.1 from its database and so now I am seriously stuck! We run monitoring systems that detect vserver boot errors and rentlessly page us when there are any so I need to fix this 'yesterday' since this particular vserver is one of several that are automatically started only when needed, with the rest running long term. Although the vserver appears to be functional after boot, I cannot have these errors at all. The new openrc required udev which we do not use in vservers, so I installed it and then uninstalled it afterward.

What must I do to fix this? Is there some flag to set to cure init from trying to execute these? Things worked perfectly with 0.3.0-r1 and to be blunt I would be perfectly happy to somehow reinstall 0.3.0-r1 and never upgrade it from there until it becomes production and I can be assured it will not cause errors in vservers any more. I have placed this in package.provided in every vserver for now.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
MalleRIM
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to downgrade, you can still get old versions from packages.gentoo.org
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/sys-apps/openrc/openrc-0.3.0-r1.ebuild?view=markup
This is not a definite solution, of course. I am using openrc-0.3.0-r1, too, because newer versions are causing problems on my computer too. I hope we will get a fixed version soon.
khippy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am at sys-apps/openrc-0.6.0-r1 on a new and fresh gentoo install, I have the errors described here and that's why current openrc versions is blocking getting my vserver up. Startup failes, initstyle=plain the same. Has anybody found a workaround/howto or is the solution near?

[SOLVED]
Well, my stage3 ball isn't openrc ready, right? So I decided to _think_ and here is the handout to get openrc into my stage3 ball (Note, this is no script, think before using!):

Code:
mount -t proc none /vservers/tux/proc/
mount -o bind /dev /vservers/tux/dev/
mount -o bind,ro /usr/portage/ /vservers/tux/usr/portage/
mount -o bind,rw /usr/portage/distfiles/ /vservers/tux/usr/portage/distfiles/
cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /vservers/tux/etc/
grep GENTOO_MIRRORS /etc/make.conf >> /vservers/tux/etc/make.conf
grep SYNC /etc/make.conf >> /vservers/tux/etc/make.conf
grep ACCEPT_KEYWORDS /etc/make.conf >> /vservers/tux/etc/make.conf
chroot /vservers/tux /bin/bash
env-update
source /etc/profile
export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
emerge -s baselayout
*  sys-apps/baselayout
      Latest version available: 2.0.1
      Latest version installed: 1.12.13
emerge -s openrc
*  sys-apps/openrc
      Latest version available: 0.6.0-r1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
emerge -av sys-apps/baselayout sys-apps/openrc
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.1 [1.12.13] USE="-build (-bootstrap%) (-static%) (-unicode%*)" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] sys-apps/openrc-0.6.0-r1  USE="ncurses pam unicode -debug" 0 kB
[blocks B     ] <sys-apps/sysvinit-2.86-r11 ("<sys-apps/sysvinit-2.86-r11" is blocking sys-apps/openrc-0.6.0-r1)
emerge -C sysvinit
emerge -av sys-apps/baselayout sys-apps/openrc
etc-update # ! # gentoo init style needs this (and nothing else)
dispatch-conf
less /etc/conf.d/rc
nano -w /etc/rc.conf
rm  /etc/conf.d/rc
# modules ?
# runlevels ?
# udev ?
cd /etc/init.d
mv net.vserver.openrc.bak net.vserver
echo Europe/Berlin > /etc/timezone
emerge -av syslog-ng app-admin/logrotate vixie-cron
rc-update add syslog-ng default
rc-update add vixie-cron default
exit
umount /vservers/tux/usr/portage/distfiles/
umount /vservers/tux/usr/portage/
umount /vservers/tux/dev/
umount /vservers/tux/proc/

And then, see this:
Code:
vserver tux start

vserver tux start

OpenRC 0.6.0 is starting up Gentoo Linux (x86_64) [VSERVER]

* /proc is already mounted, skipping
 * Caching service dependencies ...                                       [ ok ]
 * Setting hostname to tux ...                                            [ ok ]
 * Creating user login records ...                                        [ ok ]
 * Cleaning /var/run ...                                                  [ ok ]
 * Wiping /tmp directory ...                                              [ ok ]
 * Updating /etc/mtab ...                                                 [ ok ]
 * Initializing random number generator ...                               [ ok ]
 * Starting syslog-ng ...
Error opening file for reading; filename='/proc/kmsg', error='Operation not permitted (1)'
Error initializing source driver; source='src', id='src#2'
Error initializing message pipeline;
 * start-stop-daemon: failed to start `/usr/sbin/syslog-ng'
 * Failed to start syslog-ng                                                           [ !! ]
 * ERROR: syslog-ng failed to start
 * Starting vixie-cron ...                                                             [ ok ]
 * Starting local ...                                                     [ ok ]

And now, see lucky me :lol: :
Code:
 vserver tux status
Vserver 'tux' is running at context '*****'
Number of processes:  1
Uptime:               00:03

*** kewl ***
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: