nvidia agp stuff...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinuxDolt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: nvidia agp stuff... Reply with quote

i had been curious about tweaking my nvidia agp gpu, and found the following when cat'ing the nvidia stuff:

Code:
# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card
# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/host-bridge

gets me the following, respective:

Quote:
-snip-
Fast Writes: Supported
SBA: Supported
AGP Rates: 4x 2x 1x
-snip-
Fast Writes: Not Supported
SBA: Supported
AGP Rates: 4x 2x 1x
-snip-

this basically means that my card is capable of Fast Writes, SBA, and AGP Rates up to 4x, but my host-bridge can't do the fast writes... when i cat status i get the following:

Quote:
-snip-
AGP Rate: 4x
Fast Writes: Disabled
SBA: Disabled

so basically, my AGP Rate is the max i can do, which is good, my Fast Writes are disabled, as my host-bridge is unable to handle it, and my SBA is disabled even tho i am fully capable of handling it...

therefore my question is: what is sba, is it something i should want, and how do i enable it if i want it?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinuxDolt,

SBA is side band addressing. It makes no difference to the performace of your box.

What is does is to vary the AGP clock frequency slightly to spread the EMC emissions over a broader band than they otherwise would be.

Regards,

NeddySeagoon

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it will help performance much, but you can enable it by uncommenting the sba portion of /etc/modules.d/nvidia
LinuxDolt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
SBA is side band addressing. It makes no difference to the performace of your box.

with the above info... as in knowing that SBA stands for side band addressing, i proceeded to do a google search on "side band addressing" and i got the following:

3dSpotlight.com wrote:
Side band addressing. Side band addressing (SBA) enables AGP to use 8 extra (Side band) address lines in addition to the 32 main ones to transmit requests for data, which should further improve AGP performance. Those of you with PCI Graphics cards can ignore this option, or even Untick it altogether. When Grayed out SBA support will be automatically determined, though should you wish to force it be sure to Tick this option. NOTE – On some systems this can cause stability problems.

you had said:

NeddySeagoon wrote:
What is does is to vary the AGP clock frequency slightly to spread the EMC emissions over a broader band than they otherwise would be.

so i basically get the idea that it doesn't really effect performance much, but it might be able to tweak a little more efficiency at the cost of possible instability...

i think i am gonna give it a shot and if i burn up see if gateway will send me a new one :P (if nothing else, gateway is very good for giving away upgraded hardware if yours goes bad, even if the reason it went bad is your own tinkering...)

actually i have never really found my gateway provided hardware to have problems with stability, so i should be ok i would think...
Peaceable Frood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBA and Fastwrite don't really do much anymore, well maybe if your running a 2x AGP, but even then. All it really does is cause instablility on some systems.
LinuxDolt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just enabled SBA in my nvidia module a few hours ago and i dunno if a benchmark would show it, but i FEEL snappier, and i have not noticed any bugginess, so i think i'm gonna keep it enabled... anyone have any other tips for improving the performance of an nVidia GeForce4 TI 4200 AGP?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: