Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Not Sure]........................... Note sure -_-.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guerrier-cachalot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: [Not Sure]........................... Note sure -_-. Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm not yet sure to wanting to use Gentoo.
Because of : the "legendary" compilation time
simply the linux kernel, which everyone from *BSD systems seems say it's dirty, badly made, or complex ... and so one ! I didn't know how to respond to them. To tell the truth I'm attached to netbsd philosophie ... but they're not enough up-to-date for me and they don't understand that well-made or portable or reusable and so so one(they're very attached to their baby, aren't they ?!) system can ALSO be powerfull, as fast as others etc ...
So the "cathedral vs bazar" fanatism of BSD peope has reached me(it has begun when one person said about me : that's a big troll!! Go to your f**king GNU/linux ! ... or something like that :lol: ).

I'm also not sure to have enough hardware to be considered as a "power user"(I heard it's necessary for not spending all my time to compile...)
I've got a Pentium Celeron ... dunno more; 2 go memory, for the disk space, it's not the problem, but I prefer always being treasurer in space disk so don't wanna have half of the disk eaten by compilation lateral products :oops:

ps:I'm not native speaker; just 15 aged and lycean. How good is my english ? Please tell me I commit mistakes ;)
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and welcome to the Gentoo community. The best advice I have is to install Gentoo and see if you like its intricacies. It takes a lot of reading to learn, but I believe that it is well worth it. As far as the compilation times, they come with any source-based distribution, and they allow for Gentoo's USE flag system, which grants you the ability to customise your system to your needs. A good place to start is with the Gentoo Handbook. If you have any specific questions, please post them here on the forum. :)
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guerrier-cachalot wrote:
I'm not yet sure to wanting to use Gentoo.
Because of : the "legendary" compilation time
There is one way to be sure, try it. Between the forums, the mailing lists and IRC, not to mention the handbook and other documentation, you should be able to get any help you would need in setting up and working with the system.
guerrier-cachalot wrote:
I'm also not sure to have enough hardware to be considered as a "power user"(I heard it's necessary for not spending all my time to compile...)
Being a power user tends to be more about making the most of the hardware you have, not about having the most hardware, though that does not tend to hurt much. As for time spent compiling, it tends to not be much of a problem, unless you happen to be in a particular hurry to get a specific package installed, especially since the system can be left to compile things while you sleep or simply do so in the background while you use the system for other things. You might be interested in ccache and distcc to varying extents.
guerrier-cachalot wrote:
I've got a Pentium Celeron ... dunno more; 2 go memory, for the disk space, it's not the problem, but I prefer always being treasurer in space disk so don't wanna have half of the disk eaten by compilation lateral products :oops:
If you can boot a live CD, or the equivalent, with any reasonably recent Linux distribution on it, the contents of /proc/cpuinfo provide detailed information about the processor. Post the contents here if you want help with interpreting them or simply want opinions on the capabilities of the processor.
guerrier-cachalot wrote:
How good is my english ? Please tell me I commit mistakes ;)
I have read far worse from those raised with the language, it is certainly more than adequate so far.

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo Chat, as this seems more about whether to install than how it seems a slightly better fit here.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: [Not Sure]........................... Note sure -_-. Reply with quote

guerrier-cachalot wrote:

Hello! Compile times can get quite long with older hardware. One trick you could use, is mounting /var/tmp/portage (The directory where compiles take place) to RAM, there are some threads about in this forums. For the space usage: my / partition is 8GB, 3,5-4 used, you can delete much stuff when installation is finished.
Also, you could use the funtoo-stage3-archives www.funtoo.org), they are very up to date, which also saves much recompile time (system packages of which a newer version is available).
If you are concerned about "actual" software, use the ~arch branch which is more up to date. I didn't have big problems with this for a long time. ~arch used to be much more "unstable" a few years ago. Unstable in gentoo means that the packages are not very tested by the Gentoo developers. Most of them are marked "stable" by their creators, though.
And last, nobody forces you to use a shell-only or very minimalistic live cd during the installation process.
I often use a K/Ubuntu CD, so i can surf the web, listen to music and even watch movies during install :)
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martux wrote:
Also, you could use the funtoo-stage3-archives www.funtoo.org), they are very up to date, which also saves much recompile time (system packages of which a newer version is available).
Not all that much now.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
Not all that much now.

NICE :lol: :lol: :lol:
EDIT: But these are still stable snapshots, not ~arch which is much more up to date?!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: