Full duplex with intel8x0?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qnx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Full duplex with intel8x0? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm quite fustrated now.... I want full duplex, even without daemons like aRTs or ESD. I use ALSA.
Is there any way to get full duplex on an intel8x0-drived chipset, namely nForce2 built-in soundcard? Should I use OSS isteand?? ALSA works lovely, except that non-full-duplex-thing... How can I fix it?
Cheers!
Registred Linux user #191143!
Abit NF7-S rev. 2.00 (BIOS v. 2.7)
AMD AthlonXP 2500+ (Barton)
PATA Seagate ST3120022A
SATA Seagate ST3200822AS & Silicon Image 3112 chipset
Gentoo Linux :)
Woody
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by full-duplex you mean capture and playback at the same time, then
ALSA does this with this chipset.
qnx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh no, I mean ability to play several sounds at the same time, like:
* having xmms plaing music
* open xine and play a music video
* still be able to hear GAIM's buddy sing-on notification
and so on...
So, how about this?
Thanks,
Jacob
PATA Seagate ST3120022A
Hackeron
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find a few posts about software mixing support using alsa's dmix (I think it's alsa's anyway), but from what I've read it is worse than Arts or ESD and has loads of problems, especially with the nforce2. Some got it to work with internal via stuff, but I wasn't able to get anything reliable and stable with nforce2...

I took my old Sound Blaster Live! Platinum 5.1 out of my old PC and stuck it in this, much better now :)..

I've been screwing around with 2.4 and 2.6-test2 kernel with alsa drivers from cvs and stable and tried the nvidia sound drivers trying to get this nForce onboard shit working and I suggest you simply give up NOW and just buy a cheap emu10k1 chip based sound card, trust me you won't regret this move!

Creative Sound Blaster 'MP3' edition is probably a good budget solution... If you don't need the extra effects, etc, might as well get the 'Value' edition, you really want to get some REALLY nice speakers for that kinda soundcard though.. I HIGHLY recommend the Logitech Z-560 THX® Certified 4.1 Speakers - 400 Watts ($120).. .. They are recommended as one of the best speaker systems for the PC and produce absolutely stunning results.. google for some reviews and keep in mind standard speakers like the Playstation2 speakers are like 30 Watts, so you have some power to work with :)

If using emu10k1, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT! use the alsa drivers with it, although it seems you get more mixers out of the box, they are seriously screwed up.. just emerge emu10k1-driver and edit /etc/emu10k1.conf and run emu10k1-script to commit effects, the support is actually as good as (if not better) than in windoze! Absolutely incredible driver support, especially from the CVS releases.

If you however dont want to listen to my advice and insist on trying to get software mixing to work (software mixing = being able to play more than 1 sound at a time), then I suggest you look at: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=51260&sid=77ffece32552a42241630c641f42b8b1

PS: Although this sounds like a paid for commercial, I just would like to take the opportunity to say Creative doesn't pay me, and nor does Logitech, I'm just an extremely happy user :)
qnx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh.. let me make something clear here: I'm a total n00b when it comes to computer sound system's hardware level. I have some questions that someone perhaps can explain to me??
As we know, Windows/MacOS and so on can open many programs and all those programs can use soundcard at the same time. So does it mean that these OSs have a system sound daemon that handles it? Or is it built in in hardware, so it can kinda "listien" to many programs at the same time and play sound requested by those programs?

And Linux now. Either I use aRTs or something similar or I can only play one sound a time BECAUSE Linux's/my soundcard's drivers aren't able to play many sounds at the same time without special "wrappers"?

And one of techincs that makes full-duplex possible is something called dmix which is a part of ALSA? So, practicaly, aRTS and dmix do the same thing, only on different levels: aRTs lays upon sound driver and dmix IS a part of the driver, right??

It's the way I understand it.. Can anybody make it clear now?? Hope that somebody at least understands what I'm asking for :lol:

Cheers!
PATA Seagate ST3120022A
Woody
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So does it mean that these OSs have a system sound daemon that handles it?

Yes. In windows there is directX and in mac is it coreaudio? anyway, they
use a sound servers. However (this is getting more common) cards may
provide multiple interfaces or digital mixing. But for most low end stuff,
you need a sound server.

Quote:

And one of techincs that makes full-duplex possible is something called dmix which is a part of ALSA? So, practicaly, aRTS and dmix do the same thing, only on different levels: aRTs lays upon sound driver and dmix IS a part of the driver, right??

Yes, but this is not called full-duplex. A better term is mixing. The sound
servers provide software mixing. Full-duplex means simultaneous capture
and playback of audio. This was an issue with crumby old creative cards
and the free OSS drivers.
qnx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh sorry for mixing up the terms :oops:

But now it feels better to know something at least =)

But, what should I do then to try out the dmix stuff?? Cause I really don't have cash right now to buy a new sndcard =)
Thanks,
jacob
PATA Seagate ST3120022A
qnx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, saw https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=51260 now. Will check it out =)
PATA Seagate ST3120022A
pZYchO
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there...

windows don't have a sound daemon, or if, it doesn't software mixing... On M$ System you'll have the same problem with old soundcards. That's why I bought a Soundblaster Live several years ago...
I don't know what exacly realize the feature you are looking for (I'm looking 4 it 2, because i have the same problem... But I've got a laptop, so I can't buy a new sndcrd =))...
DirectX is not a kind of daemon, it's an api collection... What ever, what you meant is DirectSound... =) But it's not a daemon, it's not a part of windows, meaning, not every program uses directsound to playback sound...

Greetz
pZYchO
pZYchO
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there...

windows don't have a sound daemon, or if, it doesn't software mixing... On M$ System you'll have the same problem with old soundcards. That's why I bought a Soundblaster Live several years ago...
I don't know what exacly realize the feature you are looking for (I'm looking 4 it 2, because i have the same problem... But I've got a laptop, so I can't buy a new sndcrd =))...
DirectX is not a kind of daemon, it's an api collection... What ever, what you meant is DirectSound... =) But it's not a daemon, it's not a part of windows, meaning, not every program uses directsound to playback sound...

Greetz
pZYchO
SavageMindz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
windows don't have a sound daemon, or if, it doesn't software mixing

Erm I think windows does have a sound demon that does software mixing however you are correct that it is not Directsound. I think (but dont take this as gospel) that Direct sound is api's for access one of the hardware mixing channels on your soundcard through a standard interface. Got this from a mate so not sure how true it is but he is pretty up on windows so I believe him.

In the case of dmix under alsa i wasted at least 2 weeks on this a got nowhere (I have an nforce 2 as well). Eventually gave up and got my spare sblive out and now have 2 cards in the machine which unforuntunalty means I have to use alsa for the sblive(found the oss drivers much better but you can only have 1 card with oss). Works ok though basically xmms plays out to my living room stereo and the nforce thing play everything else thought I didi have to trun off arts but thats ok as the kde noises where starting to bug me anyway.

Just my 2cents.

Savage
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: