JFS in Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UNIX4ALL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:08 pm    Post subject: JFS in Gentoo Reply with quote

Ahul !:

Well, Im writing this from a Gentoo box with JFS filesystem, It works very fine, this is really bleeding edge :D. Well, the steps for put JFS in your Gentoo box are simple.

1) Make the partitions with the installer of any distribution who supports JFS.
2) Reboot and start the Gentoo Installation
3) mount the partitions in /mnt/gentoo but with this mount -t jfs /dev/*** (where *** are yours partitions).
4) Install all normally.
5) In the step of the kernel configuration get the gentoo-sources and put JFS support IN THE KERNEL, not at module.
6) emerge jfsutils
7)In /etc/fstab in fs type put -> jfs
8) Install Grub or Lilo (I use lilo because grub doesn't see my hd :idea: )
9) Reboot and enjoy JFS Speed and Power :D.

Ar-Timirnit
monotux
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any disadvantages with jfs?
I know there are a few things to have in mind while using XFS (like don't shut it down ^^). I have understood (aka. I read it in the gentoo installation guide :)) that JFS is quite young, and not very tested - it it anything to use on a server, or should I stick to reiserfs or etx2/3?
sca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not as mature as ReiserFS or XFS and doesn't support Quotas and Extended Attributes (but POSIX-ACLs).
I read that JFS is in average faster than ReiserFS (with big files >= 2GB) when writing and generally faster when reading.
But that's just one Benchmark, so don't kill me if I'm wrong ;)
(Für Deutsche, der Test ist im 'Linux Magazin' 03/2004)
ArtMotion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Filesystem Reply with quote

For me, I will never install Reiserfs on any harddisk as long as I want that data to be safe!

I was running a small (1GB Ram, 2,4 GHz CPU) Linux Server, which had to run Oracle 10g database and Squid.

After doing some database benchmarks, the Oracle had never completed to full benchmark. First I believed it was the fault of the Oracle 10g database, since it is very new and Gentoo is not certified for it. Then I found a lot of vs-... errors in the dmesg output. After some googling I found out that this error is ReiserFS related and it is possible that the disk is damaged :(
Okay, bad day, but I couldn't believe that the system and the database disk should break at the same time. So I did "reiserfsck --fix-fixable" on all partitions.

Oh, Boy! Ext2 never had so many errors! The system was totally shit.

Okay, I reinstalled everything again from scratch. Again with ReiserFS. 1 week uptime. No reboots. No errors in dmesg -> rerun Oracle benchmark -> again doesn't complete. A look at dmesg showed again f#cking Reiserfs problem.

Reinstalled again everything with ext3. Did benchmark again. Completes. No troubles in dmesg.

Accidentily unplung powercable (uups). Server rebooted. Did Oracle benchmark again -> still works :)

So. If anybody says Shitfs, ehm Reiserfs, is mature or stable: haha. ext3 works at least. Not that the Oracle does something bad, as my configuration uses only datafiles (= big files, where Oracle works inside them).

That's why I also have my notebook running not anymore on Reiserfs but on XFS. After switching to XFS (full backup, format with XFS, restore, lilo) I also have 300 mb more free space :) (I was not using Reiserfs tailpacking, since this is an other topic of problems).

Then I switched my notebook also to ext3, since I feels a bit faster than xfs, at least for what I use my notebook.
Dr Gonzo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used ReiserFS since I've been using Linux, for over 2 years. I've never had a data corruption.

However, I have recently had some screwups with a JFS partition a couple of times. I had a problem with kernel panics, and my JFS partition would always be unmountable afterwards. Mount would just say that it was the wrong type of FS.

Ext3 is okay, but very slow compared to Reiserfs. BTW, I think that ReiserFS is really designed more for handling a lot of small files, not very large files. Don't really know, as I have no experience with Oracle.

George W. Bush
Rhyotte
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Jfs works well Reply with quote

Hello,
JFS has worked well for me for well over a year now. I have never had any problems with it and i have purposely Powered Down repeatedly just to punish it and see if it could bounce back gracefully as what i read about it. Also you may want to go to Shark Linux website they use JFS as their primary PRODUCTION file system for their distro. From what I have read they have some pretty serious server hardware configs running in full on production enviroments. One word of caution, as per one of the Developers of JFS make sure you are using JFSUTILS 1.1.6.

Peace
stahlsau
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
i kept using JFS for the last few months without any problem. Reiser4 proved very slow for me, so i went to JFS; later /me was bored and changed to XFS, again w/o a hitch.
Only noticed that XFS and JFS are very fast compared to reiser3/4.
hoschi
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am using jfs, too
no problems now

i read also the test in the linux magazin 03/04 (german), their "result":

jfs = fastest
xfs = fast, less work for cpu
reiserfs = very fast with small data, but in average operations slower than xfs/jfs, higher cpu-usage
ext2/3 = erm, old....

why i use jfs:
hmmm, why not?
i have no 4kb data, i want a fast filesystem, i have fast cpu (3600+), i like ibm (ok, there was a dark area in the past), i dont like the name "reiserfs"
kalisphoenix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*giggles*

I was freaking out there, for a second.

"WTF! Gentoo removed JFS support?"

And then I read again and realized that the thread was started two years ago.

Man, these thread resurrections fsck with me.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stahlsau wrote:
hi,
i kept using JFS for the last few months without any problem. Reiser4 proved very slow for me, so i went to JFS; later /me was bored and changed to XFS, again w/o a hitch.
Only noticed that XFS and JFS are very fast compared to reiser3/4.

Do you have any timing figures to back that or is it just "feels fast"?

I'm a bit surprised you refer to reiser3/4 , they are completely different filesystems, have your tried them both?

There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinion on this subject , it would be good if you have some hard data.

I have been using reiser4 for portage for a couple of months with no hangups. This is probably an area where small files are common and I can gain from r4. Also it is non-critical in the sense that if an emerge screws up I wont lose data. (But like I say , I've had no trouble.)

BTW I use 2.6.6-love4 kernel since more recent love* seems still to have pbs on r4. some ppl reporting errors may be using kernels that still have issues with r4, which is after all still definately classed unstable.

8)
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoschi wrote:
i am using jfs, too
no problems now

i read also the test in the linux magazin 03/04 (german), their "result":

jfs = fastest
xfs = fast, less work for cpu
reiserfs = very fast with small data, but in average operations slower than xfs/jfs, higher cpu-usage
ext2/3 = erm, old....

why i use jfs:
hmmm, why not?
i have no 4kb data, i want a fast filesystem, i have fast cpu (3600+), i like ibm (ok, there was a dark area in the past), i dont like the name "reiserfs"

Quote:
i have no 4kb data,

Maybe not data but I'll bet you have hundreds of thousands of sub-4k files on your system. Look in /usr/src/linux or in your PORTAGE_TMPDIR. The vast majority of these files are under 4k.

Quote:
i dont like the name "reiserfs"

So try reiser4 :D . I know what you mean though, it sounds a bit german to me. :wink:

It's interesting to have a feminine angle on things from time to time.

Personally I think "Gentoo" sounds a bit childish and the logo makes me barf, but I aint about to dump my favourite OS for RedHat 'cos I prefer the colour.

So geht's . Gute Reiser !
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: