transcode failing within dvdrip
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nando
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: transcode failing within dvdrip Reply with quote

I'm trying to pull the main track of a dvd, but the ripping stage never finishes. Looking at the logs, it's failing when transcode is trying to pull off the preview pane:

Sat Dec 2 01:32:58 2006 Start job 'Process preview frame - title #1'
Sat Dec 2 01:32:58 2006 Start job 'Grab preview - title #1'
Sat Dec 2 01:32:58 2006 Executing command: mkdir -m 0775 /tmp/dvdrip7339.ppm; cd /tmp/dvdrip7339.ppm; execflow transcode -H 10 --print_status 25 -o snapshot -y ppm,null -x vob,null -i /home/chamilto/dvdrip-data/zardoz/vob/001/ -S 8 -c 8-9 -L 1547829 && execflow convert -size 720x480 /tmp/dvdrip7339.ppm/snapshot*.ppm /home/chamilto/dvdrip-data/zardoz/tmp/zardoz-001-preview-orig.jpg && execflow convert -size 720x480 /tmp/dvdrip7339.ppm/snapshot*.ppm gray:/home/chamilto/dvdrip-data/zardoz/tmp/zardoz-001-preview-orig.raw && rm -r /tmp/dvdrip7339.ppm && echo EXECFLOW_OK
Sat Dec 2 01:32:58 2006 Job 'Rip - title #1' finished
Sat Dec 2 02:12:16 2006 Rip selected title(s) / chapter(s): 20% done.
Sat Dec 2 02:12:16 2006 Process title #1: 20% done.

I'm guessing dvdrip eventually gives up on this process because it's still hanging around in my process list. The status of dvdrip remains at "Grab preview - title #1". If I run the above command manually, it just chews up cpu for a while and then stops.

The preview images aren't a big deal. The transcode button won't come on unless it successfully completes the full rip, so if I restart dvdrip I'm able to transcode the file using ffmpeg. That'll run about two hours until it gets to about %99.9 and then it stops.

I've got four dvd's sitting on my desk right now, and two complete successfully, and two hang every time.
coolsnowmen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the dvd's scratched? maybe trying doing just the dvdrip to check and see
I use vobcopy...like this

Code:
vobcopy -l -m -o ./ -t `lsdvd | grep "Disc Title:" | cut -d':' -f2`

shakti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the dvd's that dont work from the same distributer? Sony? I had some problems with sony dvd's, now i use dvdshrink in wine.
nando
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not a sony. Vopcopy finishes fine and the disc doesn't look scratched.

I reran one of the dvd's and killed off the hanging transcode process. It threw up an error, and I didn't get a preview image, but I was able to use the transcode tab to crunch it down into an avi.

No dice for the other one. I kill off the errant transcode process that's trying to create the preview images, and get the same error message. It seems to have pulled the vob's ok and I can mplayer all of them no problem. However when I try to transcode them it gets to 99.67% on pass 1 before hanging on this:

Wed Dec 6 22:45:58 2006 Executing command: mkdir -m 0775 -p '/home/chamilto/dvdrip-data/headofstate/tmp' && cd /home/chamilto/dvdrip-data/headofstate/tmp && mkdir -p /home/chamilto/dvdrip-data/headofstate/avi/001 && execflow -n 19 transcode -H 10 -a 0 -x vob -i /home/chamilto/dvdrip-data/headofstate/vob/001/ -w 887,50 -F mpeg4 -b 128,0,2 -s 1.378 --a52_drc_off -f 24,1 -M 2 -R 1 -y ffmpeg,null --psu_mode --nav_seek /home/chamilto/dvdrip-data/headofstate/tmp/headofstate-001-nav.log --no_split -o /dev/null --print_status 25 && echo EXECFLOW_OK

I'm using the ffmpeg codec, so I'll try a different one and see if that makes any difference.
razholio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: this is a transcode issue, not a DVD issue Reply with quote

I get the same problem with the preview image generation failing. At this point the DVD has been ripped just fine and transcode is called to pull preview images out of the VOB's. The transcode command here:

Code:

transcode -H 10 --print_status 25 -o snapshot -y ppm,null -x vob,null -i /home/myca/tmpstor/dvdrip/arlington_road_freevo/vob/001/ -c 7-8 -L 6771

hangs in state Sl+. Here's what the ps man page has to say about this:
Code:

S    Interruptible sleep (waiting for an event to complete)
l    is multi-threaded (using CLONE_THREAD, like NPTL pthreads do)
+    is in the foreground process group

This tells me it's a transcode problem (or one of transcode's dependencies) and it might be related to NPTL (based on the 'l' and other threads mentioning this). I've played with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL giving it values like 2.6.17 with limited success. I seem to remember that working at least one time. I have nptl and nptlonly in my use flags and have recompiled just about everything on my system (updates and manual re-emerges of transcode, dvdrip and others). I know that glibc has been recompiled with the nptl use flags set.
pezplaya
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same problem...
theCoder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a similar problem with dvdrip and transcode. It took a look at the stack of the transcode process and found it's calling usleep() from the endcode() function:

Code:

(gdb) where
#0  0xb7f06410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1  0xb7c6c0c6 in nanosleep () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0xb7c98afa in usleep () from /lib/libc.so.6
#3  0x0805e37d in encoder ()
#4  0x08058c81 in main ()

I think it might be waiting for some process to finish. I checked the pstree for the transcode process, and it has launched a shell process that is currently is a defunct (zombie) state. This is probably what is holding up the encoding, but I'm not sure why this is happening.
neurosis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates to this? Fixes? I'm having the exact same problem..

-unknown
atoz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm experiencing it as well.

Some (old) threads on the transcode mailing list discuss what seems to be this very issue. It seems to be a problem with threading (just like one of the previous posters suggested) and a workaround is presented, forcing it to use LinuxThreads instead of POSIXThreads. Here's one thread discussing it:
http://www.itdp.de/transcode-users/2005-02/msg00029.html

AFAIK, this is the same workaround as is now in dvd::rip, under preferences->miscellaneous->Workaround transcode NTPL bugs. Unfortunately, these are disabled for me. Trying the workaround "manually" seems to confuse the linker...

Code:

lars@saturn ~ $ LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 dvdrip
/usr/bin/perl: error while loading shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
lars@saturn ~ $ ll /lib/libpthread.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2007-02-28 19:17 /lib/libpthread.so.0 -> libpthread-2.5.so

Anyone know why the option is disabled, or perhaps have a workaround that... well... works? :)
azote
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same issue.... they seem to be disabled for me 2..... any solutions?

What do you want to emerge today?

if you think that a person is normal, it is because you do not know them well
JasonB87
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here's something to try. On the transcode tab disable Use PSU core.
I was trying to transcode videos and they kept hanging at 99% so I eventually tried a bunch of stuff and then came to this. After I disabled it, the file transcoded like a charm.

Let me know how it goes.
atoz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonB87 wrote:
Ok here's something to try. On the transcode tab disable Use PSU core.
I was trying to transcode videos and they kept hanging at 99% so I eventually tried a bunch of stuff and then came to this. After I disabled it, the file transcoded like a charm. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for the tip! That does, indeed, seem to fix it.

Of course, by disabling PSU core, you obviously lose the benefits that this would have given you, i.e. better A/V sync, particularly on NTSC titles. From the dvd::rip documentation:
Quote:

The PSU core is a transcode mode, which applies a special handling for movies consisting of several PSU's. PSU stands for Program Stream Unit, and is a DVD internal concept of dividing the video stream into independent parts.

With NTSC sources (and also some PAL movies) these PSU's may cause serious A/V synchronization issues, which the PSU core mode tries to solve (for NTSC movies dvd::rip switches PSU core by default on). This works for most movies. If you can't get proper A/V sync with your movie (even with PSU core enabled), please contact the transcode developers and provide sample material.

I haven't done any extensive testing how much of a problem it is to disable PSU core, but I guess time will tell. For now I'll disable it as a last resort if the transcoding just won't work otherwise.
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd throw this in as well; I was having a problem with dvd::rip failing in the transcode phase a little after 99% on the 1st pass and disabling 'Use PSU Core' did the trick. This is with transcode v. 1.0.7 and dvd::rip v. 0.98.9.

Yes, it's a year and a half later and the same problem still exists with transcode. :P
Tuxenstein
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also having this problem and even though "Use CPU core" is disabled for me by default (I'm assuming this is the setting everyone is referring to as "disabling" the CPU? If not, which other setting and/or where is it?) under "transcode", it still continues to present the same problem for me. :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: