System clock set incorrectly on shutdown [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Frankenbox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: System clock set incorrectly on shutdown [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Every time I shut down my Gentoo system, it sets the system clock to a seemingly random time and date. It used to be off by six hours, which could have been due to issues with UTC vs. local time (I'm at UTC-6), but lately it's been off by days, weeks, or even years. There's no discernable pattern anymore. I've been having this problem, or a variant of it, for years now, but I've never bothered much about it because as long as ntp is working, it doesn't matter. Still, there are times when it is irritating. If my network connection is down, then I have to set the date and time manually, and every time I load Windows (I dual boot) I have to set the time manually because Windows has a stupid rule about not syncing with an ntp server if the date is wrong. Is there anything I can do about this issue, at least to stop Gentoo from setting the system clock on shutdown?

Last edited by Dr. Frankenbox on Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
m_spidey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There

Can you check your /etc/conf.d/clock ?

Don't know if this section helps you.

# Set CLOCK to "UTC" if your system clock is set to UTC (also known as
# Greenwich Mean Time). If your clock is set to the local time, then
# set CLOCK to "local". Note that if you dual boot with Windows, then
# you should set it to "local".

CLOCK="UTC"
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: System clock set incorrectly on shutdown Reply with quote

Dr. Frankenbox wrote:
Every time I shut down my Gentoo system, it sets the system clock to a seemingly random time and date. It used to be off by six hours, which could have been due to issues with UTC vs. local time (I'm at UTC-6), but lately it's been off by days, weeks, or even years. There's no discernable pattern anymore. I've been having this problem, or a variant of it, for years now, but I've never bothered much about it because as long as ntp is working, it doesn't matter. Still, there are times when it is irritating. If my network connection is down, then I have to set the date and time manually, and every time I load Windows (I dual boot) I have to set the time manually because Windows has a stupid rule about not syncing with an ntp server if the date is wrong. Is there anything I can do about this issue, at least to stop Gentoo from setting the system clock on shutdown?
You must be running with CLOCK="local" for Windows sake.

Some time ago there was a bug in the ordering of the execution of the initscripts in baselayout (mount time) and the system clock was set as if the hardware clock's time was UTC. This would account for your 6 hours out.

However, you now have much larger skews: you say it's the hardware clock being set to a random time and date. Have you tried checking that the BIOS shows this random time after closing down Gentoo?

It might be that the clock battery is foutu and, after powering off the machine, it loses its time setting (you don't say years in the future or years in the past).

However, to answer your question: setting
Code:
CLOCK_SYSTOHC="no"
in /etc/conf.d/clock — it's the default setting — will stop the hardware clock being set on closing down.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
Dr. Frankenbox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I definitely noticed that bug back when it was acting as if I'd set CLOCK="UTC" when I'd set CLOCK="local". This is definitely something else now. I don't think it's the battery since I don't seem to be losing my other settings, but so many things are auto-detected now, it's possible I'm just not noticing it. Thanks for the info on CLOCK_SYSTOHC. Oddly, that seems to be set to "no" right now, so I don't know why my system would be setting the hardware clock. I'll try setting it to "yes" once to see if it sets the correct date and time.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it is time to replace your RTC battery in the mother board.
also u can set clok to local time upon closing or reboot by set in /etc/clock.
ntpd keeps trackof time sync.
in windows also u have time sync in windows XP
if other windows you can use emsa time sync free utility.
i am also dual booting no problem in clock.
Dr. Frankenbox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, setting CLOCK_SYSTOHC to "yes" seems to have done the trick. Just FYI, using time sync in Windows doesn't set the system clock. (that or there's a bug in my Gentoo install that sets the clock incorrectly when CLOCK_SYSTOHC=no)
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope you have installed ntp
and ntpd sets your clock and in turn /etc/conf.d/clock set to yes will keep your time upto the minute
Duncan_L
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Clock Network Daemon Reply with quote

Hey all a while ago I vaguely remember hearing about a Daemon that activates as an init script which regulates the time according to a time server or something.

Does this ring a bell for anybody and if so do you know how I can install it?

thanks
honp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i think that you want ntp (client probably).

H.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above two posts here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: