Emulator for ATmega16
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raniz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Emulator for ATmega16 Reply with quote

I've just started a course where we design a digital system based around an ATMEL ATmega16 (MegaAVR family) microcontroller. We're given an account on computers at the university that has a development environment for it, but I want to do this at home since the computers at the university uses windows and most likely doesn't have vim.

I'll need the following to be able to develop for it:
  • Emulator
  • C compiler
  • Assembler
  • Debugger

I'm currently emerging gcc for AVR using crossdev, so compiler and assembler (and possibly debugger?) should be taken care of, what I need most help with is finding an emulator for it.

I think it's free to download the development studio from Atmel, but it's for windows, so I'd prefer a linux-based alternative it it were available. Otherwise I'd appreciate if someone knows if AVR Studio works with Wine.
ewaller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use simulavr and it works great. It provides a backend to gdb.

You did not say what you are using to program the device. Must people use an in-circuit programming pod that can range from a bit-bang type device driven by a parallel port to an intelligent programmer with a USB interface.

If you can, I recommend a JTAG programmer instead. The nice thing about that is you can take advantage of the on-chip ICE resources. With that, you can download the program and then attach to the target device with gdb and set breakpoints and examine memory and registers of the target device.

Also, if you want a nice IDE complete with code completion, I find that netbeans does a great job of unifying the development, compiling and debugging with an emulator.

To talk to the target, you will want avrdude and avr-gdb. AVR-Insight is a good front end to avr-gdb.
ewaller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot. You need avarice as a backend to gdb when you want to talk to real hardware. Conversely, use use simulavr as the back end when you are running simulations.
Raniz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to do uploading to the device at the university since I haven't got the tools at home. I just need the emulator for testing my code at home and then I'll transfer everything to the university and upload it to the device.

I'll have a look at simulavr, thanks.
ewaller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, enjoy the AVR course. It is an amazing little processor (once you get used to the Harvard architecture)

If you do want the tools, you might take a look at http://www.kanda.com/products/Kanda/STK200ICE.html
DISCLAMER: I am in no way associated with Kanda -- I just like their products.

The kit they provide includes a target board, an in-circuit programmer, and a JTAG pod for US$129.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: