View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: ati-drivers-8.561 and X cause black screen/unresponsiveness Reply with quote

Criminy, I know that there's a bug report about the latest ati-drivers and/or xorg-server having issues with busted symlinks, but all mine are fine! And I re-emerged all the xf86-input-* packages. And I ran 'eselect opengl set [xorg-x11 then ati]' to fix any symlinks I might have missed.

And yet, after updating my kernel, and/or ati-drivers, startx just gives me a black screen (if I'm root). If I startx as a regular user, it pops up the regular X screen for a second, and crashes back out. If I run gdm, I get the login screen, but there is no response from mouse or keyboard. Executing 'killall X' (from another box over ssh) works if I just run startx, sometimes, but trying to start the X server with gdm makes it impossible to get back to a console without rebooting (which I have to do with 'init 6' through ssh).

Running top shows that the system is idle. The only errors I get on the console is stuff about requests "not being processed (errno -11) after [500 or so] known processed"

I've gone through the rigmarole of deleting the symlinks in /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions, re-running 'eselect opengl set ati', and so on and so forth. I'm stuck. Can anybody tell me how to get around this mess?

Gentoo kernel, ati-drivers, xorg-server, etc., are all at their latest. This was running fine this morning, but I've updated packages since last reboot, and bumped up one kernel version (2.6.28-gentoo to 2.6.28-gentoo-r1).

UPDATE: Here's the error I get when I try to run startx from ssh:

Code:
xinit:  Resource temporarily unavailable (errno 11):  Cannot register with ConsoleKit: org.freedesktop.CkConnector.Error: Unable to open session: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 0
waiting for X server to shut down XIO:  fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server ":0.0"
      after 596 requests (592 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

UPDATE 2: It doesn't just quit to a black screen if I kill X remotely: apparently if boots me to some console output, because I get system calls when I plug in USB devices ("new usb device found at address..." etc. etc.), but if I use Alt-F2, I get to a login prompt. I can then get back to the regular login prompt on the first console with Alt-F1.

Thanks,

EE
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: