View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quag7
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering myself if there was some kind of status page somewhere on this (non-official is fine), covering things such as overall stability, bug report trends, and/or some kind of sense of timeframe for KDE4 going into stable (if ever) - are we weeks, months, or over a year away? I know this is a very general imprecise question but I'm just not sure if/when to take the plunge.

Not complaining. KDE 3.5.9, which I'm running now, is rock stable, and I'm not in any big rush, but I'd like to migrate before we get to a point whereby 3.5.x is no longer being maintained.
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KDE section of this link should give the information you want

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Projects_Status

It also provides a link to the official page
pingufunkybeat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow -- 27 pages. Not about to read through all this. Is it worth the upgrade? How painful/risky is it?

It's not very painful, and it is quite stable for me. Very pretty. If you are looking to do regular stuff, it's worth a shot. Most of the instability is related to random plasmoids. Some people report the odd instability, but it seems stable for most.

If you have a very complex 3.5 setup you wish to recreate, it could be more painful. Or if you rely on many external applications. Amarok 2 is ok, but doesn't have all the functionality of the previous version. There is no K3b or Kaffeine. On the other hand, KMLdonkey works great and SMPlayer is a great Kaffeine replacement. The new Digikam is great.

I didn't regret switching at all.
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:
Fuchs wrote:
epsilon72 wrote:
How does one get kde 4.2 to suspend to ram correctly? I can type 'sudo hibernate-ram' in the terminal and it'll do it, but clicking on 'sleep' in the battery applet only locks the screen and selecting 'suspend to ram' in the shutdown dialog does nothing.

Make sure that the pm-utils work for you, kde uses those by default.

Fuchs

Oh. I don't even have those installed, heheh. Thanks.

Just wanted to echo this tidbit, as I was having the same problem getting my laptop to hibernate to ram (standby, S3). I also did not have pm-utils installed. Emerged and all is well. I have a properly working laptop. Thanks to everyone for sharing your know-how. :)
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My konqueror does not recognize any application when I run it under other wm (e17 for instance), so everything I try to open it displays "Open With" dialog (which appears completly empy, no program in the list), which is kinda annoying. Anyway, I type the program name and check the "Always remember this choice". It opens the file but don't remember anything, next time I'm obligated to do that again :S

Anyone got this?
Riklaunim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I want to deleta a file in KDE4 from Konqueror for example I get a plasmoid with some progress. And it even can get multiple when I hit Del few times, screen: http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/eea78cffa261203b.html
I have to click on the icon in right top corner - the progress moves but the file is still there. shift+del works, but it deletes a file, doesn't move it to trash. Is there a way to KILL this plasmoid and make the del work AS it should? :)
reavertm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riklaunim wrote:
Is there a way to KILL this plasmoid and make the del work AS it should? :)

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/01/todays-tip-turning-off-fancy-schmancy.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Page 28 of 28

Jump to: