Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 26, 27, 28  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:
Well, window resizing is still slow as hell with nvidia and desktop effects. I hope they fix that sometime. Otherwise 4.2.0 is working pretty good for me.

I had that problem on an nvidia card but the problem solved itself, I think it was ~amd64 qt or something like that that did the trick. Every time I resized fps dropped to 2, now I can maintain high fps while resizing no problem.
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
epsilon72 wrote:
Well, window resizing is still slow as hell with nvidia and desktop effects. I hope they fix that sometime. Otherwise 4.2.0 is working pretty good for me.
Turn off the "show content while resizing",- it will become bearable.

Thanks, that does help some when all of the 'shinies' are turned on.

neuron wrote:
epsilon72 wrote:

I had that problem on an nvidia card but the problem solved itself, I think it was ~amd64 qt or something like that that did the trick. Every time I resized fps dropped to 2, now I can maintain high fps while resizing no problem.

Are you talking about your x11-libs/qt version? I'm using qt 4.4.2, which looks like it's the highest version available in portage.
Boccaccio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is referring to nvidia-drivers. You should give 180.27 a try. It works nicely here.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was refering to qt, I'm assuming he's running 180.xx nvidia drivers.

It wasn't the Qt package itself, it was qt-core or something like that that was updated to a -r1.

I see I have qt-core 4.4.2-r1 and qt-gui 4.4.2-r2 installed (and qt-assistant r1, but I doubt that could be it).
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron wrote:

It wasn't the Qt package itself, it was qt-core or something like that that was updated to a -r1.

I see I have qt-core 4.4.2-r1 and qt-gui 4.4.2-r2 installed (and qt-assistant r1, but I doubt that could be it).

Yes, I am using the latest nvidia drivers. I'll try unmasking and emerging those qt packages. Do you think I'll have to remerge any KDE4 stuff afterwards?
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:
neuron wrote:

Yes, I am using the latest nvidia drivers. I'll try unmasking and emerging those qt packages. Do you think I'll have to remerge any KDE4 stuff afterwards?

I didn't, but it cant hurt ;)
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't emerge any kde packages again either - I just restarted everything and tried desktop effects again, and it works much better now ;)
Not perfect, but definitely usable, unlike before.
Carnildo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:
So, what is everyone's opinion of 4.2.0, besides the install errors?

It's slow. bloated, ugly, and unstable. Neither my prefered widget set (Keramic) nor my prefered window decorations (System++) nor my preferred icon set (Crystal SVG) appears to be available, and the default themes are all too dark (the only one that isn't heavy on the blacks is heavy on the dark blues). Dolphin and Konqueror both enforce a "single-click to open" paradigm, when I've been double-clicking for the past 20 years. You lose a great deal of screen space to empty areas, you can't place plasmoids under an autohiding panel (what's the point of autohiding, then?), the default fonts are about 50% larger than in KDE 3, and there's gratuitous use of large decorations. The desktop crashes if you look at it crosseyed, Akonadi fails to start but doesn't give you enough time to read the error message, and Phonon doesn't produce sound. I've turned off about half the graphical effects because they give an impression of slowness, and there are others I wish I could turn off because they actually do slow things down.

If they'd just add the occasional UAC prompt, they could market KDE 4 as a Windows Vista clone.
chris.c.hogan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: ruby-cpufreq Reply with quote

I've been plying with a few of the plasmoids. One of them, CPU Frequency Selector, seems to require a Ruby package. It's asking for the ruby-cpufreq package. I'm not finding anything in portage. Does anyone know which package provides this?

Thanks,

Chris
Xamindar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

platojones wrote:
Xamindar wrote:
Havin_it wrote:
I logged out of KDE, changed the configfile to use kwin instead of compiz, and it worked!

What config file is that? At the moment kde4.2 always starts up with kwin, then compiz loads after that and replaces kwin every time which I imagine adds a lot of time to my startup. I want to use compiz, is there a way to have it load right off the bat instead of kwin?

I haven't tried this myself...I'm using compiz-fusion with kde-3.5.10, but not 4.2...but you may want to have a look at this:

http://forum.kde.org/compiz-fusion-autostart-kde-easy-way-t-30390.html

Thanks a lot. That is exactly what I need if it would work. For now it just fails to launch it and then reverts back to kwin.
StringCheesian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnildo wrote:
epsilon72 wrote:

[...] Dolphin and Konqueror both enforce a "single-click to open" paradigm, when I've been double-clicking for the past 20 years. [...]

System Settings -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Mouse -> General -> "Double-click to open files and folders (select icons on first click)"

You might like KDE 4.2 (or at least hate it less) if you use OpenBox as window manager (and customize it with smaller fonts etc).
Xamindar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of large fonts. Everything in kde4.2 seems too small for the font used. Google gadgets that have to display letters and numbers never fit correctly and browsing files with dolphin is hard to read as it only shows a few letters of the filename before adding a "...".

Also, for example, mousing over the battery charge indicator seems to show "00%" as the text is too large to fit the whole "100%" in the view.
pingufunkybeat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any hints for nvidia users stuck on legacy chipsets (GeForce FX and the like)?

Unfortunately, the 177 and 180 drivers do not support my chipset, so I have to use the 173 version. I have the latest one, but things are still sluggish. I guess all the cool fixes have bypassed us with older chipsets. Resizing windows takes seconds, literally. I'm on qt-4.4.2-r1.

Would upgrading to xorg-x11 7.4 help?
Boda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoi!

Anybody having trouble activating some of the kwin desktop effects?
For me none of the effects under Desktop Effects->All Effects(tab)->Accessibility works, nothing at all happens.
Desktop Effects->All Effects(tab)->Candy->Snow kicks me out to console mode, alt-F7 returns me to a working desktop.
All of the other desktop effects seems to work. Under Kde 4.1.4 invert,snow and track mouse effects worked for me.

Anybody having some idea?

I am running a dual screen setup with a laptop Lenovo T61P, OS is gentoo 64 bit system(X86_64 Intel) with LUKS encrypted root and swap.
Nvidia drivers 180.27
Twinview and xinerama activated.
Kernel is 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 SMP.
Xorg-server 1.5.3-r2 (tried 1.3.0 as well)
xorg-x11-7.4 (tried 7.2 as well)
Kde 4.2.0
tihkal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yep me too...

Nvidia-drivers seem to be the key. Using 177.82 is slow but stable. Switching to ~amd64 180.27 results in serious hard locks, requiring the sysreq combo in order to even reboot. I can using various xorg.conf options and/or invoke glx based programs get it to hard lock at different times. However hard lock it invariably will and is completely useless for general use. (nowt useful showing in any logs, it just goes straight to a hard lock of the whole system)

I'm sticking with slow but reliable performance for the time being...

That and the fact that lots of plasmoids don't work is annoying*, but I am happy enough with 4.2 to sick with it and start solving stuff though. Amarok2 is still unusable for me with a large ipod and podcasts, and it's a shame k3b isn't ready yet.

*weather plasmoid crashes plasma, and adding extra plasmoids rarely seems to work reliably.
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery life doesn't seem too hot even with desktop effects turned off...:/
Kwin is so demanding performance wise that it kicks my nvidia video card into high gear often..
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingufunkybeat wrote:
Are there any hints for nvidia users stuck on legacy chipsets (GeForce FX and the like)?

Unfortunately, the 177 and 180 drivers do not support my chipset, so I have to use the 173 version. I have the latest one, but things are still sluggish. I guess all the cool fixes have bypassed us with older chipsets. Resizing windows takes seconds, literally. I'm on qt-4.4.2-r1.

Would upgrading to xorg-x11 7.4 help?

One can pray, but don't count on it. It's kinda ironic to hear this from an NVIDIA user, as I've always felt (/been made to feel) a bit inadequate for having an Intel chipset, whereas NVIDIA/ATI users always seemed to be rejoicing in the best new graphical toys. Unfortunately, I guess legacy hardware of any kind from any manufacturer will always start to suffer in the Linux world simply because the number of people owning the kit dwindles. With open drivers, that means issues can't be troubleshot directly by a developer, and there are ever fewer of the kind of enthusiastic users ready to get involved with the bug-resolution problem themselves. All you can really do is make your own voice heard, file good-quality bug reports and signal your willingness to assist with troubleshooting work. If the driver is proprietary and unsupported, you can't even do that much ... something worth factoring into your spec for a new machine if you hope to put Linux on it. Sad, but true.
jut24
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: kde 4.2 strange problem Reply with quote

Hi,
I have successfully installed kde4.2 but I am having a weird problem when I press ctrl ^c kde crashes and exits to kdm (like restarting xdm) then when I try to login in it freezes on a white screen. Is this an issue with kde4.2 or an issue with xorg-server-1.6 rc2, or powerdevil any help would be appreciated.

Jut
Carnildo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StringCheesian wrote:
Carnildo wrote:
epsilon72 wrote:

[...] Dolphin and Konqueror both enforce a "single-click to open" paradigm, when I've been double-clicking for the past 20 years. [...]

System Settings -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Mouse -> General -> "Double-click to open files and folders (select icons on first click)"

I'll keep that in mind for when KDE 4.3 comes out. Maybe by then they'll have fixed the slowdowns and crashes, ported the apps and appearance I use, and developed some themes that don't look like they're about to go off and start cutting themselves. Until then, KDE 3.5.10 works just fine for me.
Xamindar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnildo wrote:
and developed some themes that don't look like they're about to go off and start cutting themselves. Until then, KDE 3.5.10 works just fine for me.

Oh cry me a river! I am so glad the theme is dark. I have been so sick of every operating system having only bright themes that work. I tried really hard to get gnome to use some dark themes but I always hit a snag with things that didn't want to make white text on a drak background and ended up with unreadable applications. So stop complaining about *ONE* silly theme that is dark and change it.

And I don't know what's wrong with your pc but kde4.2 has rareky crashed on mine, and I use pretty questionable things like ati drivers, compiz, and wine to run some windows games. There are of course little bugs here and there but nothing that hinders my use of the system.

If all you are going to do is complain in this thread then we can do without you. Try to be constructive and positive for once.
Xamindar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnildo wrote:
you can't place plasmoids under an autohiding panel (what's the point of autohiding, then?), the default fonts are about 50% larger than in KDE 3.

These are valid points, the fonts ARE too big causing them to not fit many things. Anyone know of a way to make them smaller desktop-wide?
And plasmoids have placement issues. Whenever I play a little Diablo 2 and then come back to my kde desktop the plasmoids have now moved to a small top left corner of the screen and they seem to have a new "border" exactly the size of the resolution of Diablo 2. Dragging them back to their locations (outside the imaginary border) does nothing as they just force themselves back in the top left corner again. This can only be fixed by logging out and back in again which is hardly something I want to have to do. Hopefully they will fix this soon.
Snake
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am writing from KDE4.2 on freshly installed Gentoo. The installation was almost without a problem, just had to mask a few packages. It looks fine but I have a problem regarding Konsole key bindings and appearance. I used to have key bindings shift+left/right for tab switching and ctrl+alt+n for new tab in kde3.5 and I think these were default settings, but I can't set the same bindings here. I am also missing transparent background and I don't know how to disable tabs on the bottom of the konsole, I like borderless look.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: kde 4.2 strange problem Reply with quote

jut24 wrote:
Hi,
I have successfully installed kde4.2 but I am having a weird problem when I press ctrl ^c kde crashes and exits to kdm (like restarting xdm) then when I try to login in it freezes on a white screen. Is this an issue with kde4.2 or an issue with xorg-server-1.6 rc2, or powerdevil any help would be appreciated.

Jut

That's an X issue I believe, I had that in some earlier versions with unsupported patches, it's X picking up keystrokes outside, so your effectivly clicking ctrl+c on X, this is also a major security issue as it echo's all your keystrokes on the terminal.
jut24
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: kde 4.2 strange problem Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification neuron.

Jut24

neuron wrote:
jut24 wrote:
Hi,

Jut

That's an X issue I believe, I had that in some earlier versions with unsupported patches, it's X picking up keystrokes outside, so your effectivly clicking ctrl+c on X, this is also a major security issue as it echo's all your keystrokes on the terminal.
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of positives for a change:

The New Device Notifier plasmoid is improved. I have a USB hard drive with 2 partitions on it (one NTFS, one a Truecrypt raw volume) and it previously refused to mount the NTFS partition. It works like a charm now, including unmounting.

Just did a folder copy in Konqueror, and I like the way the copy dialogue hides in the systray (although I didn't spot the unfamiliar icon for a while, and thought the copy had silently puked). Aaron Seigo has said they have further plans for the systray, and now I can see my icons again :D I'm looking forward to further innovations.

The ability to choose Konqueror over Dolphin as default file-manager is improved too; it's honoured in places it wasn't before, and you don't have to piss about with file associations to achieve it as it's now in System Settings > Default Applications.

Another change I've spotted in krunner: the K Menu search component is now case-insensitive, which makes it a helluva lot easier to intuitively use it to open the apps you want. It also remembers the history across a reboot now, so it's usually just a matter of a single keypress + ENTER (after those to activate krunner, that is) to open your regularly-used apps. I've not used the actual menu button since, apart from when needing to log out rather than shutdown*.

*There's one gripe at least. Previously CTRL+ALT+DELETE brought up a dialogue with three options: logout, shutdown and reboot. Now it's only shutdown - why? And can this be reverted? I still have "Offer shutdown options" selected in SystemSettings > Session Manager, so what's up?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 16 of 28

Jump to: