[SOLVED] 64 bit Install question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d1universe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] 64 bit Install question Reply with quote

Hello all,

I was getting ready to install gentoo when I came across a post about Core2 processors. Now, this was a severe oversight on my part, but I originally assumed that I had a Core Duo, 32 bit processor. Apparently my core2 T7200 is a 64 bit processor.

Two questions, the first is, which liveCD do I use? AMD64 or i686?

The second pertains to the installation itself. I keep seeing posts saying x86_64 build specifications, then some posts talk about using AMD64 for x86_64, so I'm a bit confused. Is there a good installation guide/post somewhere that I could read so I can figure all this out?

I'm still a little in shock that I've been running a 64bit processor without realizing it for the past year...

Thanks.

Nathan

Last edited by d1universe on Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now stick with i686, until you have a worthwhile reason to go 64 bit (eg > 4GB ram). To get some wares to work on an amd64 host ("same thing" as x86_64 / 64 bit) you'll be dealing with emul libs, maybe chroots. Because the software don't have native 64 bit support yet. Do you really want the trouble? Perhaps set up a new partition for an amd64 system and test it until you are happy. Keeping your main system i686 in the meantime.
pjw.roudier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Your CPU model is 64bits capable. It means it can run 64bits operating systems and programs.
But not only can your CPU run 64bits code, it can also execute 32bits OSes and programs.
This way, PC hardware is backward compatible with software written in the past.

So far, you've been using a 32bits OS, which put your CPU in 32bits mode and allow you to run 32bits progs. But you can also install a 64bit OS so that you can run both 64bits and 32bits software. Yes, a 64bits OS can run 32bits programs, though it requires some libraries. But these libraries are installed by portage like any other libraries so don't worry.

It think reading the article on wikipedia could help you get the big picture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_64.

Now the real question is: do you need a 64bit OS? It has pros and cons. The debate is widely covered everywhere on the web, just google it for details.
My advice: if your computer has less that 4GiB of RAM, stick to 32bit.
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whig wrote:
For now stick with i686, until you have a worthwhile reason to go 64 bit (eg > 4GB ram). To get some wares to work on an amd64 host ("same thing" as x86_64 / 64 bit) you'll be dealing with emul libs, maybe chroots. Because the software don't have native 64 bit support yet. Do you really want the trouble? Perhaps set up a new partition for an amd64 system and test it until you are happy. Keeping your main system i686 in the meantime.

I used to think that too, but recently, with some additional hard drive space, decided to create a 64 bit installation on a spare partition to see what didn't work...in short, I discovered everything worked perfectly (stable and seems faster, though I don't have the benchmarks to prove any speedup). My conclusion is there is no reason not to go to 64 bit. It's the future and you'll never have to worry about a painful upgrade (or dealing with PAE) when you go beyond 4 GB.

To answer the OP, you'll want amd64.
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for now only java nsplugins does not work out of the box with amd64, yet with 5 command lines you can get it to work, so there are no more so many reasons to stick to 32bit.
Inodoro_Pereyra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a good guide: The Gentoo handbook for AMD64.

That's all you will ever need.

Cheers!

Si no fuera por C, estaríamos escribiendo programas en BASI, PASAL y OBOL.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: 64 bit Install question Reply with quote

d1universe wrote:

Two questions, the first is, which liveCD do I use? AMD64 or i686?

If you want a 64-bit install, use the AMD64 media. If you want a 32-bit install, use the i686 media.
d1universe wrote:
The second pertains to the installation itself. I keep seeing posts saying x86_64 build specifications, then some posts talk about using AMD64 for x86_64, so I'm a bit confused.

64-bit support goes by many names. AMD got their 64-bit extensions out before Intel, so amd64 is the traditional name for 64-bit capable processors that build on the x86 framework. Intel confused things with Itanium, also known as IA64, which is completely different. Intel calls their 64-bit extensions EM64T. You have an EM64T processor, not an IA64 processor. For purposes of installation media, AMD64 and EM64T are compatible, so look for things marked amd64 if you want to use 64-bit support.
gentoo-dev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 64 bit Install question Reply with quote

d1universe wrote:
The second pertains to the installation itself. I keep seeing posts saying x86_64 build specifications, then some posts talk about using AMD64 for x86_64, so I'm a bit confused. Is there a good installation guide/post somewhere that I could read so I can figure all this out?
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=2#doc_chap1
d1universe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: RE: 64 bit Install Question Reply with quote

Just wanted to thank everyone. =)

Went through the referenced Wikipedia article, read through the AMD64 Handbook, and got everything all figured out.

Thanks again,

Nathan
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: