Gentoo 64 bit - SecondLife 32 bit & Voice Audio [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Gentoo 64 bit - SecondLife 32 bit & Voice Audio [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello guys :)

I am having some strange problems with second life (pre compiled) and audio chat.
Basicly what happens is:

I can hear and play or sorts of sound but not audio voice chat. I have set all the voice options preferences properly and even had some help with it to see if it was improperly set.

For some reason, if i click on "active speakers" to see who is using voice chat at the moment; i cant get the list of the speakers as well as to click on the volume bar there or main speaker to mute or unmute.

Most help i have seen is for ubuntu and it doesnt help me. (so far)

Second Life version.
Linux i686 (Beta) 1.19.0.5

Sould i compile from source? is this a second life linux client issue with gentoo ?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance :)

edit:
i found this
Code:
$ ./SLVoice
./SLVoice: error while loading shared libraries: libvivoxsdk.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

CertFP: becbbd161d5a5c31de3c45171b77bf710911db29 / d985d21f89fe2977b593c4d381a1a86802e62990d9328d893db76d59f9935244

Last edited by HeXiLeD on Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:57 am; edited 7 times in total
Jimeh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you check and see if the following file exists and post the content (if any):

~/Library/Logs/Vivox/siplog.txt

I also have problems with the voice component of the Second Life client (1.19.0/1) and I have a feeling that we may be encountering the same issue.

If my hunch is correct then you should find mention of an out_of_range exception being thrown by basic_string::substr in siplog.txt. Just make sure you don't check the log after verifying the information below and running the SLVoice binary directly, the error only occurs when the Second Life client attempts to communicate with the running process of the SLVoice component.

P.S. The SLVoice executable requires access to the shared libraries located within the lib directory of the client directory hierarchy; this is the reason you received an error. When running the client the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environmental variable is defined with the location to the aforementioned directory. You can verify this yourself by running 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib ./SLVoice' within the appropriate directory.
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. out_of range

Quote:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
what(): basic_string::substr

From the wiki:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Voice/Linux_Sound_Settings

Have you tried any of these options that they present for debian or ubuntu ?

CertFP: becbbd161d5a5c31de3c45171b77bf710911db29 / d985d21f89fe2977b593c4d381a1a86802e62990d9328d893db76d59f9935244
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a guy on second life with linux and he has it all working properly.
(using linuxmint | www.linuxmint.com )

I told me to get this version:
Linux i686: 1.19.1.1 (Beta) (55 MB)

http://secondlife.com/community/downloads-optional.php

After running it at least now i get more devices shown under voice chat settings.
He told me use ONLY alsa and make sure that SL only uses ALSA.

I still have a few errors and audio is not playing. but al least now there has been some progress.

I have too sound cards:
Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03) and Intel High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

Q: What sound card do you have ?

Currently the errors that i am having are :
Code:
idle_startup: Initializing Multimedia....
grab_gst_syms:127: Couldn't load DSO:
startup:179: Couldn't find suitable GStreamer 0.10 support on this system - video playback disabled.

And i have gst-plugins-xvideo, media-libs/gstreamer & dev-perl/GStreamer installed

Related to audio:
Code:
INFO: assetCallback: Boom, error in audio file transfer: Circuit gone (-23017)

Code:

NFO: setUpstream: AssetStorage: Setting upstream provider to 0.0.0.0:0
INFO: LLAudioEngine_FMOD::init() initializing FMOD
INFO: init: Trying ESD audio output...
WARNING: ESD audio output FAILED to initialize: Error initializing output device.
INFO: init: Trying OSS audio output...
INFO: OSS audio output initialized OKAY
INFO: init: Audio output: OSS
INFO: LLAudioEngine_FMOD::init() FMOD initialized correctly
INFO: setStartupState: Startup state changing from 0 to 1
INFO: idle_startup: Initializing Multimedia....
grab_gst_syms:127: Couldn't load DSO:

It goes back to OSS. while i have set alsa in the settings.

from ~/Library/Logs/Vivox/siplog.txt
Code:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
  what():  basic_string::substr

I will be trying to figure out where the issue is today and i will post more details if i do any progress.

Jimeh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeXiLeD wrote:
I found a guy on second life with linux and he has it all working properly.

The majority of GNU/Linux users seem to have little problem with the voice component. This particular issue seems to only occur on x86_64 optimized GNU/Linux operating systems; which is, just to clarify, what I am using and I assume you are too.

HexiLeD wrote:
He told me use ONLY alsa and make sure that SL only uses ALSA.

The Second Life client itself does not handle the actual data that comprises the voice communication, information (such as a user you wish to initiate voice communication with, available audio related devices, microphone status etc) is transmitted betwen the client and the Vivox daemon using an XML based messaging system over a socket.

HexiLeD wrote:
And i have gst-plugins-xvideo, media-libs/gstreamer & dev-perl/GStreamer installed

As noted above this would have no impact on the voice component, as it is GStreamer is only used for displaying in-world media. As for the related error/warning, if my above assumption (that you are running a 64bit Gentoo OS) is correct, you probably only have 64bit compatible GStreamer libraries installed; the 32bit SL client requires 32bit libraries.

HexiLeD wrote:
I will be trying to figure out where the issue is today and i will post more details if i do any progress.

I've done some investigation of my own, looking over the client source and running some tests (i.e. strace) on the daemon. I'm no expert at debugging software but this is what I've managed to narrow it down to thus far:

During startup (or after activating the voice option in the preference window) the Second Life client starts and sends a request to the daemon to create a "connector" object (basically an attempt to initiate the voice component), the client then waits for the daemon to respond. The daemon successfully receives this request but (and as we well know) something goes awry and an std::out_of_range exception is thrown and the response is never sent.

The problem also seems specific to the request for a "connector" object and not inherent in the process of receiving and sending data between the client and daemon. The 1.19.1 release candidate additionally requests the available render and capture devices from the daemon. These requests are handled successfully and appropriate responses returned; the reason you see a number of listed devices in the 1.19.1 client preference window.

To date I've observed the above behavior on every release candidate / stable release in the 1.19 series. I added to a bug report about this problem during the RC release of the 1.19.0 client from an Ubuntu user. The response from the Lindens was that 64bit operating systems were not supported. I took this to mean that they don't actively investigate problems experienced by users on these systems.

I'll keep you posted on any developments.
Jimeh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, some more information hot off the press. Playing around with gdb it seems the problem lies (not surprisingly) in libvivoxsdk.so, more specifically the oscommon2::SplitNameValueFile() function called by oscommon2::MachineInfo::MachineInfo(). The name of these functions ties up nicely with what I was seeing when using strace, with some of the last system calls being to open and read from /proc/cpuinfo. Despite all this information I fear I'm not much closer to pinpointing the exact problem.

I'm starting to wonder if there's something unique about the format our /proc/cpuinfo files that the function doesn't anticipate and "trips" over. I'm assuming the SplitNameValueFile() function reads /proc/cpuinfo and splits it into name value pairs (i.e. either side of the colon, name: vendor_id, value: GenuineIntel).

If you could post the output of `cat /proc/cpuinfo` that might be of some use to me.
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your detailed information. You have done way better than me.
If you need any more specs about my system just click on "My system hardware and software SPECIFICATIONS"
I have everything there in detail.

Code:
processor   : 0
vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
cpu family   : 15
model      : 4
model name   : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
stepping   : 3
cpu MHz      : 3200.000
cache size   : 2048 KB
physical id   : 0
siblings   : 2
core id      : 0
cpu cores   : 1
fpu      : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level   : 3
wp      : yes
flags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall lm constant_tsc pebs bts sync_rdtsc pni monitor ds_cpl est cid cx16 xtpr
bogomips   : 6427.36
clflush size   : 64
cache_alignment   : 128
address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor   : 1
vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
cpu family   : 15
model      : 4
model name   : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
stepping   : 3
cpu MHz      : 3200.000
cache size   : 2048 KB
physical id   : 0
siblings   : 2
core id      : 0
cpu cores   : 1
fpu      : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level   : 3
wp      : yes
flags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall lm constant_tsc pebs bts sync_rdtsc pni monitor ds_cpl est cid cx16 xtpr
bogomips   : 6421.90
clflush size   : 64
cache_alignment   : 128
address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

From what i read so far Vivox is evil.
And i also read something somewhere about the possibility of running Vivox daemon under wine.

So far this is the only possible work around that i found.
However i am not sure if it we can have SL running natively and the Vivox deamon with wine.
As another option; one could be running win32 SL software fully under wine, or on vmware.

While i have not tested it with wine, i have tried it on vnware workstation but it fails to start due to video card drivers support. Again... SL software is picky with many video cards and it doesnt like vmware's video card emulation.
I tried it with windows 2003 and XP with the latest directx (also activated on vmware)

If in fact this voice problem is mostly due to poor or no support for 64 bit OS is there anything else we can do other than having a 32bit Choot gentoo install ?

Last edited by HeXiLeD on Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if my above assumption (that you are running a 64bit Gentoo OS) is correct, you probably only have 64bit compatible GStreamer libraries installed; the 32bit SL client requires 32bit libraries.

Yes i am. do you know how to create 32bit binary libraries and if i can have both running ( 64 & 32 ) with no issues ?

Quote:
During startup (or after activating the voice option in the preference window) the Second Life client starts and sends a request to the daemon to create a "connector" object (basically an attempt to initiate the voice component), the client then waits for the daemon to respond. The daemon successfully receives this request but (and as we well know) something goes awry and an std::out_of_range exception is thrown and the response is never sent.

I agree 100% with you

Lubomir
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone update the secondlife ebuild in layman? At the moment its 1.18.4.3. The actual version is 1.19.0.5

Jimeh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it working (verified in world that people can hear me), I'll post more details shortly. Sorry to be such a tease but I've got some guests round right now.
Jimeh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here it is, first a little background.

As I mentioned previously... I had discovered that the Vivox daemon was throwing an out_of_range exception when attempting to parse the contents of /proc/cpuinfo into name / value pairs.

I had come to this conclusion after observing system calls to open and read the aforementioned file, as well as a backtrace which indicated the call to substr (the origin of the exception) originated in the function SplitNameValueFile which in turn was called by MachineInfo::MachineInfo() within the libvivoxsdk.so library. It dawned on me that the problem must surely lie with the format of /proc/cpuinfo; or more correctly, libvivoxsdk.so's poor handling of it.

I decided that the easiest way to test this hypothesis was to remove lines that I suspected would be the cause of the problem. To do this I opened libvivoxsdk.so in vim -b (binary mode), searched for the string representing the path to cpuinfo and replaced it to point to a copy of /proc/cpuinfo I could easily modify.

The problem turned out to lie with the first occurrence of: 'power management:'. It would appear that SplitNameValueFile expects at least a single character between the colon and the subsequent newline. When I modified my custom /proc/cpuinfo file to discard or modify the line to include a space after the colon the daemon ran flawlessly and I had full access to voice in the 1.19.0 and 1.19.1 clients.

I have provided a small bash script that when executed within the lib directory of the Second Life client directory hierarchy will do the following:

1. Write a copy of your /proc/cpuinfo file to the current directory with a space appended to each colon that appears at the end of the line.
  2. Backup your current libvivoxsdk.so file to libvivoxsdk.so.bak.
  3. Modify libvivoxsdk.so to point to the newly created copy of cpuinfo (from the perspective of the SLVoice binary, i.e. lib/cpuinfo)

Code:
#! /bin/sh
sed 's/:$/: /g' /proc/cpuinfo > cpuinfo
cp libvivoxsdk.so libvivoxsdk.so.bak
sed 's/\/proc\/cpuinfo/lib\/cpuinfo\c@\c@/g' libvivoxsdk.so.bak > libvivoxsdk.so

Copy and paste the above into a file located within SecondLife_i686_1_19*/lib (i.e. the same directory as libvivoxsdk.so) and make it executable: 'chmod +x filename'. Execute it './filename' and then start the Second Life client as you normally would. Ensure you're on a parcel that allows voice communication, after a few seconds of the client contacting the daemon you should have full access to voice.

If you could let me know how this works for you along with any additional feedback I would greatly appreciate it. I intend to bring this issue to the attention of the Lindens so that they can contact the Vivox people and have this sorted out. There must be numerous Linux users who are affected by this, I'm surprised this hadn't come to light sooner.
Jimeh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've submitted a bug report on the Second Life issue tracker (JIRA). If you find that you are indeed affected by the issue I described and that my temporary workaround resolves this issue for you, could you vote for the issue here: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-5708 (you'll need to login with your full Second Life name and password). If you could also leave a short comment when you vote informing them that you were able to reproduce the error and that the temporary fix worked for you, that would be great.

edit: A representative from Vivox has already responded and has forwarded the details to the developers!
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimeh: thanks a bunch ! It works for me too.
i will vote for the issue on SL.

Lubomir
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lubomir wrote:
Could someone update the secondlife ebuild in layman? At the moment its 1.18.4.3. The actual version is 1.19.0.5

1.19.0.5-bin is in the second-life in layman now inside. :D I am emerging that at the moment :wink:
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok... so .. while i have voice sound now; things are not 100% yet.

I can hear others but i cant use the microphone.
And while i can hear others for a bit; it will also crash the sound after a few seconds.
The time that it takes until the sound is gone, also depends on the card capture that i am using or if i play with the volume settings.

So far if i choose to use OSS it sems to be the one that is more stable.
I am with SecondLife_i686_1_19_1_1_RELEASECANDIDATE.

How about you guys ?

HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently testing: SecondLife_i686_1_19_1_2_RELEASECANDIDATE

This RC seems more stable since i get less log errors but i still have the voice crashing after some time.

Is the ebuild source or is it the binary package?

HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currently with games-simulation/secondlife-bin-1.22_rc7 instaled from portage and the issue still remains.
manual install also doesnt seem to solve the problem.

TechwoIf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try my secondlife overlay at http://gentoo.techwolf.net/

I've been building from source for a while and adding openal and spacenav support. Had a few folks say to put them up and so I did.

Please reply if it works for you.

Best way to get voice support is to use a second sound card, or enable the motherboard sound if allready using a card, or use a bluetooth headset and point the voice to the second device.

Last edited by TechwoIf on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is now fixed with games-simulation/secondlife-bin-1.22_rc8 on EMT64

note: add games-simulation/secondlife-bin ~x86 to /etc/portage/package.keywords if you use 64bit

as for soundcards ....

Quote:
0 [Audigy ]: Audigy - Audigy 1 [SB0090]
Audigy 1 [SB0090] (rev.3, serial:0x511102) at 0xa400, irq 22
1 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xcbcf4000 irq 16
2 [U0x46d0x990 ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x990
USB Device 0x46d:0x990 at usb-0000:00:1d.7-3, high speed
3 [U0xd8c0x0c ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0xd8c:0x0c
USB Device 0xd8c:0x0c at usb-0000:00:1d.3-1, full speed

This topic is SOLVED

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: