MS gone for good
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
second_exodous
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: MS gone for good Reply with quote

I finally dumped windows, and keeping it off after I've installed a few games that work for linux through portage. It took me a few weeks to get my box running but now that it has all the right nVidia drivers I don't see any reason to go back.

I still haven't destroyed all my MS cd's yet, I'm hanging on to them for a year. After I have linux for a year and no need to install MS then I'm going to take all my built up MS frustration out on them(sadly, this was taken out on my computers over the years.)

Portage is so easy. Installing was the only thing holding me back. I could only get one or two games running, and openoffice was never this easy to install even on windows. Heck, games were never this easy to install on windows.

Two things that made the move a lot easier, if not the only things making it possible, is these forums and the excellent docs on gentoo's webpage. I'd like to thank the people who wrote the docs and the people giving me help on these forums, and of course the people who write linux and the linux community in general.

Thanx,
Stan

P.S. If this forum is still active a year from now I'll post a update at the bottom, so if it's past Aug. 4, 2004 look for my second post in this forum.
scootersmk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree! The forums and the other resources on the website are what takes gentoo above and beyond the rest.
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bit kudos to that :)

the forum and the very good documentation is what made me move to gentoo for my distro of choice on my servers. we also have projects comming up at work that might require linux, and you can be sure if I'm part of the decision making process, gentoo'll probably get a vote :)
TenPin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is pretty easy on Gentoo until things start going wrong.

Thats when it gets fun.

Linux is basically one immensely huge computer game. You just keep looking for more and more crazy/hard things to do with it and spend ages making it do them.

I have to say that these forums are THE BEST linux forums on the net.

Are there any others which are even remotely as useful ?
HeruNoleth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is something that has always wondered me. Gentoo has the rep as one of the toughest distro to get going, so if you're total n00b to linux people recomend sopmething like mandrake or red hat. But infact Gentoo is easier to both install and maintain than both thanks to portage, and the huge amount of work being put into the ebuilds and the docs. I have tried both Mandrake and RH, but found Gentoo both better and easier!
Sings to its own harm.
Anime_Fan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeruNoleth wrote:
That is something that has always wondered me. Gentoo has the rep as one of the toughest distro to get going, so if you're total n00b to linux people recomend sopmething like mandrake or red hat.

And me taking their advice... The Mandrake I tried was so fsck'ed that any settings I changed in the controls centers didn't work (couldn't save any new settings). Also, it was a no-brainer because one does not learn anything of Linux when installing it.

If the person is a total n00b to computers, you might get them to try something like Knoppix or Mandrake, but if he's used DOS/Windows since pre-DOS-shell days, you should really recommend Gentoo.

For me, Mandrake == Tough piece of #&%!. Gentoo == Easy (Note the 3 ='s).
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to think 6months i wasted on redhat thinking it was easy and gentoo was rock hard to setup and use. if gentoo had a nice text installer, like on freebsd then gentoo would have everything for me *i dont like the flashy gui installers, i like to know whats going on :)*
norvillebarnes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of those total noobs that put off trying linux because I couldn't decide on a distro that I thought I could handle. After a while I bit the bullet and gave debian a shot, but days later I still couldn't get X configured. There was zero documentation and shall we say a less than helpful community. I looked around the gentoo site and forums and have been a satisfied user ever since. With all the help the install actually went more quickly than a binary distro...because it worked! 8)
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people think MS is the shit because people can call 1-800-whatever and get support.
They don't realize how much support linux gives users. If you have a problem, post it in one of the thousand linux forums and you'll get a solution
Peaceable Frood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on dumping Windows when there are more commercial games out for Linux.
TenPin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peaceable Frood wrote:
I plan on dumping Windows when there are more commercial games out for Linux.

Well you're in luck then, a game publisher called Eternity is releasing a fantastic game for linux and windows called:

Quote:
Hell Freezes Over
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that was a good game :wink:

Yeah, Frood, you are going to wait a long time before you get that wish.
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: my recomendation depends... Reply with quote

if somebody just wants to slap linux on a machine to see what it looks like, I give them a gentoo livecd or tell them to get knoppix. if they actually want to install linux, but just want to play with it, I tell them to try suse.

but if they are a geek, I tell them that installing gentoo will give them an education in linux, that they will be forced to learn a lot right away.

so my recomendation depends on how deep their commitment to linux seems to be
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oubipaws wrote:
people think MS is the shit because people can call 1-800-whatever and get support.
They don't realize how much support linux gives users. If you have a problem, post it in one of the thousand linux forums and you'll get a solution

Not only that, but what kind of support do they get by calling 1-800-support??? Not exactly the best, to put it mildly! :)

Erik
jatf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep Winslows for one reason and one reason only:

:twisted: Dark age of Camelot :twisted:

Once I burn out on that, I'll never look back.

Adopt an unanswered post HERE
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: