View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silabus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Question about Gentoo Reply with quote

I've recently made the decision to switch to Linux, and I"m trying to figure out what distribution to use. I've only ever used Linux at work the past month or so and I"m liking it a lot. I have used both Ubuntu and Fedora, they seem to handle fairly similar. I was curious about Gentoo because I've read about its customization. But I've also been reading you need to know a bit about Linux to use it. I don't know that much about Linux, but I've been in a Unix environment for the past 4 years at school. To let you know I am in school for a Computer Science/Software Development degree and that's one of the reasons for the switch. I don't want to overwhelm myself with something I"m not ready for. With my given background, would Gentoo be a good decision? Is installation as easy as Ubuntu and Fedora? Thank you in advance!

-S

EDIT: Forgot to mention I will be using this for gaming a little bit, nothing extreme. I play WoW and steam games, though from what I read I can just use Wine to help with that. I also seem to have put this in the Documentation forum when I wanted to put it in the Gentoo Chat forum.

Last edited by Silabus on Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are willing to learn by reading docs, then go for it. Gentoo was my first linux distro and generally my first system not made by M$ ;]
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will learn a lot with Gentoo, and you will learn a lot how Linux works.
kite14
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal reasons for choosing Gentoo:
    1. Extremely customizable, fast, stable;
    2. Great documentation;
    3. This forum :wink:
    4. Good learning experience.

Some drawbacks:
    1. Installing and configuring your box might be time consuming, especially in non-recent hardware;
    2. You need to know very well your hardware.

Silabus wrote:
With my given background, would Gentoo be a good decision?

Yes, go for it!
Silabus wrote:
Is installation as easy as Ubuntu and Fedora?

Using the liveDVD the installation is as easy as any other distro (Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE), but many users consider the liveDVD installation buggy.
My advice is to use the "minimal" CD (or the System Rescue CD) and follow the Gentoo handbook
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silabus wrote:
I also seem to have put this in the Documentation forum when I wanted to put it in the Gentoo Chat forum.
Your intended location was correct and the mistake is easily fixed.
Moved from Documentation, Tips & Tricks to Gentoo Chat.
RedSquirrel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silabus,

Given your background, I would recommend giving Gentoo a try. As mentioned above, just be sure to read the docs carefully. The installation is not as easy as some other distributions, but you will learn something about Gentoo while you're installing it. :)

When you get to the step in the Gentoo Handbook that deals with installing a stage tarball, you might want to try one of the weekly stage tarballs which are located under the /experimental directory on the mirrors. They are more up to date. There are weekly Minimal CD images under that directory as well. See the following news item:

First sets of weekly stage3s and minimal CDs released
Silabus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm going to install Gentoo, then. Not immediately, though, I've got some reading up to do :D
kineticbeing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest to try to use the http://www.funtoo.org stage3 tarballs, the stable version on the right side of the page.

They contain the stable system, basically the same as the weekly ones that are just coming out, but they're less buggy (because they're less new) and they are ususally more recent than the weekly ones (they're build every couple days, as opposed to every week) and they're optimized for your specific processer (such as Pentuim 4, which is what I use) out of the box, rather than just for x86. That saves you the time of doing emerge -e to get the base system optimized to your processor.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, use the SystemRescueCD to install your Gentoo box.

Good luck !
Tadeas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However I'd suggest you to install Gentoo on a spare partition first and keep some other system working too, at least for some time.

BTW I installed Gentoo from my Debian system I have here using chroot and I found it much more comfortable than installing it right from a CD. I has one great advantage: you can keep the Gentoo handbook open in one window in X and do all the work via terminal. However it requires some little knowledge about the installation process...
RedSquirrel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tadeas wrote:
BTW I installed Gentoo from my Debian system I have here using chroot and I found it much more comfortable than installing it right from a CD. I has one great advantage: you can keep the Gentoo handbook open in one window in X and do all the work via terminal.

You can do that with the sysresccd as well (it has X and Firefox). In fact, the sysresccd runs well enough that you can almost forget you are using a LiveCD. :)

With the Minimal CD, you can switch to another virtual console and view the latest version of the handbook from the web using links.
Silabus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tadeas wrote:
However I'd suggest you to install Gentoo on a spare partition first and keep some other system working too, at least for some time.

BTW I installed Gentoo from my Debian system I have here using chroot and I found it much more comfortable than installing it right from a CD. I has one great advantage: you can keep the Gentoo handbook open in one window in X and do all the work via terminal. However it requires some little knowledge about the installation process...

This was actually going to be installed on a fresh, brand new hard drive.
duckz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try browsing Gentoo wiki first then if your do have the patience to read it, Go for it, otherwise stay with ubuntu/fedora.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you're having trouble building a working kernel, there's Pappy's Kernel Seeds that might help you.
Now it's time for the harvest
Silabus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I"ve been reading the wiki. I'm about halfway through it and it doesn't seem that bad at all. Could be fun. Just a few questions that I'm not exactly sure of at this point.

I have an Asus M2N-SLI nForce 560 Socket AM2 mobo and an NVIDIA GeForce 8600 and all my experience of installing hardware is with Windows. Do I have to install those drivers for Gentoo? Can I just use the installation CD that came with the hardware or are they Windows specific?

Also I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ AM2 CPU and I downloaded the amd64 minimal install ISO but I don't want a 64 bit OS. Do I have to set an option at setup or will it outright ask me? So far I've only gotten to http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=5 in reading the wiki so if I'm being premature in asking, I apologize, I'm just trying to make sure I don't screw anything up.

I was also reading about installing a specific game for wine, and I need the truetype fonts found in msttcorefonts. Is that possible to get with Gentoo?
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most drivers are in the kernel and graphics drivers are in portage. The windows drivers are no use here.

Why don't you want a 64 bit OS? If you really have a reason not to go 64bit then I'm not sure if the amd64 minimal will be ok. You might prefer using the system rescue cd instead. It's Gentoo based so you can use it just like the minimal, but it has X with gparted and firefox.

EDIT: When you install wine, download winetricks and install the fonts from there - I think ;]
Silabus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly for Wine and the few games that I'd wish to play on wine. Been reading that wine is incompatible with 64 bit Linux distributions.
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, unless you choose the no-multilib profile, 32 bit applications work just fine on 64bit Gentoo ;] Even the damned 32bit proprietary flash player from adobe worked fine until they finally released the 64bit version. Sometimes I run stuff on wine and I don't have any bonus problems because of being 64 bit - just the standard ones :D
Silabus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, thank you for your help. This is turning out to be a better and better idea as I learn about Gentoo. Too bad I can't actually install it for another month when I get back from my trip. Just trying to learn as much as possible so I'm as prepared as possible for when the time comes.
Silabus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So on http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=6 under Choosing the Right Profile, do I want the pure 64 bit environment with no 32 bit applications or libraries?
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the AMD64 profile, because if you go no-multilib you can have a lot of fun actually.
Silabus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
Use the AMD64 profile, because if you go no-multilib you can have a lot of fun actually.

So you're saying do or do not go with the no-multilib? Sorry, the sentence seemed like it contradicted itself.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the AMD64 default profile....
Silabus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks. Sorry for asking so specifcally :oops: I REALLY don't want to mess up the install.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, it's the best way to don't mess up your first installation :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: