Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I just cannot set my locales correctly... can anyone help?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-SPM-Mad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: I just cannot set my locales correctly... can anyone help? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I tried appart from the official guide several other ones but I always end up with problems. The problems are either special caracters not displayed during bootup correctly, then (quite often) the manpages not able to display things like ' and recently after updating to KDE4.2 my whole KDE translation is broken.

I want my system locale to be UTF-8 english. So that during bootup I can see everything without problems, and in english. My root account should be english too... foreign-language error messages are annoying for getting support. But my users, in this case only me because I an the only one using the system, should have everything in german.

'locale -a' shows me 3-4 different locales which I eventually had once in my locale.gen file, but right now I only have:
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
de_DE@euro.UTF-8 UTF-8
in there. Can I delete old locales somehow? 'locale-gen' generates these two correctly but does not remove the other ones.

Several guides say that setting the LC_ALL varaible is not a good idea. So currently my env.d/02locale says:
LANG="en_EN.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="C"

and in my .bashrc of my user I added to the end:
LANG="de_DE@euro.UTF-8"

My new KDE4.2 installation says under localization that it could not detect the default system location and did set it to generic english, and the default language is english too. I installed l10n for KDE4 and can set it to german/germany there which, after relogging, translates about 40% of the messages and strings. But he startmenu for example, or buttons in most dialogs are still english.
And when looking at manpages either as root or my user, for example the ' symbol is displayed as <E2><80><99>

Can anyone hlep me to get this right? The KDE4 translation might be caused by something else. Getting the console encoding right to display manpages correctly and other symbols on the console would be a good start for me.
-SPM-Mad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kind user 'thomasg' in IRC pointed out that the german UTF-8 locale has no @euro variant, and thus most things failed.
Once I removed @euro from my locale.gen and configured the rest correctly suddenly my KDE4.2 shows up - as far as I can see it - completly german.

I also added -c to most NROFF lines in my man.cfg which oddly solved the '-symbol problem for my user in xterm, but not for my root user.

But I might be able to fix this myself.

Greetings
-SPM-Mad
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: