kopete compilation problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: kopete compilation problems Reply with quote

Hello all,

First off, I love Gentoo so far. I've got most everything installed on a Fujitsu Lifebook (800MHz Crusoe) and am using Gentoo 1.1a. But, I've got many packages that won't build, and I'm wondering if it is just me. Specifically, I'm wondering if maybe I've broken something...

Off the top of my head, I can't build all of the following:

everybuddy
kopete
ogle
xmms
freeamp
abiword
alsa-driver
libfreetype

And others.. most of them error out during compile because of multiply defined variables. Similar to this:

Code:
gcc -march=i686 -pipe -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -malign-functions=0 -malign-jumps=0 -malign-loops=0 -Wall -pedantic -I./../../lib -I. -DHAVE_LIBM=1 -o .libs/ttf2pk errormsg.o filesrch.o ligkern.o newobj.o parse.o pklib.o subfont.o texenc.o ttf2pk.o ttfenc.o ttflib.o ../../lib/.libs/libttf.so -lm -lm
ttflib.o(.bss+0xc8): multiple definition of `dpi'
pklib.o(.bss+0x0): first defined here
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [ttf2pk] Error 1

One thing to note. I had this problem with both binutils and gcc, but I simply patched the code. No worries -- I code for a living. I can do the same for the other packages, but it just doesn't seem right that so many packages are plagued with the same problem. It seems more likely to me that something elsewhere is mucked up and causing the compiler to barf when it shouldn't.

And FYI, here are my make.conf flags:

Code:
USE="oss dvd -gnome -kde -pam"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -pipe -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -malign-functions=0 -malign-jumps=0 -malign-loops=0"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -pipe -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -malign-functions=0 -malign-jumps=0 -malign-loops=0"

TIA,
jonathan

[EDIT: rac]changed title because kanuslupus is funneling kopete problems here, and the original title ("Many broken packages? Is it just me?") was not very descriptive[/EDIT]
mikix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: Can't confirm Reply with quote

I'm not seeing this with the following in /etc/make.conf

USE="-kde -gnome mozilla alsa"
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe"

I have successfully compiled binutils, gcc, xmms, abiword, alsa-driver, and freetype and have never seen the error you are seeing.

Sorry I can't be more help than that. Is it possible your extra flags are causing a problem?
justus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:16 am    Post subject: Quick thought here... Reply with quote

Which gcc are you using to compile these?

I know that I had a problem like that a while ago when I switched to gcc3.0.4... The ABI is different, so the libs and programs have to be compiled (generally) with the same compiler.

Not sure if that is your problem... but who knows... :)

Justin T
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has nothing to do with your programs not compiling but why would you want to use "-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -malign-functions=0 -malign-jumps=0 -malign-loops=0"?

If I understand this correctly those will _all_ make your programs run slower then the defaults...
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-2.95.3/gcc_2.html#SEC2

I'd drop "-fno-common" unless you have a specific reason for using it, according to the gcc docs is can cause compile errors.
PaperCrane
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't compile kopete, the rest either work for me or I haven't tried them, I'm using:

CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe"
justus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:01 pm    Post subject: Same problem with Kopete here... Reply with quote

I believe this has something to do with the latest qt. I'm not sure though, but I know it was working a while ago. I have also emailed the Kopete list to see if they have any suggestions on this.

I will let everyone know if I find anything out.

Justin T
jingai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin wrote:
This has nothing to do with your programs not compiling but why would you want to use "-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -malign-functions=0 -malign-jumps=0 -malign-loops=0"?

If I understand this correctly those will _all_ make your programs run slower then the defaults...
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-2.95.3/gcc_2.html#SEC2

Grr... you are correct. I used the args from the kernel compile as a starting point. I suppose I should have checked to see what they all do... :/

Quote:
I'd drop "-fno-common" unless you have a specific reason for using it, according to the gcc docs is can cause compile errors.

Dropped, but that explains a lot. GCC apparantly ignores some errors by default, such as multiply defining globals with the same name in two or more files, or global asigns of the same variable, etc.

Technically I suppose I should submit patches, no?

Anyway, thanks guys. Now I just need to rebuild everything :cry: 8O
justus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Kopete Compiles now!! Reply with quote

Actually this can pertain to more than just kopete... it appears that the qt setup doesn't include the kde plugins for qt.

What you will need to do is run:
Code:
/usr/qt/3/bin/qtconfig

and add the following path to the paths section:
Code:
/usr/kde/3/lib/kde3/plugins

After that kopete will compile.

Justin T.
jingai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Kopete Compiles now!! Reply with quote

justus wrote:

Code:

Wonderful. Thanks much!
jingai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin wrote:

FWIW, since I have a Transmeta Crusoe, all but -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 will actually not generate slower code. Because of the Crusoe's code morphing software, it doesn't care about code alignment at all. In fact, this *may* even be faster, since it reduces the chance of it fetching a NOP. Also, it will generate slightly smaller code.

So, for the Crusoe, I believe this should be a good list of args:

"-march=i686 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -malign-functions=0 -malign-jumps=0 -malign-loops=0"

-j
jingai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Kopete Compiles now!! Reply with quote

justus wrote:
What you will need to do is run:
Code:
/usr/qt/3/bin/qtconfig

Code:

Hmm, I just tried this, and it still won't build. Here is the error:

Code:
c++ -I. -I. -I../../../.. -I. -I. -I../../../.. -I/usr/kde/3/include -I/usr/qt/3/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I../../../../kopete/library -I../../../../kopete/library/ui -I../../../../kopete/protocols/icq -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -D_REENTRANT -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -march=i686 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -malign-functions=0 -malign-jumps=0 -malign-loops=0 -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -c prfconnecttabwidget.cpp -Wp,-MD,.deps/prfconnecttabwidget.TPlo  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/prfconnecttabwidget.o
prfconnecttabwidget.cpp: In method `connectTabWidget::connectTabWidget(QWidget * = 0, const char * = 0, unsigned int = 0)':
prfconnecttabwidget.cpp:58: invalid use of undefined type `class KIntSpinBox'
prfconnecttabwidget.h:17: forward declaration of `class KIntSpinBox'
prfconnecttabwidget.cpp:59: incomplete type `KIntSpinBox' does not have member `UpDownArrows'
prfconnecttabwidget.cpp:60: invalid use of undefined type `class KIntSpinBox'
prfconnecttabwidget.cpp:61: invalid use of undefined type `class KIntSpinBox'
prfconnecttabwidget.cpp:62: invalid use of undefined type `class KIntSpinBox'
prfconnecttabwidget.cpp:64: no matching function for call to `QGridLayout::addWidget (KIntSpinBox *&, int, int)'
/usr/qt/3/include/qlayout.h:323: candidates are: void QGridLayout::addWidget(QWidget *, int, int, int = 0)
prfconnecttabwidget.cpp:122: invalid use of undefined type `class KIntSpinBox'
prfconnecttabwidget.cpp:123: incomplete type `KIntSpinBox' does not have member `UpDownArrows'
prfconnecttabwidget.cpp:124: invalid use of undefined type `class KIntSpinBox'
prfconnecttabwidget.cpp:125: invalid use of undefined type `class KIntSpinBox'
prfconnecttabwidget.cpp:126: invalid use of undefined type `class KIntSpinBox'
prfconnecttabwidget.cpp:128: no matching function for call to `QGridLayout::addWidget (KIntSpinBox *&, int, int)'
/usr/qt/3/include/qlayout.h:323: candidates are: void QGridLayout::addWidget(QWidget *, int, int, int = 0)
prfconnecttabwidget.cpp:187: no matching function for call to `QLabel::setBuddy (KIntSpinBox *&)'
/usr/qt/3/include/qlabel.h:94: candidates are: void QLabel::setBuddy(QWidget *)
prfconnecttabwidget.cpp:193: no matching function for call to `QLabel::setBuddy (KIntSpinBox *&)'
/usr/qt/3/include/qlabel.h:94: candidates are: void QLabel::setBuddy(QWidget *)
make[5]: *** [prfconnecttabwidget.lo] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kopete-0.3/work/kopete-0.3/kopete/protocols/icq/ui'
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kopete-0.3/work/kopete-0.3/kopete/protocols/icq'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kopete-0.3/work/kopete-0.3/kopete/protocols'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kopete-0.3/work/kopete-0.3/kopete'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kopete-0.3/work/kopete-0.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line -3520, Exitcode 2
!!! died running emake, kde_src_compile:make

!!! emerge aborting on  /usr/portage/net-im/kopete/kopete-0.3.ebuild .

Any ideas...? It's probably worth nothing that I've only got kdelibs installed and nothing else pertaining to KDE. I don't really want either gnome or kde on my system... however, it looks like a dependancy isn't satisfied, but emerge isn't picking it up.....?

-j
jingai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump...
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
FWIW, since I have a Transmeta Crusoe, all but -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 will actually not generate slower code. Because of the Crusoe's code morphing software, it doesn't care about code alignment at all. In fact, this *may* even be faster, since it reduces the chance of it fetching a NOP. Also, it will generate slightly smaller code.

Yep you're right, I guess I glazed over the crusoe part.
justus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 6:46 am    Post subject: Ok... Kopete... and how... Reply with quote

Here is what I did before I ran the qtconfig program... I had forgotten all about this, but just did a nice reinstall and everything and had to remember. There needs to be a link created from kdelibs to the qt directory or qt can't find the kde-plugins...

I did the following:

Code:
ln -s /usr/kde/3/lib/kde3/plugins/designer/kdewidgets.la /usr/qt/3/plugins/designer
ln -s /usr/kde/3/lib/kde3/plugins/designer/kdewidgets.so /usr/qt/3/plugins/designer

Now it all works.

I guess this may need to be added to kdelibs emerge, as you must have qt installed to use kde, and the kdeplugins are a vital part of kde... (any program with embedded kde parts in qt will require this to compile correctly or function correctly.)

Justin T
MrIch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kopete does not compile on my system too!

I get this error:
Code:

addwizardui.h:17: forward declaration of `struct KListView'
addwizardui.cpp:4721: invalid use of undefined type `struct KListView'
addwizardui.h:17: forward declaration of `struct KListView'
addwizardui.cpp:4722: no matching function for call to `QVBoxLayout::addWidget(
   KListView*&)'
/usr/qt/3/include/qlayout.h:378: candidates are: void
   QBoxLayout::addWidget(QWidget*, int = 0, int = 0)
make[4]: *** [addwizardui.lo] Error 1
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kopete-0.5/work/kopete-0.5-1/kopete/libkopete/ui'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kopete-0.5/work/kopete-0.5-1/kopete/libkopete'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kopete-0.5/work/kopete-0.5-1/kopete'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kopete-0.5/work/kopete-0.5-1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

When I add the path wirh the qt editor it saves the settings not, when I start qt next time, the pathes list is completely empty..

Code:

bash-2.05a# grep -v "#"  make.conf
USE="X dvd xv oss truetype kde cdr avi qt -alsa"
CFLAGS="-mcpu=athlon-tbird -O3 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: