View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qt-gui, but you can also manually switch to native, as i mentioned earlier in this thread.
nightelf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_alec wrote:
Disabling anti-aliasing made fonts readable again.

Sorry, not for KDM application , I modify .kdmrc file and i have always corrupted fonts ...

I try different theme also , and I have always the problem.
Oxidative
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the antialiasing problem too. Disabling it is the only way to get things working again. It looks pretty ugly now though.
sdr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_alec wrote:

here is a good example of how to do it in-the-file

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-547868.html

it is all about ~/.fonts.conf
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightelf wrote:
mark_alec wrote:

Sorry, not for KDM application , I modify .kdmrc file and i have always corrupted fonts ...

I try different theme also , and I have always the problem.
I think I read somewhere.. if you have subpixel hinting vrgb or vbgr, then that font problem occurs. So, try changing the subpixel hinting.

I had tried it (vbgr -> bgr, iirc) and it worked. But I have already downgraded back to qt-4.4.2 so I can not test it right now.
TemplarKnight
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
qt-gui, but you can also manually switch to native, as i mentioned earlier in this thread.

I tried recompiling qt-gui without the raster flag. Still kde icons are not visible :cry: . Any other thoughs?
Phob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TemplarKnight wrote:
I tried recompiling qt-gui without the raster flag. Still kde icons are not visible :cry: . Any other thoughs?

I had the same problem at one point. I updated to the most recent xorg-server in ~x86 (1.5.3-r2) and I got my systray icon back. For me it was part of the solution. That also make the raster from qt-gui work.

You can read that thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-722498.html before updating you xorg-server.
TemplarKnight
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded to the ~ xorg and problem is fixed. Also, no modifications were needed for my xorg.conf as suggested on the thread Phob linked :)
Ty all. :)
i4dnf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: konqueror+bespin+qt 4.5 Reply with quote

Just some info. If you like bespin and got the konq crash when opening a new tab with qt 4.5, disable the transition efect for the tabs. At least here it seems pretty stable now. (cross my fingers and hope the next tab i open won't crash it :D )
sirro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TemplarKnight wrote:
I just upgraded to the ~ xorg and problem is fixed. Also, no modifications were needed for my xorg.conf as suggested on the thread Phob linked :)

Sounds great. I have the same problem and now i've finally got a reason to upgrade to an ~ xorg. :-)
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say that I haven't had any problems since upgrading to Qt 4.5.0-rc1 but I just noticed that kded4 is taking almost 100% CPU now, and that's never happened before. :(
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamus397 wrote:
(...)I just noticed that kded4 is taking almost 100% CPU now, and that's never happened before. :(
Maybe Nepomuk & Strigi are responsible for that. Once Strigi finished indexing all files in my home folder, there isn't any cpu usage out of the ordinary any more on my machine.
(or just disable nepomuk and strigi...)

Ah.. right...
"System Settings" --> "Desktop Search" is where their settings are located.
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Shamus397 wrote:
(...)I just noticed that kded4 is taking almost 100% CPU now, and that's never happened before. :(
Maybe Nepomuk & Strigi are responsible for that. Once Strigi finished indexing all files in my home folder, there isn't any cpu usage out of the ordinary any more on my machine.
(or just disable nepomuk and strigi...)

Ah.. right...
"System Settings" --> "Desktop Search" is where their settings are located.

The kded4 problem for me was solved by rebuilding kdelibs after upgrading to qt-4.5 and then restarting KDE. And I keep desktop search disabled - it seems to eat away too much of my system's resources.
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rebuilt everything that was dependent on qt-gui, which pretty much rebuilt everything including kdelibs. And I've had -semantic-desktop in my USE flags for some time now. There isn't even an entry in System Settings for 'Desktop Search' anymore on my system (I would assume -semantic-desktop == no nepomuk == no Desktop Search, either that or Akonadi has replaced it and that's off too). I've also rebooted the system since the rebuild and it still happened. :?

A quick but inelegant way to fix this is to kill -9 kded4 and then restarting it.
regomodo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me everything but dolphin's file preview and some plasma features work fine. Possibly even better. Flash in webkit (arora) is nice new addition.
Oxidative
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my antialiasing working again by running this after kde4.2 has started:

kwin --replace
killall -9 plasma
plasma

It's kind of odd though that fonts are only working the second time kwin and plasma are started...
cogent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I upgraded to qt 4.5 and kde 4.2.1 Unfortunately now lancelot uses 100% cpu and has to be killed manually. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem or knows what I need to recompile in order to have a decent program launcher back in my life.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cogent wrote:
Today I upgraded to qt 4.5 and kde 4.2.1 Unfortunately now lancelot uses 100% cpu and has to be killed manually. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem or knows what I need to recompile in order to have a decent program launcher back in my life.

Lancelot here is running about 20% - 80% cpu usage, and what's more it's actually stopped working in that I cannot browse the folders in the Applications menu. So it's essentially useless. Everything was rebuilt with the qt/kde upgrade last night. I wonder if this bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=258758 needs to be re-opened. I don't know if the fix there is still valid though.
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agent_jdh wrote:
cogent wrote:

Lancelot here is running about 20% - 80% cpu usage, and what's more it's actually stopped working in that I cannot browse the folders in the Applications menu. So it's essentially useless. Everything was rebuilt with the qt/kde upgrade last night. I wonder if this bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=258758 needs to be re-opened. I don't know if the fix there is still valid though.

I think that the KDE devs forgot to add the patches for that bug to their package. Maybe the gentoo guys can do a 4.2.1-r1 with those patches. Someone can test whether that patch works with 4.2.1, I am too sleepy to do it now. :)
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've filed a bug for Lancelot

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=261461
TinheadNed
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.2.1 has fixed my problems with akregator resetting its columns to default widths all the time. However now selecting "log out" in KDE doesn't do anything apart from kopete signing out. If I quit kopete before selecting log out, nothing happens at all.

Anybody else come across this?
regomodo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TinheadNed wrote:
4.2.1 has fixed my problems with akregator resetting its columns to default widths all the time. However now selecting "log out" in KDE doesn't do anything apart from kopete signing out. If I quit kopete before selecting log out, nothing happens at all.

Anybody else come across this?

Oh man. The akregator issue had pissed me off something rotten.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave the raster USE flag for qt-gui another go - but getting corrupted icons and web page corruption in Konqueror, so it's not ready for prime-time yet.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having big trouble since upgrading to qt-4.5.0-stable.
I can't tell what really is the problem.
First i thought something about KUniqueApplication (or how the single-app class in kde4 is called). Closing konqueror, Konsole or systemsettings resulted in a non-usable window, but did not really quit the app. Moving other windows over the app did not result in repaints, so it seems to have finished the event-loop.

I tried some more things, and there were other strange behaviours. E.g. clicking "OK" when editing settings in kmail ended in a non-responding behaviour. Or in systemsettings, when trying to import a new colorscheme; selecting a file works, but after clicking "open", systemsettings does not respond anymore (I still have the shape of the File-Dialog in the systemsettings-window).

To make things even more funny, somtimes whole kwin hung up. I could not switch windows. I had to change to another terminal and kill kwin. Sometimes even this did not get my Desktop back, and I had do [Alt-Backspace] Kill X.

Also Qt-Apps (I only realised this within bespin config) sometimes hang up. bespin config e.g. sometimes does so when loading a preset and I want to save settings.

There is neither info when starting from console, nor in X-Logs.

I really don't know, where the solution can be found. I did a qt-4.5-upgrade + kde-4.2.1 on the same day (1 day after kde-4.2.1 hit portage). Please tell me, what information you need. I have a nearly unusable desktop atm.
HEEEELP! :(

Thanks
Franz
regomodo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agent_jdh wrote:
Gave the raster USE flag for qt-gui another go - but getting corrupted icons and web page corruption in Konqueror, so it's not ready for prime-time yet.

I've noticed the same issue however Konqueror seems to be a lot more responsive and usable. If only kde-nsplugins would work more often.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: