View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
f.kater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:08 pm    Post subject: Using truetype fonts: scaling files? Reply with quote

Hi, I'd like to come back on the (wonderful) article "XFree anti-aliased font tips" in Tips & Tricks.

kerframil wrote:

* Make sure font scaling files have been generated for the collections in those subdirectories. They should be, unless you have manually obtained fonts and put them in a given subdirectory.

I succeded to install Type1 fonts - but for the truetype fonts the "scaling files" are missing. Can they be generated somehow? I tried to do so manually with the example of existing scaling files but I failed. Only my new Type1 fonts are shown in OpenOffice. I am also not sure if my fonts (which are called "OpenType" but not "truetype" in Windows) are suitable for Xft...
Thank You!
Felix
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

# ttmkfdir -o fonts.scale
# mkfontdir

You may need to emerge these.
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice Reply with quote

Quote:
Because the truetypes still don't show up in openoffice I'll have to come on this subject later again, though...

I prefer to keep all of my fonts in one place. To get OpenOffice to see my Truetype fonts, I just deleted OpenOffice's fonts directory, and made it a symbolic link to my X truetype fonts directory. I.e, if OpenOffice is in /opt/OpenOffice-641d,

# rm /opt/OpenOffice-641d/share/fonts
# ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts /opt/OpenOffice-641d/share/fonts

You may like to move any fonts in your OpenOffice fonts directory to the X fonts directory first to avoid losing them. Also, make sure your X truetype fonts directory is called truetype and not TrueType or TTF, etc, otherwise OpenOffice may not see it. Alternatively, you could make OpenOffice-641d/share/fonts/truetype a symbolic link to your X truetype directory, whatever its name.
f.kater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, this did it!
Thanks again...
Felix
f.kater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

from all what is there to read about OpenOffice and font problems I not going to ask you how to solve all that questions and better wait for version 1.0.1 :wink:
but just this one thing which might not be related to OpenOffice only:
Since I have done this procedure (see above) OpenOffice changes its screen font from time to time (for menus, dialogs, buttons...). And further, opening a menu sometimes displays only half of its content at first.
That wasn't that way before I added fonts and symlinked openoffice's font path to the x font path... Any idea?

Thanks,
Felix
yannick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a program in OpenOffice called /opt/OpenOffice-1.0.0/spadmin that provides an easy way to make new fonts available to OpenOffice.
You just specify your dirs and it copies or makes links in /opt/OpenOffice-1.0.0/share/fonts to your existing fonts, and updates fonts.dir.
It works perfectly.
StrCrssd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Openoffice's font installer... Reply with quote

I had it crash hard on me last time I tried it. Grant, I was installing a LOT of fonts (mother is a teacher and requires a hella lot of fonts), but it hung. I gave it a few hours, hoping it would eventually parse through it, but it was not to be. I didn't know it would use standard truetype if you do the file hack...I'll have to try that tonight.

Give a man enough rope, he'll hang himself. Teach a man to make rope, he'll hang other people.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: