Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Trouble playing DVD's in Totem-GStreamer...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Trouble playing DVD's in Totem-GStreamer... Reply with quote

Here's the terminal output:

Code:
$ totem dvd://

** (totem:2162): WARNING **: Failed to create dbus proxy for org.gnome.SettingsDaemon: Could not get owner of name 'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon': no such name
** Message: totem_playlist_add_one_mrl (): Title 0 (null) (null)

** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|0.10|totem|DTS decoder|decoder-audio/x-private1-dts (DTS decoder)
** Message: Automatic missing codec installation not supported (helper script missing)

What does someone do when they run into this???

I just typed :

totem dvd://

into the terminal to try and START tracking down these playback problems. I can't get a decent mix of playback quality and audio 5.1 features from ANY of the Linux movie players and am contemplating a windows (ick) install just for movies, which I would desperately like to avoid.

Please help if you know how! :-)
dirk_salewski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi flacvest,

do you have gst-plugins-bad installed? The error message says "Missing plugin:" and "DTS decoder", and gst-plugins-bad has a dts USE flag.
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Huh... Reply with quote

I don't see the USE Flag for dts in the Advanced Emerge properties in Porthole, the GUI I use for Portage. Is there a Manual way to look at USE flags in the Terminal?? Could you please educate me a bit??
dirk_salewski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure.

Open a terminal and type
Code:
emerge -pv gst-plugins-bad

The output will be a list of programs your system needs to install gst-plugins-bad (probably just that single package, if the rest is already there). On the right-hand side there will be shown which USE flags that program really supports. I don't know whether porthole really shows everything - I don't even know porthole.

If you see "dts" among the USE flags and it's coloured GREEN, then it is already enabled, and all you have to do is
Code:
(flacvest)$ su -[Enter]
Password: <Password>[Enter]
(root)# emerge gst-plugins-bad

If, on the other hand, dts is prefixed with a minus sign and colored RED, than you have to enable it either globally (in your make.conf) or locally (in /etc/portage/package.use).

For make.conf just open the file /etc/make.conf with your preferred editor as root and type "dts" somewhere between USE="<here>". That would make dts availiable for all packages supporting it, not just gstreamer (gst). That could e.g. be mplayer. A quick "emerge -upv world --deep --newuse" would tell you which program would be in need of recompilation. Omit the "pv" in "-upv" to actually recompile that stuff.

For /etc/portage/package.keywords open this file and add a line "media-libs/gst-plugins-bad dts" to it. I usually put a line in beforehand reading "# DTS-Support for gstreamer for Video-DVD" or something, because I sometimes wonder why I enabled something years ago. The "#" starts a comment.

In case there's an error message about not being able to find a version of gst-plugins-bad that is stable, you can add the version you want to your /etc/portage/package.keywords like so:
as root:
echo "=media-plugins/gst-plugins-bad-<exactversionnumber> ~arch" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

"~arch" is depending on your arch, it might be ~x86, ~amd64 or something else.

If either of the files package.use or package.keywords don't exist just create them (as root). There's nothing that could go wrong what I'm aware of.

Tip: a very nice program to filter through packages on your command line is eix - install it with emerge eix as root and type eix gst-plugins-bad - you will see all available versions nicely formatted together with indications of stability and masking status (that ~-thing).

Tip2: The gentoo docs are among the most extensive and best in the world. Some docs are definitively readable by beginners, among these the gentoo handbook. I'd bookmark it.
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the excellent walk through Reply with quote

I really appreciate it, and everyone else will be able to get some use out of it too!

You are correct about Gentoo's Documentation being the best out there, it's what won me over after my first and second "candy" distros Ubuntu then Xubuntu (Now I like Gentoo with Xfce on ~amd64).

Best!

(BTW I have since been using Xfmedia due to it's simplicity, proper menu usage on DVDs and correct 7.1 channel detection with No Need to configure anything... The only thing about that is I can't seem to get the new Quicktime links to work. Oh well MPlayer is doing fine for those.)

Again, thanks for your assistance!
smithjd15
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try media-plugins/gst-plugins-xvideo.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porthole may not always show a USE flag. Lately I have seen it getting some wrong again. Most likely it is due to changes in portage and more probable, due to changes in eclasses. Porthole does not search out the eclasses for the flags it may introduce or force onto a package. I looked at it, but USE flags can be inside conditionals and gets even uglier than it already is. Personally I wish portage had an API to get the correct flag status directly from the portage that porthole imports and gets most of it's info from. Porthole does follow all the same steps that portage does to determine the flag status.

When you are using porthole and want to check the USE flags against emerge, then just use the settings menu option and select verbose and pretend, click emerge to verify the final status.

Also be aware that even "emerge -vp" does not always agree with what the end result USE flag status that is recorded in /var/db/pkg/*/*/IUSE.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: