Linux landline phone/voicemail system [TERMNATED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Linux landline phone/voicemail system [TERMNATED] Reply with quote

I have been thinking about using one of my boxes as a linux phone and voicemail.

It's a new field for me but i have browsed a bit and found a few things that might be useful.

The idea is to plug the box to a regular landline phone service and use it as a regular phone with a voicemail service.

As anyone done this ? and what are your thoughts about it or recommendations for the following. give as many options as possible.

a: modem that works well and flawlessly with linux and 100% supported for the task.
b: software for the phone functions
c: voicemail software ( i have checked mgetty)

CertFP: becbbd161d5a5c31de3c45171b77bf710911db29 / d985d21f89fe2977b593c4d381a1a86802e62990d9328d893db76d59f9935244

Last edited by HeXiLeD on Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total
My_World
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done it like ages ago, more than 8 years back when we had no DSL in South Africa.

I sure you know what you need hardware wise, do a search for LinModems.

I do not see the real world advantage of this for a home user nowadays, since most phone companies offer voicemail as standard or with a minimal charge, and a cordless phone makes for effortless phone conversations.

I cannot help you any further, it was just too long ago, but I will admit one cool feature of this is the ability to record phone conversations. Comes in handy when talking to the mob hitman!
:p
keyson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HeXiLeD,

I would not recommend a LinModem as it is a software based modem.

The modem I used was a fax/voice modem. The software was mgetty/vgetty.
I also had some software in kde that i could list the incomming voicemails
and set up the mailbox with. But I can not remember the name. (think it was kvoice)

But you have TkVoice also.

The modem was build on U.S.Robotics chips I think. But you can make a
search on the net for 'fax voice modem linux'.

And I found this link:
http://frank.harvard.edu/~coldwell/answering_machine/

Regards
Kjell
tutaepaki
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option, if you want to go all they way, and build a complete PABX so any PC at home could access the phone line...

Use asterisk for the software on your server, and a FXO card to connect to the telephone line. There are several soft phone clients you can use to connect to asterisk, x-lite is a good windows one, twinkle seems to work well for linux.
NightMonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tutaepaki wrote:
Another option, if you want to go all they way, and build a complete PABX so any PC at home could access the phone line...

Use asterisk for the software on your server, and a FXO card to connect to the telephone line. There are several soft phone clients you can use to connect to asterisk, x-lite is a good windows one, twinkle seems to work well for linux.

I second this. I've had asterisk running for several years now. I have a Cisco/Linksys SPA3102 as a FXO/FXS (for connection to my POTS line and a regular old touchtone phone), and a Polycom IP phone attached to a OpenWRT-powered AP (SIP over wireless... yes, I'm crazy, but it works well in my house).

Granted, I'm still on asterisk 1.2.X, but getting voicemails via e-mail was a dealmaker. Have fun! :)

EDIT: P.S. I forwarded my incoming cell calls (after a certain number of rings) to my landline, and viola, I have a unified messaging system.
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building a complete PABX so any PC at home could access the phone line seems a gret option.
So i read a bit about this and i have a few questions:

Using a V92 modem as an FXO card on Asterisk
http://voip.weblogsinc.com/2005/07/14/use-a-v92-modem-as-an-fxo-card-on-asterisk/

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=X100P+clone

What are your thoughts about this and limitations other than the problem with half duplex.
Is this modem fully suported by linux ?

FXO/FXS cards.

a: are they always both FXO/FXS in the same card or are they also available as just FXO card and FXS card
b: Is this type of card it can also be used as regular modem. yes?/no?
c: any ideia about prices

a: If i go with something like Cisco/Linksys SPA3102 ( http://www.voipuser.org/review_49.html ) or Sipura SPA-3000 ( http://www.voipuser.org/review_8.html ) will i need the pci card? ( yes?/no?)

b: If i go with this hardware; asterisk will be optional ? ( yes?/no? )

Prices:
Can anyone post some prices of FXO/FXS pci cards as well as voip routers ( if possible include models )

CertFP: becbbd161d5a5c31de3c45171b77bf710911db29 / d985d21f89fe2977b593c4d381a1a86802e62990d9328d893db76d59f9935244
redwood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

• The FXO and FXS modules are sold separately and also come bundled with the pci card. The modules snap into sockets on the telephone card. (I have 4-port "Wildcard TDM400P" cards with FXO and FXS modules). The modules are
    configured with zaptel and can also be tuned with fxotune. If you encounter echo problems, I'd recommend OSLEC.
    Since installing OSLEC I've had no echo problems on my asterisk server.

The FXO modules are used to connect your incoming POTS lines to your pbx server. The FXS modules
    are used to connect an ordinary analog telephone to your pbx server (hence these modules are not needed
    if you plan on using softphones or ipphones. You need one FXO module for each telephone line (number).
    Digium sells a TDM01B pci card with one FXO module for ~$150:
    http://www.digiumcards.com/digium_cards_fxo.html
    Sangoma cards are cheaper but I have not tried them.
  • These cards function as a regular modem. In fact, I use mine with hylafax to both send/receive faxes
    I simply have a line in /etc/inittab:
    f0:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty /dev/ttyIAX0
    where /dev/ttyIAX0 is my FXO port.
  • Asterisk and Callweaver are free. FreePBX is a php application which simplifies writing an asterisk dialplan.
    I bought a couple FXS modules to use with my old analog phones in an emergency, but honestly the FXS modules
    are a probably a waste of money. It would be better to apply that $50 to a good ipphone. Snom phones can be bought on eBay for $50-100. I've bought several used Snom360 for ~$70-90 on eBay (retail $@225+) and I've also bought some
    Snom320 phones for ~$50 (new ~$100). There are lots of free SIP and IAX softphones if you don't mind the quality of
    your soundcard's speaker/microphone. Some examples are Zoiper, Xtensoftphone, Kiax. But I prefer a phone with a handset and buttons and lights.

PRICES
  • PentiumIII or faster with floating point hardware (Intel/AMD instead of Celeron/Sempron) ~$100
  • Telephone card + FXO module ~$150
  • softphone/ipphone $0/$75
  • router ~$50 (for connecting your computer with your ipphone

VOIP Adapters (Cisco/Linksys SPA3102, Sipura SPA-3000, IAXy)
These adapters allow you to make voip phone calls over the internet. Your phone must register itself with a VOIP provider. When you make a phone call with one of these devices, your call will be converted to SIP format and routed over the internet (instead of your phone company's dedicated backbone). Your VOIP provider will be running some kind of pbx software, e.g. Vonage runs asterisk. These adapters have FXS modules to allow you to use your old analog telephone as an ipphone to place calls over the internet. There is a bypass switch to allow you to place local POTS calls.

You do not need a telephone pci card if you do not plan on having a trunk to your local POTS. If you only plan on making ipphone calls over your LAN or internet, then you do not need to convert digital SIP/IAX protocol to an analog signal for your local POTS line. For each POTS line you wish to connect to asterisk, you need to connect an RJ11 jack to the corresponding FXO port on your pci card. (If you have RJ14 lines, you will need to split the double lines into two single RJ11 lines)

But I thought you wanted an answering machine which would pickup your local POTS and take voicemail messages.
Of course you could buy an answering machine, but an asterisk pbx is much more flexible since you can program your own IVR. And asterisk can distinguish between voice calls and fax calls and handle each appropriately.

In summary, if you wish to make ipphone calls, you need

• pbx (You could run asterisk yourself or purchase commercial voip service, e.g. Vonage)
  • ipphone If you only have old analog phones, you need FXS port to allow ADC conversion and connection to your pbx provider. The SPA3102 and SPA-3000 are devices which allow you to salvage your old analog phone instead of trashing it. If you have an ipphone, then you simply configure your phone's VOIP URL, account and password. After plugging your ipphone into your LAN, your phone will register itself with the configured VOIP provider and you can now make voip phone calls.
  • Trunk Termination If you wish to make voip calls to your local telco (terminate phone calls), you need to setup an interface (TRUNK) between your voip system and the local POTS. You can pay a VOIP-provider for this service, or you can buy a telephone pci card with FXO modules for each line of your trunk. You can configure asterisk to allow/disallow access to your POTS trunk. You could configure asterisk to only allow registered ipphones on your LAN to use your POTS trunk. Or you could allow any registered ipphone anywhere on the net to use your local POTS trunk. You could even charge for access to your POTS trunk (which is what commercial VOIP providers do)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: