Problem playing DVD's
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Problem playing DVD's Reply with quote

Sorry for the generic subject title, but I just can't seem to find anything specific yet to describe it further. Basically, last night I was trying to watch a tv series I have on DVD with my girlfriend but when I put the DVD into the drive and started XINE, I would get the FBI warning, an intro movie and then XINE would just stop. Not crash, just stop - as if the DVD had finished. Console output described:

Code:
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.5.
(c) 2000-2007 The xine Team.                         
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access

libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient

libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x00000140
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0                                 
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x00000192
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x0000e284
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_0.VOB at 0x0000f4bc
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0x0000f4f5
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_0.VOB at 0x0000f566
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB at 0x0000f59f
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_0.VOB at 0x00100c3d
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB at 0x00100c76
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_0.VOB at 0x001f7639
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB at 0x001f7672
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_0.VOB at 0x002dcf70
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB at 0x002dcfa9
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_07_0.VOB at 0x003e1aa5
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_07_1.VOB at 0x003e1ade
libdvdread: Found 7 VTS's
No accelerated IMDCT transform found
libdvdread: Can't seek to block 4070044
libdvdread: Invalid IFO for title 7 (VTS_07_0.IFO).

Those last 2 lines being the ones that displayed immediately before XINE 'stops'. So, then I tried mplayer (with mplayer dvd://) MPlayer will do the same thing and when it stops I get the 'Exiting... (End of file)' message without any error. (I'd rather not use MPlayer right now anyway, actually, because I'm having what I think is an unrelated issue with it.

I ended up switching to Windows and being able to play the DVD through there (so I know the player and the DVD are fine) and this morning when I woke up I tried another DVD and that actually played fine in XINE (the problem DVD is still giving me grief, however), so I don't know whats going on. I did a search online and through this forum and the only helpful thing I found was some mentions of libdvdread so I upgraded to the most recent version in portage (media-libs/libdvdread-4.1.3-r1) but with still no change - I did end up downgrading this package as I saw some other packages (VLC) were blocked with this version installed)

The last thing I came across to note is my dmesg, which output the following:
Code:
UDF-fs: Partition marked readonly; forcing readonly mount                                                                     
UDF-fs INFO UDF: Mounting volume 'DVD_VIDEO', timestamp 2002/03/27 13:18 (1ed4)                                               
hdb: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }                                                             
hdb: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }                                                         
ide: failed opcode was: unknown                                                                                               
ATAPI device hdb:                                                                                                             
  Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)                                                                                   
  Read of scrambled sector without authentication -- (asc=0x6f, ascq=0x03)                                                     
  The failed "Read 10" packet command was:                                                                                     
  "28 00 00 1f ff c0 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "                                                                           
end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 8388352                                                                               
Buffer I/O error on device hdb, logical block 2097088
Buffer I/O error on device hdb, logical block 2097089

This was repeated a few times, presumably for the few various times I tried playing the damn disc. Lastly, here's my emerge --info. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Code:
Portage 2.2_rc23 (default/linux/amd64/2008.0/desktop, gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.8_p20080602-r1, 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 x86_64)
=================================================================                                               
System uname: Linux-2.6.27-gentoo-r8-x86_64-AMD_Athlon-tm-_64_X2_Dual_Core_Processor_4400+-with-glibc2.2.5       
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 13:30:11 +0000                                                               
app-shells/bash:     3.2_p39                                                                                     
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7-r1, 2.1.6-r1                                                                         
dev-lang/python:     2.4.4-r14, 2.5.2-r7                                                                         
dev-util/cmake:      2.6.2-r1                                                                                   
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.11.1                                                                                   
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.18.1-r2                                                                                 
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.63                                                                                 
sys-devel/automake:  1.5, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10.2                                                   
sys-devel/binutils:  2.18-r3                                                                                     
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.0-r4                                                                                   
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.26                                                                                     
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.27-r2                                                                                   
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"                                                                                         
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"                                                                                     
CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe"                                                                               
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"                                                                                     
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config"                                                                         
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/php/apache2-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/splash /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/web2c /etc/udev/rules.d"                                         
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe"                                                                                                                             
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"                                                                                                                                 
FEATURES="distlocks fixpackages metadata-transfer parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-orphans userfetch"                   
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo"                                                             
LC_ALL="en_US.utf8"                                                                                                                                               
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"                                                                                                                                                 
LINGUAS="en_US en"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/portage/local/layman/enlightenment-svn /usr/portage/local/layman/Spring /usr/portage/local"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="3dnow 3dnowext 64bit 7zip X a52 aac aalib acl acpi alsa amarok amd64 apache2 apm archive bash-completion berkdb blender-game bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cal3d cdda cddb cdinstall cdr cdrom cdsound cli color-console cracklib crypt cups dbus devil dhcp divx djvu doc dvd dvdr dvdread eds emboss encode esd evo fam fame fat fbcon fbcondecor fbdev fbsplash ffmpeg firefox fortran gdbm gif gnutls gpm gstreamer gtk hal hou htmlhandbook iconv id3 id3tag imlib imlib2 ipv6 irrlicht isdnlog jack java java6 joystick jpeg jpeg2k kde kdecards kdm lame ldap libnotify lm_sensors logitech-mouse mad midi mikmod mmx mmxext mp2 mp3 mp4 mp4live mpeg mpeg2 mplayer mudflap multilib musicbrainz mysql ncurses nforce2 nls nptl nptlonly nsplugin nvidia offensive ogg ogre openal opengl openmp pam pcre pdf perl pidgin plasma pmu png ppds pppd python qt3 qt3support qt4 quicktime rar rdesktop readline realmedia reflection sdl sdl-image server session sou sound spell spl sse sse2 ssl startup-notification svg svgz sysfs tagwriting tcpd theora tiff timidity tk transcode truetype twolame unicode usb vcd video videos vim vim-syntax visualizationvnc vncviewer vorbis wifi wma wxwindows x11vnc x264 xcomposite xerces-c xine xinetd xml xorg xscreensaver xulrunner xv xvid zip zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse joystick" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="en_US en" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev nvidia"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienjon,

Code:
UDF-fs: Partition marked readonly; forcing readonly mount 

Thats odd. While DVDs do have a UDF filesystem on them, its not used to play the video.

All video players use raw device access and read read the block list files (using raw block access) to play blocks making up the video in the right order.

The UDF filesystem on a DVD is usually full of corrupt blocks to make copying it both harder and detectable.
Be sure the user you are playing the dvd as is in the cdrom group, so they have raw device access to the DVD drive.
If the kernel automounts the DVD, umount it. This step should not be required but we want to test that raw device access is really being used.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem playing DVD's Reply with quote

alienjon wrote:

Code:
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.5.
(c) 2000-2007 The xine Team.                         
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access

Try upgrading to libdvdcss-1.2.10.

I dunno if that'd help, but it can't hurt. :)
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the replies!

NeddySeagoon: Other dvd's have played fine on my computer (it just seems that this one is causing a problem - and as I noted it seems to only be in linux, as I ended up having to play it in windows) but I did double check and my user is in the cdrom group. Unmounting/manually mounting doesn't seem to make any difference when I tried it.

beandog: Didn't hurt, but I didn't see any change either :(

When I booted into windows I played the file via VLC, so I figured that, at this point, I should try it in linux as well. Interestingly enough it will play in VLC where it won't in the other two but what makes this VERY interesting is that VLC DOESN'T play the FBI warning and the intro that the others only play (which I believe it also did in Windows) I'm not sure if that's a clue or not, but wanted to mention.

Also, in looking at the VLC console output I noticed this little tidbit (which was also output with XINE from my first post):
Code:
No accelerated IMDCT transform found

What exactly is IMDCT? Is it something I should be concerned about, primarily if it might be needed to play some dvd's?
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
"No accelerated IMDCT transform found"

This message comes from liba52. It only means that audio decoding will not be as fast as it could be, but it's no big deal, ac3 decoding doesn't use much resources anyway.
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
ac3 decoding doesn't use much resources anyway.

I won't follow this line of questioning as it deviates from the purpose of this thread, but another problem I just recently started having with MPlayer is that any video I play will play fantastically slowly, and I get the mplayer 'this video is playing too slowly for your computer message'. Could this message be related then, even if ac3 doesn't use THAT many resources?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: