[ANSWERED] Gentoo server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gentoo-Ed
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: [ANSWERED] Gentoo server Reply with quote

I want to setup a central server (finally) for my home network. The NIC will be a usb wireless card from Siemens. During install I'll have a fixed line.

1. Print Server. I will use CUPS and attach the printer to the server with USB. I do want to be able to print to it with windows clients, I thought this was possible.

2. File Server. I will use SAMBA. Windows clients need to access the files too. Will the files be accessable with samba if I use ext3?

3. Mail Server. Not sure yet. I want to collect the mail from pop3 catch all accounts and internally on the server push them to correct accounts of users. I need to have IMAP, and webmail.

4. Virtual Server. I'll run VMWare Server

5. MultiMedia Server. I would like to have clients stream music from the server

6. Database: MySQL

7. Web: Apache2, PHP

8. ....

As you see quite some functions. Maybe I missed some things, but I'm thinking it out first. I would like to get advise. I don't want a window manger on it. I won't attach a screen to it. But what must I install to get control of the server? Should I install a window manager and some VNC client? or is there a other way.

I'ld like ideas or your option on my server tasks. My clients are laptops running gentoo. THough i do have one with windows from work.

Thanks for your time

Last edited by Gentoo-Ed on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
5. MultiMedia Server. I would like to have clients stream music from the server
You could use mythtv, but personally I find it quite ugly on the music-side. I'd recommand mpd+icecast, together with some webui like i.e. jinzora.

Quote:
7. Web: Apache2, PHP
Do you really need all of apache's features? lighttpd and cherokee are very good, lightweight and much faster in some cases.

Quote:
3. Mail Server. Not sure yet. I want to collect the mail from pop3 catch all accounts and internally on the server push them to correct accounts of users. I need to have IMAP, and webmail.
I prefer dovecot for IMAP. Don't like Webmail, but squirrelmail and roundcube are both nice pieces of software. If you also need things like calendar and the like, have a look at the horde-framework.
gentoo_dude
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The print server and file system both can be setup using SAMBA. The CUPS printer can be shared with the windows computers via samba. It doesn't matter the underlaying filesystem for the samba shares: it can be ext3, xfs...the windows computers do not know what file system is...it hands the file writing to the samba server...which then writes the files on the share.
For mail server I recommend postfix...with courier-imap for imap connections. Squiremail can be set to view and send emails.
If you use wireless card you might run into problems with the transfer rates of the files. I use mythtv-music with nfs shares.
Gentoo-Ed
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips to now. Maybe I'll pull a cable instead of wireless
minor_prophets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#5. I vote mpd.
For your front end clients you have a large variety of
embedded, gtk, qt, java, windows, other clients.
MPD Clients

I second your decision to go with a LAN card versus using a wireless network interface.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: