64%
 64%  [ 232 ]
Total Votes : 357

echo6
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

filerba wrote:
There's way too much automation in the world already.

Automation is what computers are good at, taking away from a human those repetitive tasks. Once you've learned how to compile the kernel it's great to be able to have a utility that does those same tasks.

I've been playing about with 2.6.0-test9 kernel and haven't bothered using genkernel, does it still work with 2.6? Doesn't genkernel also put the appropriate entries into grub.conf and lilo config files?

When I've finihsed compiling the kernel manually I use
Code:
make install
within /usr/src/linux to copy the necessary files to /boot. I use grub and that annoying prompt regarding lilo and boot disk means I have to edit the grub.conf manually.
filerba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, I was being ironic. My sig should tell you that I'm down with the automation.
slarti`
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is an advanced distribution. That makes it ideal for power users and intermediate users wanting to increase there knowledge, and to any daring noobs who understand the disclaimer we have: "If you break it, don't get in a hissy fit, it was you who chose Gentoo".

The number of times there are posts in the forums about the same problems with genkernel - most of them dupes - is enormous. Genkernel has that hanging error where you hang at boot... The only way around it is genkernel --config - in which case all point of genkernel is lost. I think that although it is nice to have choice there are a few factors:

• People who have never rolled their own are very daunted so will choose genkernel, even though it was probably within their ability to run make menuconfig.
  • People who want that level of automation should be using another distro (arch for intermediates, fedora for beginners maybe).

I would have no problem with genkernel's existence if it didn't result in discontented noobs screaming "gentoo distributes broken kernels" or something like that. And in terms of support, it's more hassle than it's worth - as an automated tool, it's rather like debconf: more hassle than it's worth :P
rafo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20031110-newsletter.xml there is mention of "portage-ng" which might be written in a language suitable for creating an expert system.

That sounds like quite an interesting idea, and maybe something that could work well for a "genkernel-ng" as well.

Let me first of all say that my personal kernel build count is as little as 4 (once with Red Hat, twice with genkernel and once with menuconfig). That said,

it should be possible to formalize and encode a collection of "kernel building knowledge", consisting of rules like "HW gadget X requires options Y and Z" and "option Q requires option P" and "option A is mutually exclusive with B" and "option R has the explanatory text T" and "option H is elaborated on at url U" and so on.

Given the kernel building knowledge collection it is easy to think of a wizard application that walks through the collection in an ordered fashion and asks the user for those things that cannot be deduced automatically. Menuconfig has a little bit of this in the sense that if you put an Y in a checkbox some other options may appear.

If the kernel being built is to run on the box where genkernel is run the process can be supported by some hardware detection that provides good defaults. Then again, if you are cross-building you shoud have the chance to say so and be prepared to tell things about the target hardware setup (along the way or in advance).

Not a trivial project this, but using a "genkernel-ng" should be even more fun to use than menuconfig, and faster and safer for those that are in a hurry, while still providing total control to those who want it.

Separating the "configuration engine" and the "knowledge collection" is a good thing also in the sense that anyone who doesn't like the available engine(s) can write her own. Plus, the knowledge collection might be adopted and maintained by the kernel developer community--presumably only a small portion of it is special to Gentoo Linux. Even the distros that provide pre-built kernels may use it for consistency verification.

Oh well .. in the meantime I guess we will be using menuconfig :-)
filerba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't claim to be a genkernel expert since I couldn't get it to work and ended up compiling manually, but...

From the install doc:
Quote:
you can type genkernel --config instead, which will cause genkernel to allow you to tweak the default kernel configuration before building begins

I thought this meant the genkernel default which would be used if you didn't specify --config, not the Linux default and it caused me no end of problems.

Anyways I think my misinterpretation would make a good option for genkernel. Then you could get the advantages of hardware detection and customizablity.
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergio1704 wrote:
nerdbert wrote:

I don't think computer are solely made for programmers. This is just some elitist thinking (regards to ebrostig - never thought I would use this term myself :wink: )

Very good point indeed. And now I now enough to tell you that developers/administrators with decades of experience HATE to have to spend hours to have an OS up and running.
That is why they will setup a server with RedHat, Suse or maybe Sol.
And they will install Debian with Libranet, something I know for sure.
Why should they waste hours of their very expensive time when some fellow developers have written a fast installation routine for them (and for everybody else)? :wink:

I don't know and I must also admit that I don't understand your point (I havent't paid attention to this thread for a long time - if your post is somehow related to some things I said before please quote me).
Genkernel is not going to speed up things (ok, it will in the first time, but after that it's just make oldconfig). If I were a Linux admin, I'd have 2 special kernel which would do the job on any x86 or ppc (just the major Linux distro way - create everything as modules) . However, my job forces me to use some proprietary OS and I don't really have any experience in administrating a huge amount of Linux boxens.
davecs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After learning Linux using Mandrake for nearly a year, I thought I would try Gentoo. In the instructions, it said that genkernel would automatically tailor the kernel to my system.

It didn't. It did not load the USB printer or scanner modules. It completely left out iptables and all the other bits needed to build a firewall. Despite the fact that I was building from the Athlon-XP discs, it even build a bogstandard x86 kernel!

So there was the challenge. I had a running Mandrake system in another partition, so if I mess up, me and Gentoo are finished, and I continue with the lovely Mandy.

As it turned out, I was able to use the Kernel Configurator in KDE to prepare my .config file, and I made a few mistakes, but in the end I did get an optimised kernel running - a little too lightweight, the computer does not automatically power down and though the nforce-audio works, it cannot do MIDI as I neglected to add a few other modules. Still next time I have to add anything serious I will put these bits in.

The point is, I had to learn to configure a kernel or give up on Gentoo. However had I not been able to use genkernel in the first place, I would not have seen the sheer speed of Gentoo compared to Mandrake, and maybe would never have properly tried Gentoo.

Perhaps "genkernel" could be redesigned to ask a few questions to cover common alternatives, rather than the scarier way that menuconfig goes about it. Questions like:

Do you have a printer?
If YES is it plugged in to a USB socket or a standard printer socket?
Do you have a scanner?
If YES is it plugged in via the USB socket or a printer socket?
Is your computer a single machine which you will connect to the internet?

They would have covered the things that Genkernel clearly did not for me.

Anyway I shouldn't complain, I can compile the kernel and a week ago I could not!
Ntlworld cable internet via ethernet
and PC-Chips Desknote Laptop (with PCLOS-pre-81a )
Promit
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed Gentoo about a week ago. At that time, I used Genkernel.

Since then, I've recompiled manually a couple times. The kernel still has a lot of extra junk I don't need and have to filter out soon.

I learned to recompile my kernel in 5 minutes. It's not a big deal. Genkernel is nice if you don't know what you're doing, but if you really want a smooth Linux system you pretty much need to go with a manual configuration.

That said, Genkernel isn't a bad thing. It's not ideal, but it can help new users enormously.
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the majority of what's been said. It is in the spirit of gentoo to give choices. As long as I can hack out my own kernel, I'm glad we have such choices.
Random Task
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think that genkernel is a good thing.

I'm not a noob when it comes to compiling kernels (sure there's stuff that I leave out from time to time but that's part of the learning process) but I'm not saying I'm an expert either!

I find that genkernel provides you with a pretty good cornerstone from which you can work to create a customized/small/whatever kernel config.

I can't count the number of times I've started a kernel config, made and rebooted to find out that I forgot something!

With genkernel, I start with full automation but after I boot and find out that everything works I try to strip away as much as possible, if I break something and it doesn't want to boot all I have to do is go back to my genkernel version and tweak the config back to a usable state.

That's how I'm able to run a 2.6 kernel now with little/no huge problems!

Just my opinion obviously :D

You're so drunk you're seeing double...
I've got two guns, one for each of ya!
-Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday, Tombstone
echo6
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that genkernel work with 2.6 kernel then?

I've been compiling the 2.6 kernel manually unaware of this.
Random Task
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it works quite well, however it tries to put everything in as modules that aren't _required_ for system operation.

for example:

Every network card available to man is compiled as a module so more often than not you'll get a bunch of your /lib/modules/<kernel version> directories filled with modules you'd never need.

But I think it is a good stepping stone!

nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Task wrote:
Yeah it works quite well, however it tries to put everything in as modules that aren't _required_ for system operation.

for example:

Every network card available to man is compiled as a module so more often than not you'll get a bunch of your /lib/modules/<kernel version> directories filled with modules you'd never need.

But I think it is a good stepping stone!

that's exactly the point of criticism - why is genkernel a good idea if <any major linux distro's precompiled kernel> will exactly do the same job?

This discussion is really old and I changed my mind about it several times. I now believe that everybody is free to use anything to build her/his kernel. But I still don't understand the benefits of genkernel. I could as well type make menuconfig and hit "m" everytime something can be build as a module... I actually doubt that it will ease the first linux installation of a so called n00b - just imagine what will happen if genkernel somehow fails to come up with a good .config.
Random Task
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With genkernel you only have to type genkernel in the source directory of your choice rather than have to go through everything and press 'm' :lol:

Seriously though, I find it a great learning tool. I find that usually the things it puts in as _required_ are close to what I need in my system anyway.

I find it especially informative if you have just moved from 2.4.x to 2.6.x because some options have been moved around (although for the better, I find the 2.6.x kernels to be better 'organized' in the menuconfig 'gui') and some options are even new/updated.

I'd rather have a working kernel then experiment from there rather than the other way around.

But again, everyone will have their own opinion

Athas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider myself a newbie at compiling kernels manually, and for testing-kernels, I do the usual make dep && make bzImage module modules_install dance, but for my working-kernel (gaming-sources, btw) I use genkernel --config, simply because I'm too lazy to copy it in place manually :oops:

I never tried compiling a kernel with the options that genkernel set, but from what I saw the first time I did genkernel --config, my system would be pretty much unbootable :twisted:

Genkernel - the perfect tool for lazy users :wink:
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Task wrote:
With genkernel you only have to type genkernel in the source directory of your choice rather than have to go through everything and press 'm' :lol:

Ok, I just tried to be funny. My point is that you could as well use a 'stock kernel' from RedHat/Fedora or Debian. Why are you compiling things if you don't have influence on the result?
Random Task wrote:

I'd rather have a working kernel then experiment from there rather than the other way around.

Me, too.
I must confess that I haven't used genkernel for a long time, so I'm not really up to what it does now. It used to create something like a stock kernel, but I'm quite sure that our developers are smarter than that. It might be salutary to look at its output. However - I came to Gentoo because it is the only distro which forces me to learn things like compiling my own kernel. Do you understand Linux's way of doing things after installing e.g. RedHat? I didn't back in 1997. I managed to install gentoo without any help tools or GUI, so I'm able to admin it. This is IMO an advantage.
Random Task wrote:

But again, everyone will have their own opinion

Amen.
Like I said, I don't judge anybody by such things anymore.
Aurisor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: My own experiences... Reply with quote

I always ran Windows, since the 3.1 days. I had tried linux a few times, but I always got scared off because of the difficulty associated with device drivers...I was used to the windows "hardware manager" approach. I never made it to compiling my kernel.

I had given up on linux for a few years before I installed Gentoo on the recommendation of a friend a few months ago, mostly because I was looking for a more stable and open programming environment.

When I installed Gentoo, I used genkernel on gentoo-sources and went on my merry way...as I learned more and more, I built more kernels...because I had a working system, I was free to spend a few hours learning about the kernel, reboot into some new ones, and then just go back to a stable kernel for my everyday work. Now, of course, I never use Genkernel. In fact, I'm running 2.6-test9-mm4, with a .config I tweaked from scratch. :)

The point of this all is that in order to be good an operating system has to be able to "just work" while at the same time maintaining infinite customizability. If it weren't for genkernel I might have given up on the whole Gentoo thing. Offering tools that help the newbies can only benefit everyone so long as we don't compromise the Gentoo experience for the hardcore user.
oldsk00l
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for my attitude before.

I was the pissy newbie at first. However, the patience and straightforwardness turned me right around. I am now getting to be quite capable with Gentoo.

It's humbling, and it makes you fully aware of what Linux and OSS is about. The elitists of Gentoo are rarely arrogant. Yet in the Mandrake and RH camps, elitists really can make a person feel like a plebe.

Gentoo's camp is never like that. I like what the site admin said, voluntary help, if you get it, someone wanted you to get it! That's the only thing that's going to work these days....
GurliGebis
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as long as I still can do a normal make menuconfig, and compile it my self, I really don't care, if genkernel can help someone, then it's good for them, but I just don't want to be forced to use it.
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GurliGebis wrote:
Well, as long as I still can do a normal make menuconfig, and compile it my self, I really don't care, if genkernel can help someone, then it's good for them, but I just don't want to be forced to use it.

good point, but do you know of any distro preventing you to do a make menuconfig? That's just impossible.
GurliGebis
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerdbert wrote:
GurliGebis wrote:

good point, but do you know of any distro preventing you to do a make menuconfig? That's just impossible.

I could imagine Mandrake or Redhat would have problems with custom kernels, but haven't tried.
echo6
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GurliGebis wrote:
I could imagine Mandrake or Redhat would have problems with custom kernels, but haven't tried.

Yes I can imagine that to, neither have genkernel, Gentoo does. It's not perfect but it is a of use to someone new to Gentoo. So long as it doesn't introduce more problems to the new user then it is fine by me. I've not used it for a while, and if I did it would be with
Code:
genkernel --config
I haven't used it with 2.6 kernel, and I find the 2.6 easier to incante
Code:
make && make modules modules_install
make install
The only issue I have with that is that it assumes use of lilo and barfs when you say no. Yes ok I could copy the necessary files across to /boot but make install does it for me even though it takes longer and barfs at the prompt. I'm sure it used to add the appropriate entry in the grub.conf as well, but I've always had to do that manually since I saw the prompt for lilo. Must have missed something somewhere!
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GurliGebis wrote:
nerdbert wrote:
GurliGebis wrote:

for sure you haven't tried. Please believe me - I've tried and succeeded. It's possible...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: