mythtv and serperate drives
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: mythtv and serperate drives Reply with quote

can mythtv be used with serperate hard drives, i have a mixture of movies videos and pictures on all 4 drives. I have looked through their docs but it seems to suggest that its better as one drive, whether its a single hard drive or as a raid or lvm. I could do this but it means backing everything up and copying everything back down, and i have a lot of original legally owned dvds ripped onto the drive, forgot to mention this is going from a vista to gentoo box, so i don't really want to have to re-rip all the discs as their isn't a great ripper under linux yet, and im not sure if anydvd and dvd decrypter work well under wine (haven't had chance to check)
eduardhc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: mythtv and serperate drives Reply with quote

Carps wrote:
can mythtv be used with serperate hard drives, i have a mixture of movies videos and pictures on all 4 drives. I have looked through their docs but it seems to suggest that its better as one drive, whether its a single hard drive or as a raid or lvm. I could do this but it means backing everything up and copying everything back down, and i have a lot of original legally owned dvds ripped onto the drive, forgot to mention this is going from a vista to gentoo box, so i don't really want to have to re-rip all the discs as their isn't a great ripper under linux yet, and im not sure if anydvd and dvd decrypter work well under wine (haven't had chance to check)

MythVideo plugin (I assume you are talking about it) uses a single entry point folder to look for videos. The only solution I can come back for separate drives is to use symlinks inside that folder pointing to the partitions containing the movies.

Regards
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot about symlinks :) - good idea i will give them a try
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: mythtv and serperate drives Reply with quote

eduardhc wrote:

MythVideo plugin (I assume you are talking about it) uses a single entry point folder to look for videos. The only solution I can come back for separate drives is to use symlinks inside that folder pointing to the partitions containing the movies.

Regards

Not true...the MythVideo setting for the video directory allows multiple paths separated by a colon. Here's mine:

Code:
select * from settings where value='VideoStartupDir'
--------------

+-----------------+--------------------------------------+-----------+
| value           | data                                 | hostname  |
| VideoStartupDir | /home/tom/backend:/home/tom/frontend | mythfront |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

...as it happens on my frontend, those are however symlinks...one to a local drive on the frontend and one to the mount point of an nfs share on the backend.

Tom
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: mythtv and serperate drives Reply with quote

tld wrote:
eduardhc wrote:

Regards

Not true...the MythVideo setting for the video directory allows multiple paths separated by a colon.

Really? Thats awesome.

I remember seeing a setting once upon a time that for Myth recordings you could add multiple drives. I think its in 0.21.
flybynite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current stable myth can use different drives/dir for both videos and recordings. See above for video. Storage groups add this feature for recordings

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#storagegroups

I use two dir's (one raid and one not) for both video's and recordings.
eduardhc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: mythtv and serperate drives Reply with quote

tld wrote:
eduardhc wrote:

Regards

Not true...the MythVideo setting for the video directory allows multiple paths separated by a colon. Here's mine:

Code:
select * from settings where value='VideoStartupDir'
--------------

| value           | data                                 | hostname  |
| VideoStartupDir | /home/tom/backend:/home/tom/frontend | mythfront |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

...as it happens on my frontend, those are however symlinks...one to a local drive on the frontend and one to the mount point of an nfs share on the backend.

Tom

Really? Didn't know that, that's cool :D
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet will try that later - although i have already made symlinks :p
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: mythtv and serperate drives Reply with quote

beandog wrote:

Really? Thats awesome.

I remember seeing a setting once upon a time that for Myth recordings you could add multiple drives. I think its in 0.21.

I think we're referring to two different things there. The setting I was referring to is for the MythVideo directory/directories. As far as actual MythTV recordings, the use of multiple drives was addressed as of 0.21 with the addition of storage groups.

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: