Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Alternative location for settings for multiple linuxes?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redgsturbo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Alternative location for settings for multiple linuxes? Reply with quote

Heres the scenerio.. i have /dev/mapper/gentoo, dev/mapper,ubuntu, and /dev/mapper/home. home is mounted using pam_mount at login. It contains my actual home directory encrypted. I'd like to utilize this partition for either OS so I am free to flipflop between gentoo and ubuntu and yet still carry all my settings with me. What is the best way to accomplish this? I don't want either OS clobbering settings for the other... I was thinking that if there is someway to make gentoo look for gentoo settings in /home/myhome/.gentoo/ and likewise for ubuntu this might work and then I could just symlink my documents, pics, etc directories into a convinient place... but I don't know if this is possible or if a cleaner solution exists. Anyone? Thanks!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redgsturbo,

The cleanest way to do this is to make different users for the different distros and another dir in /home for your documents.
You will need to create the users with identical names in the same order in every distro, so they get the same UserID.
Its UserIDs that are used everywhere, not usernames.

Put all your users in a common group, say users, on each distro.

As root, in any distro, make a /home/docs folder anc chown it to users:users

Now, each disto will save it settings in the /home/<username> you use to login as and you can point the applications to save things in the /home/docs folder.

The only complication is that you must remember to log in as the right user.
You can arrange to be refused a login if you attempt to use the wrong username by mangling you shell in /etc/passwd for users that are not permitted to log in in the distro. set it to /bin/nologin instead of /bin/bash

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: