Linux with DUAL DDR install on nforce 2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Linux with DUAL DDR install on nforce 2 Reply with quote

This from AMDzone.com

Quote:
New NF7/S Rev 2 Bios Allows Dual Channel Linux Install
Reported by: Chris Tom At: 2:48 PM Source: e-mail

Haralambos sent in details about the latest bios for the Abit NF7 and NF7-S revision 2 allowing him to install Debian 3 and Mandrake 9.1 with dual channel memory enabled. He still has a problem with the high res frame buffer enabled.
My NF7 board benefited from this BIOS, as it allowed the installation of Debian 3.0 Linux & Mandrake 9.1 in Dual Channel mode. Previously, I could not do this.

The official blurb is....

Version: 16 Released Date: 2003-06-25
For NF7 v2.0 motherboard, please update BIOS v1.6 in case the system intermittently hangs up at POST screen of PCI devices listing with BIOS v1.4 and earlier. Please update the bios by following steps:
- Format a floppy disk on another PC system in Windows.
- Copy "AWDFLASH.EXE" and "NF7D_16.BIN" files onto the floppy disk.
- Power on NF7 v2.0 system, insert the floppy disk into drive A, and press + keys to update BIOS.
Please use AWDFLASH 8.23D or later to update NF7 series BIOS. With incorrect AWDFLASH version, the GUID will be erased, and leads to IEEE1394 peer to peer function failed. AWDFLASH 8.23K is included in this BIOS package.
Fixes systems freezes in S-ATA BIOS initial while using display card on PCI slot.
Fixes the problem if FAN speeded too slow, system would hang at BIOS screen or at watching the status in PC health Status screen.
BIOS Compile Date: 6/25/2003.

http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision1.php?categories=1&model=124

*BUT* Mandrake will not install in dual channel mode & neither Linux'z will boot with a "high res frame buffer" selected, like 1024x768 & if selected, hangs.....

hmmm now what about the asus a7n8x deluxe ;)
payam
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a biostar m7ncd pro (nforce2 ultra 400) with dual channel ddr using 512mb crucial modules. everything that was going wrong in the quote is going smoothly for me. i figured i'd let people know that this mobo is working well alongside linux. (1 exception: i couldn't boot the gentoo cd into framebuffer mode, but my own custom kernel works fine in framebuffer mode. i have a geforce fx 5200)
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u prob can't boot framebuffer with gentoo live cd because u have a gig of ram, and the livecd kernel does not have large mem support. :)

so for ppl with this problem, just type nofb at the boot prompt.
deurk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about that too (even though I find the solution pretty quickly...) but Hey, wait!

I've just downgraded to 512M and it still doesn't work with a NF7 and a ATI Radeon 9700...
ranjit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've just downgraded to 512M and it still doesn't work with a NF7 and a ATI Radeon 9700...

Well, according to the site there's been another 2 revisions since that one, maybe one of those will do better?

FWIW I've got an Nv-chipset machine at work (Ath-XP-2000 1.67GHz) that rocks even with Mandrake.

One small thing: you've got noacpi/ apic and you have enabled USB and hotplug on boot? (A few AMD machines won't work detect PCI cards w/o hotplug.)
deurk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ranjit"]
Quote:
One small thing: you've got noacpi/ apic and you have enabled USB and hotplug on boot? (A few AMD machines won't work detect PCI cards w/o hotplug.)

I currently have:
NO ACPI or APIC functions compiled in kernel or module
USB and HOTPLUG functions compiled into kernel
ranjit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have explained better, I only meant for the install CD, so I use
Code:
gentoo noapm noraid dokeymap
to start the install. Sounds like this isn't what's causing your problem, tho. Hope it works out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: