EVMS2 starting errors :(
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trapni
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: EVMS2 starting errors :( Reply with quote

hi all,

I'm having trouble in starting EVMS2; I've the useflag evms2 enabled,
using gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r6, and have emerged evms, too.

Now starting evms by hand (/etc/init.d/evms start) or just rebooting the computer lets run me into errors.

evms (libe2fsim.1.2.1.so) complains about a different API version (8.1.0 against 10.0.0), and then it raises lots of modprobe errors (Can't locate module /dev/disc; ...). the passed modules are no modules, they're paths in my /dev directory.

Here's my booting screenshot showing it:
http://cparpart.surakware.net/public/evms-err-01.png

Many thanks for any help,
Christian Parpart.
dolbz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm happy to know that I'm not alone. I have the same issue and it has something to do with devfs but the evms people didn't even seem to be able to help me. It's just something you have to live with I'm afraid. Let me know if you learn more and can get rid of the errors.

Thanks
Dolbz
trapni
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I am using LVM (version 1) on my server right now, and would like to test EVMS (version 2) on my desktop to have a painless switch on the server side later.

But how the hell can I get into EVMS when it even doesn't start?

Damn,
Christian.
danielblues
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've changed this line in /etc/evms.conf
Quote:

# include = [ hd? sd? dasd? disc ]
include = [ hd? ]

and moved libe2fsim.1.2.1.so to /tmp to test and all was ok.

evms2 is working ok (raid resize) with ext3... some problems with reiserfs, the one I've chosed to use, no boot or root on evms.

daniel
saghi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: evms2 problems Reply with quote

Hi All,
I'm having just about the exact same problem.
I'm using a fresh gentoo-r6 install.
I did USE="evms2" with emerge gentoo-sources (2.4.20-r6).
Initially I did "genkernel," seems kind of cool.
After that I emerged evms (and rc-update add ...), and just to be sure I rebooted my machine. Then I did make menuconfig, changed all that I knew I would use (MD support, all the associated toys, and raid1 - my goal) to built-in, and left the rest as modules.
I'm able to run evmsn and see my devices but I can't seem to be able to do much of anything. It seems not to have properly loaded module(s).
This is the error message I get upon calling /etc/init.d/evms start:

Engine: The plug-in Ext2/3 in module /lib/evms/libe2fsim.1.2.1.so requires Engine services API version (8.1.0) which is less than this Engine's services API version (9.0.0)

This is very frusterating and I'm anxious for a fix/helpful insight.
Thank you much!
mtPete
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: me too Reply with quote

I have same problem, though I know my kernel isn't configured right yet.

Question: the evms site installation instructions have patches that need to be applied to the 2.4.x kernel for evms2 to work. Is it correct that all of these are already in the gentoo-sources kernel and so evms should work? see: http://evms.sourceforge.net/install-2.0.html Is there a list of gentoo-sources patches somewhere so I can verify this?

I see that evms 2.1.1 is out. Is there an ebuild in the works for that?
mtPete
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: device mapper Reply with quote

I recompiled the kernel (latest gentoo-sources) turning on options according to the evms install guide. However I didn't see options for device mapper. There is a patch for 2.4.x, but it doesn't appear to be present. Can anyone confirm this?

also, I have seen mention of the evms2 USE flag, but no official documentation of it in the USE docs. Does it really exhist and if so, what does it do?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
also, I have seen mention of the evms2 USE flag, but no official documentation of it in the USE docs. Does it really exhist and if so, what does it do?

I've never tried EVMS, but I have seen the evms2 USE flag by using the -v option.
Code:
# emerge -pv gentoo-sources

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N   ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r6  -build +crypt -evms2 -aavm -usagi -doc -tcltk
saghi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtPete,
I did "USE evms2" in my /etc/make.conf file . . . But this was like the first time, I wasn't usesd to using uses, so in order to be thourough (since it all seems so implicit and if emvs2 did emerge correctly you'd never see a word about it), I did "export $USE="evms2". Anyway, point being, it worked fine. Going into make menuconfig after emerging gentoo-sources (and having a good run of genkern), I found the Device mapper had installed itself - under Multi-Device Support, at the very bottom it asks to enable Device Mapper, and underneath were two or three other options (all of wich I believe _should_ be enabled).
Strangely though, before I did this "use evms2" buisness I HAD EVMS in my menuconfig - right above multi-device support. (Maybe that was after I ran some patches - which all gave copious ammounts of errors - it was late and I don't remember for sure...)
The other thing I'm wondering, like you mentioned, is weather or not the 2.0.1 ebuild (I couldn't find 2.1.1 ebuild) had the patches built in (i.e. don't worry about it or do anything) or if the files are there and meant to run (and meant to have so many errors??).

In the end I'm able to run evmsn, but if I try to do anything evms related (i.e. run evms_activate), it complains at me.
shwag
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: just remove the old library Reply with quote

just do a rm on the library its complaining about. No worries, its safe. I already added to a bug report on this one, so look in bugs.gentoo.org if you are still confused.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: