View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: gnome problems Reply with quote

hello, I have been trying to get gnome working, but am failing terribly. I think the problem might be that I aborted the emerge several times (had to shutdown) and somehow the configuration got messed up. Anyway, when I tried to start any gnome app (gedit, etc), I got the error that .gconfd was not writable, after I chowned it to my username (why wasn't it so in the first place?) most gnome apps now work, but I still can't get nautilus or gnome-session to start.

Nautilus complains that it can't connect to the configuration database (gconfd?) and that there is no ior file.

gnome-session just gives an uninformative error msg and locks up displaying the gentoo-gnome logo

also, even though most applications now work, I still get an error that configuration couldn't be saved (at random it appears)

any suggestions? I can't reinstall since the emerge takes longer than I can keep the machine up at one time.
jasonm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dv,

You can try re-installing just gconf:

Code:

# emerge gconf -vp

and possibly gconf-editor, as well.

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't believe this will take too long to remerge.

jasonm

"Open source takes the bullshit out of software."
[small]~ Charles Ferguson on TechnologyReview.com[/small]
dv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reinstalled both, but i'm still gettings errors.

when starting nautilus i get the following three errors in dialogs:
Quote:
The application "Nautilus" attempted to change an aspect of your configuration that your system administrator or operating system vendor does not allow you to change. Some of the settings you have selected may not take effect, or may not be restored next time you use the application.

Quote:
GConf error:
No database available to save your configuration:
Unable to store a value at key '/apps/nautilus/preferences_version', as the configuration server has no writable databases. There are some common causes of this problem: 1) your configuration path file /etc/gconf/2/path doesn't contain any databases or wasn't found 2) somehow we mistakenly created two gconfd processes 3) your operating system is misconfigured so NFS file locking doesn't work in your home directory or 4) your NFS client machine crashed and didn't properly notify the server on reboot that file locks should be dropped. If you have two gconfd processes (or had two at the time the second was launched), logging out, killing all copies of gconfd, and logging back in may help. If you have stale locks, remove ~/.gconf*/*lock. Perhaps the problem is that you attempted to use GConf from two machines at once, and ORBit still has its default configuration that prevents remote CORBA connections - put "ORBIIOPIPv4=1" in /etc/orbitrc. As always, check the user.* syslog for details on problems gconfd encountered. There can only be one gconfd per home directory, and it must own a lockfile in ~/.gconfd and also lockfiles in individual storage locations such as ~/.gconf
All further errors shown only on terminal

Quote:
Nautilus can't be used now, due to an unexpected error from Bonobo when attempting to register the file manager view server.

and this in the console:

Quote:
499,p0,0> nautilus

(nautilus:6551): Eel-WARNING **: GConf error:
No database available to save your configuration:
Unable to store a value at key '/apps/nautilus/preferences_version', as the configuration server has no writable databases. There are some common causes of this problem: 1) your configuration path file /etc/gconf/2/path doesn't contain any databases or wasn't found 2) somehow we mistakenly created two gconfd processes 3) your operating system is misconfigured so NFS file locking doesn't work in your home directory or 4) your NFS client machine crashed and didn't properly notify the server on reboot that file locks should be dropped. If you have two gconfd processes (or had two at the time the second was launched), logging out, killing all copies of gconfd, and logging back in may help. If you have stale locks, remove ~/.gconf*/*lock. Perhaps the problem is that you attempted to use GConf from two machines at once, and ORBit still has its default configuration that prevents remote CORBA connections - put "ORBIIOPIPv4=1" in /etc/orbitrc. As alwa

** (nautilus:6551): CRITICAL **: file bonobo-activation-activate.c: line 260 (bonobo_activation_query): assertion `ac != NULL' failed

** (nautilus:6551): CRITICAL **: file bonobo-activation-activate.c: line 260 (bonobo_activation_query): assertion `ac != NULL' failed

i only have one gconfd running

Quote:
514,p1,0> ls -al ~/.gconfd -R
/home/dv/.gconfd:
total 6
drwx------ 3 dv root 104 Aug 12 21:54 .
drwxr-xr-x 62 dv root 4784 Aug 12 21:50 ..
drwx------ 2 dv users 72 Aug 12 21:48 .lock
-rwx------ 1 dv users 0 Aug 12 21:54 saved_state

/home/dv/.gconfd/.lock:
total 5
drwx------ 2 dv users 72 Aug 12 21:48 .
drwx------ 3 dv root 104 Aug 12 21:54 ..
-rwx------ 1 dv users 585 Aug 12 21:48 ior
Nox2k3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem, just reinstalled gentoo on this system and can't get gnome to work. I've deleted everything in ~ and it just keeps coming back, I've remerged gconf to no avail. This is a clean install so I'm not exactly sure what could be wrong
tree kindred
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: NFS Reply with quote

You need to enable NFS in your kernel (under Network Filesystems in the 2.6 Kernel).
Once that is done, gnome stops whining.
You don't need the NFS server, just client.

For how to configure and compile the kernel, there are documents on the gentoo site.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: