Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Trouble installing onto Powerbook G4 (No CD drive)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtyhippy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Trouble installing onto Powerbook G4 (No CD drive) Reply with quote

As the topic says, I am trying to install Gentoo onto a Powerbook G4 without a working CD drive. First, I tried used dd to duplicate the a Gentoo install disk onto an external firewire HDD. The drive appeared in the boot menu (Holding Option at bootup) but would not boot from it. If I selected the external disk, the screen invert and the OS icons (OSX and Tux) would be garbled. I also tried putting the disk into another machine (macbook) and used target disk mode to read it on the powerbook. Again, attempting to boot from the disk would result in an inverted screen and corrupted OS icons. I should note that I can use this menu to successfully boot from the CD, but the CD drive poops out before anything useful can be done. Attempts to boot the drive from the open firmware prompt were not productive. Can anyone give me some direction on how this can be done?
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: thumbdrive? Reply with quote

Maybe stick the installer onto a bootable thumb usb?
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to boot with SysRescCD on a thumb drive.
dirtyhippy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I misunderstood your suggestions, or maybe I wasn't very clear in my post. I have tried booting the installer (which was copied from the install CD) from an external drive. The computer recognized this drive, but attempting to boot from the drive just failed. Do I need to "bless" some folder differently because it is a hard drive rather than the CD? If I was somehow able to boot from the recovery CD, would I not just use that same technique to boot from the install CD?

<edit> I followed the instructions in this post and was able to get a little farther. By using the command 'boot fw/node/sbp/disk:,//yaboot' it seemed like it started to boot (the screen turned to white text on a black background, rather than the reverse), but gave the message:

Can't open device <cd:0>
cd:-1,/boot/boot.msg: Unable to open file, Invalid device
...more yaboot info...

I think that I'll try just copying the files from the cd next instead of using dd.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: