Unbelievably slow program start
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abdaxz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Unbelievably slow program start Reply with quote

Greetings,

I have installed Gentoo 1.4r4 and for some time it has worked very good. But now, sometimes (and this is the irritating part, it is not always so...) it gets slow after logging in using gdm. I will take minutes to get from gdm to a started gnome. When inside, it will take ages to start programs, even xterm takes half a minute or so.

[added: the swap is almost not used at all, and top says I have a load average that is normal. Gkrellm2 is not over the top either, showing normal usage. The system is a Celeron 533 with 256Mb RAM and a nVidia graphics card.]

I do have a problem during login, my ISP requires me to do a weblogin everytime I want to connect to the net so gnome informs me that it cannot find my name and that I should add it to /etc/hosts. The problem is that I don't have a permanent ip-address, and therefore I don't know what to enter.

I have looked through the forums as carefully as I can, but have not found an answer to my questions - so please help me. I at least need somewere to start...

Shine on you crazy diamond(s)

/Tobias
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like disc speeds....look into hdparm and see how fast your HDD is running :wink:
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Unbelievably slow program start Reply with quote

Abdaxz wrote:
I do have a problem during login, my ISP requires me to do a weblogin everytime I want to connect to the net so gnome informs me that it cannot find my name and that I should add it to /etc/hosts. The problem is that I don't have a permanent ip-address, and therefore I don't know what to enter.

I think this is the cause of your problem. I had the same symptoms when my ISP's DNS servers didn't respond.

From the installation manual:
Quote:
Note: If you are on a DHCP network, it might be helpful to add your machine's actual hostname after localhost. This will help GNOME and many other programs in name resolution.

Thus, if you called your machine foo.bar.com this is what you should add after localhost in /etc/hosts.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: