cdbakeoven problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimp2x
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject: cdbakeoven problems Reply with quote

Compilation list contains 14 files.
Of those, 14 MP3 and 0 Ogg Vorbis file(s) will be decompressed.
Starting to decompress MP3/Ogg Vorbis file(s)!
Decompressing 'One day in your life' (1 of 14), percent done:
Failed to decompress MP3/Ogg Vorbis files!
Failed to remove '/tmp/cdbo_audio_7_19_20_40_2.wav'!

what is wrong?!
gimp2x
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes?
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the oggvorbis USE variable?
erik21d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that same problem when I run cdbakeoven when I use the 'run command' or menu.

Funny thing is it works perfectly when I run it from the console.

Anyone have an idea why this happens?
raluke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: cdbakeoven problems Reply with quote

gimp2x wrote:
Compilation list contains 14 files.
Of those, 14 MP3 and 0 Ogg Vorbis file(s) will be decompressed.
Starting to decompress MP3/Ogg Vorbis file(s)!
Decompressing 'One day in your life' (1 of 14), percent done:
Failed to decompress MP3/Ogg Vorbis files!
Failed to remove '/tmp/cdbo_audio_7_19_20_40_2.wav'!

what is wrong?!

Okay, I'm getting the exact same problem. In my /etc/make.profile/make.defaults files, both mpeg and oggvorbis are specified as USE variables. I know it's been a few months since this thread came up, but maybe somebody can help me out?

To make it even more confusing, it (cdbakeover, but arson is doing this too) works fine when I burn ogg files to an audio CD; and creating a data file CD works too. It just has trouble with the MP3 stuff. Command line stuff invocation of mpg123 works just fine, too. It's when I try arson or cdbakeoven or anything else I can find as a front end that the process is hosed.

Thanks in advance for any help,
-Robert

Last edited by raluke on Sun Dec 22, 2002 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
raluke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a lot of searching of the Gentoo forums and Google, and have come to the conclusion that burning mp3 files to an audio CD is considered problematic, although there are solutions.

First of all, the best method I've found for actually doing this is a shell script by zen_guerilla in this thread: Burning MP3s to Audio, which uses the mpg123 utility in /usr/bin. I've tried it, the conversion (mp3 -> wav) takes about 5 minutes to produce about an hour of audio. It takes another few minutes to burn the CD.

Second of all, there is an awful lot of vague information out there, as well as information I could just not confirm in my experimentation. Specifically, there are a lot of web pages, usenet posts, and Gentoo forum posts claiming that the various gui cd burning programs (Arson, XCDRoast, cdbakeover, gtoaster, gcombust, SimpleCDRX, etc.) can handle mp3-to-audio burning. And they all fail to do so, at least for me. Many seem to be depending on mpg123 and they do not use it correctly, or at least they don't use it correctly as installed on my Gentoo box. Your mileage may vary because your computer may be set up more "correctly" than my own.

The program that seems to me to have the best chance of doing this is Arson (see arson.sourceforge.net), but the current version seems to have an mpg123 option hard-coded incorrectly. See the post reporting this on Sourceforge at this link. However that report was made in the middle of November and has apparently not been fixed yet.

So, my conclusion is that until Arson is fixed, I'm stuck using the shell script whenever I want to burn mp3 files to audio, although it seems to work great when I want to burn ogg files to audio, or make file backups to CDR.

Based on other comments I've found on the Gentoo forum site, I'm going to get a lot of disagreement from others, if anybody reads this. So, please, correct me if I'm wrong, because I've been at this a while and would like to find a better (more convenient) answer.

-Robert
raluke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever it's worth, I've been using K3B successfully for some time now. See http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/pkgs/app-cdr/k3b.xml. Since it has been a while since my last post to this thread, I cannot remember exactly why I didn't try K3B then. But I've installed it a couple of times now, and it sets up and works extremely well. Also, I have no trouble burning ogg, mp3, or wav files to audio CDs. Burning data CDs works well, too, although that isn't terribly unique to K3B.

Hope this helps.
-Robert
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Same problem w/ cdbakeoven Reply with quote

I get the same problem w/ cdbakeoven --but--

Burning mp3's (at least the decoding part--haven't gotten as far as burning the CD yet) works if I launch cdbakeoven from the command line. This is why it worked for me last week, because I had launched it from bash and not from my root menu.

I'm gonna try to run a simple shell script that launches cdbakeoven, and see if that fixes the problem.

I've tried to use arson for burning, but I've run into problems because it apparently doesn't like source files (.ogg, .mp3, etc) that have spaces in the filename. Unless this mpg123 problem is what was causing that... I'll have to check.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: