what I hate of gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentunian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: what I hate of gentoo Reply with quote

Hi there,

Don't get me wrong. I'm using gentoo since five years. I love it. I just cant use ubuntu, its get me mad...really mad.

But, gentoo has this little things that makes you hate it a little. When you install a software, you want it to be available on your menu list. This it's not automatically. I recently installed inkscape. And then I realized it's not listed in grapchis for example (gnome). I don't think it's a problem for now because I'm coincient that I have installed this program. But, when a few months had passed by...will I remember that inkscape it's intalled? I know, I could trying emerging it and then I will realized that it is already installed...But, I don't like this. Why inkscape after being emerged it's not showed in my menu? I don't think that this is an user matter. I don't need to take the job of adding every software to my menu. I just want it to be in there after an emerge. As it's suppossed to be...

That thing makes a huge difference...maybe a lot of gentoo users thinks not...But trully, I don't have memory to remember in this 5 years all the software I have installed. This must be review it.

Regards,

PS: I'm not english speaker and I don't write good in english. It's even worst when I'm drunk as now...but it's a matter I have in mind since months...
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, when you sober up - fix the ebuild and submit the patch. It's not difficult.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further, I doubt this is a symptom of Gentoo, but more of GNOME, if such functionality occurs in other distros such as Ubuntu its likely down to patches they have made that are yet to be absorbed upstream.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, it's a Gnome bug :P
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, off the top of my head, it sounds like update-desktop-database isn't being run. Or /usr/share/applications/inkspace.desktop isn't being created.
HMC
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: what I hate of gentoo Reply with quote

gentunian wrote:
what I hate of gentoo...

A missing menu link...

8O Thats it?!

That would qualify as little more than a minor distraction. The fix is less than 30s.

There are a lot of things about Gentoo that really wrankle me... not the least of which is that it "almost works" out of the box as opposed to "just works" with the others.... and there are some aspects of Gentoo that will always keep it on the fringes... but revisiting Windows or one of the other mainstream Linux distros reminds me of why I use it. With a little (okay a lot) of work the results are quite rewarding.

I have been using Gentoo since 2002 (or thereabouts) and recently made the decision to roll it out across my network... It took me about 4 months to get it "just so" prior to the roll out. Working on the last computer as I type.

The only exception is my EeePC which runs eeebuntu, and that thing has enough warts that I sometimes question why I persist with it. The grass is not always greener.

Cheers
gentunian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: what I hate of gentoo Reply with quote

HMC wrote:
gentunian wrote:
what I hate of gentoo...

A missing menu link...

8O Thats it?!

yes! =) I love gentoo! It's my mainly distro. I'm not drunk anymore now, hahaha :)

I only hate that little things that are more oriented to the end-user. But, if we are going to talk about hate, I really hate [*]ubuntu. It makes me mad...

I'll check tonight what was the error (or bug) and fix it. Last night was a friendly discharge about little things :)

Regards,
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: