Gentoo ripped me off?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chadders
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Gentoo ripped me off? Reply with quote

Look at this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=74275&highlight=shipped I am another one that preordered 1.4 CD's from the GENTOO STORE which is part of THIS SITE and was advertised IN THESE FORUMS that was supposed to ship on August 5th. Someone else (NOT ME) asked the question WHERE ARE THEY and the GENTOO MODERATORS said this:

Quote:
ebrostig wrote: This is really not the place to ask as we are not associated with the Gentoo Inc that sells it. You should place your inquiries to the place where you ordered the CD's.

Sorry...

Quote:
and then bloody_bastard wrote: You forgot to lock it, ebrostig

Then they locked the thread so noone else can find out anything. WHO AM I SUPPOSED TO CALL? There isn't a phone # on the http://store.gentoo.org site! Maybe SOMEONE ON HERE could tell us what is going on????

I TRUSTED the GENTOO STORE because they were PART OF THE GENTOO WEBPAGES. Maybe NOONE should buy ANYTHING from GENTOO STORE. WHY DONT THE MODERATORS EVEN CARE???

Chad :evil:
Tasslehoff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try emailing store@gentoo.org the address is listed at the bottom of the store.gentoo.org page. The moderators or anyone at the forum really has no way to know anything about the orders which is why they told you to contact the store.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo ripped me off? Reply with quote

chadders wrote:
I TRUSTED the GENTOO STORE because they were PART OF THE GENTOO WEBPAGES. Maybe NOONE should buy ANYTHING from GENTOO STORE. WHY DONT THE MODERATORS EVEN CARE???
I am sorry to hear about your difficulties with the Gentoo Store. I have posted a message in the thread you linked should anyone searching for more information here happen upon it. I hope the difficulties you have experienced are quickly resolved as do the other moderators on this forum.

They do care about your satisfaction with Gentoo Linux as well as the satisfaction everyone else gets from using this distribution, but the moderators here are not in charge of the Gentoo Store and have no kind of 'insider information' with respect to what the store is shipping or selling. They locked the previous thread in the hopes that no one would get the impression that we are in any way able to help with customer service issues that are related to the store.

I apologize for any difficulties this may have caused you and I sincerely hope that you are able to get this issue resolved as quickly as possible.
neocui
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i'm in the same boat....

as far as i know.. the web page after aug 7th said the cds are shipping "approximately aug 10"... which is BS cuz the 10th was a sunday... then it wasn't until yesterday (aug 12) that the gentoo store said the CDs are "now shipping" and "in stock"... so i would suggest to be patient... one of these days they'll come
senectus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If either of you guys ordered the Athlon XP disks it might still be being held back, I understand there was a problem with the XP build..
Wise man say: A skilled troll is a master baiter.
chadders
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope I ordered the Pentium III build.

Chad :?
Chris Hickman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one it says that is now shipping is the P4 version, sadly.

I have already e-mailed gentoo store a couple of days ago, with no response.

Chris
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey don't get pissed guys.. would you rather the gentoo guys waste money and send you cd's with bugs so that you could complain and want another copy?
they are doing the right thing by waiting untill most of the bugs are gone and they can send out something to be proud off
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hey don't get pissed guys.. would you rather the gentoo guys waste money and send you cd's with bugs so that you could complain and want another copy?
they are doing the right thing by waiting untill most of the bugs are gone and they can send out something to be proud off
As was already said Gentoo has nothing to do with store.gentoo.org.

Was probably a bad idea to let a third party use that web address since it suggests it's an official gentoo store.

Quote:
Nope I ordered the Pentium III build.
I see that on store.gentoo.org some of them are listed as pre-order and some are listed as in-stock. P3 is listed as pre-order for example and P4 is listed as in-stock (as of writing this). I suppose you might have to wait a little longer.

$15usd seems really expensive to me for two CD's, I'm not sure how many pages the printed instructions are though. Doing a search on google the first place I found selling gentoo CD's is selling 1.4rc2 for $3usd and has other 7(!) CD distros for $15usd.
caseyf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen to me. At the very least, they shouldn't have charged my account $18.50 unless they had shipped. I've also tried contacting store@gentoo.org and www@gentoo.org with no response.

oubipaws wrote:

No, I'd just like to know what the status of my order is. Just a little reassurance that they haven't just stolen my money. I've heard nothing yet. If the problem is working out some last minute kinks, then tell me as much! For every other item that I've purchased on the net there is at the very least a record of my order somewhere. Gradepal.com, which processed the order doesn't look like they have even anything to do with Gentoo!
jlambert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be patient if you want a quality product. The only status you need is to keep an eye on the store. As of right now the P3 cds say Aug 15th and the Athlon-XP says Now Shipping. It takes time to burn that many cds, even if you go through a plant, which I dont think they did in order to keep costs down. They will come, dont worry.
caseyf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlambert wrote:
Just be patient if you want a quality product. The only status you need is to keep an eye on the store. As of right now the P3 cds say Aug 15th and the Athlon-XP says Now Shipping. It takes time to burn that many cds, even if you go through a plant, which I dont think they did in order to keep costs down. They will come, dont worry.

I'll make a deal with you.. you give me $18.50 and I'll be patient and not say another word about it. I'll give you your money back as soon as I get my CDs... Honest! Deal? :D

FYI I got the P4 CDs which have been Available now since Friday IIRC.
jlambert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you get your paycheck and taxes come out of it to you want your tax refund check right then? BTW, your cds have been avaliable since friday you say, but you have not given a full 7days for shipping. then you can at least have somewhat of a reason.
caseyf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this reply last night to one of my emails.
Quote:
Our store was swamped with hundreds of orders in the first two
weeks and we're scrambling to catch up. We can give you a refund
if you want, or I can ship your order out tommorow if you like.
My sincerest apologies for the delay; the order volume has been
fantastic... maybe a bit too fantastic.

In any case, if you want a refund we can certainly give you one.

Best Regards,

--
Daniel Robbins
Chief Architect, Gentoo Linux

Works for me.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the offhand chance that anyone hasn't seen the note on http://www.gentoo.org/, please check it out. It's basically an explaination similar to the email posted above.
chadders
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all I wanted to know was if it was going to come sometime or if I was ripped. Thanks for posting something. I understand and its ok that they got way more orders than they thought they would.

Chad :D <--- being patient.
chadders
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my Pentium III Gentoo 1.4 CD's today! Wooooooooo!

Chad :D
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice.. are they as pretty when you recieved them as they are on the website?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make a point clear here, we moderators are Gentoo Forum Moderators and not Gentoo Moderators.

We don't work for Gentoo Technologies, Inc.

We are not employees.

We are voluntaries that give our free time to make these forums a better place to discuss Gentoo and get solutions.
Chris Hickman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlambert wrote:

Well, the documentation sent with mine had some typos that prevented installation (corrected on the docs on the web, meaning a reprint for me) and Gnome won't emerge (already a bugzilla report filled out), so I guess that waiting didn't accomplish much, huh?

Not that I had to wait an overly long time for it. That comment just made me laugh a bit with the experience I've had installing it.

Chris
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: