View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
c00l.wave
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: KDE4: kioslave for audiocd seems to crash SATA drive Reply with quote

I just wanted to rip an audio CD the usual way I was used to in KDE 3.5: Open audiocd:/, go into MP3 folder and copy the "files" to some folder. I noticed that with KDE4 I get CDDB information only randomly in Dolphin or Konqueror but always with Amarok 1 (although it should use kioslave as well? already recompiled since I installed KDE4).

If I stay in Amarok or just open and close the tray a few times, changing Audio CDs in it, everything works fine. But if I call audiocd:/ in Dolphin or Konqueror, my drive crashes on every second disc. How is that possible?!

I guess the randomness in CDDB lookup is - again - caused by KDE 3.5.10 interfering with KDE 4.2 (what a mess...). However, I don't understand why the kioslave would crash my drive when ejecting a CD?

Kernel log shows some errors:
Code:
ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
ata1.00: cmd a0/00:00:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 tag 0
         cdb 1b 00 00 00 02 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
         res 40/00:03:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 Emask 0x4 (timeout)
ata1.00: status: { DRDY }
ata1: soft resetting link
ata1: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata1.01: NODEV after polling detection
ata1.00: configured for UDMA/66
ata1: EH complete

After that the drive is completely unresponsive, just like it was suddenly powered off. The tray stays open, neither pressing the drive's button nor pushing the tray or sending ATA commands works. The drive seems dead. Some minutes later it starts working again, without any message in the kernel log.

The drive is a Pioneer BD-ROM BDC-202 connected through SATA directly to the mainboard (controller is ICH6). Kernel is Gentoo 2.6.25-r7. With KDE 3.5.9 everything worked fine some months ago. The problem does not occur with data CDs or DVDs and only if I try to access the disc through the "audiocd" kioslave.

The CDs have no copy protection and are pressed (no copies). I tried multiple from different labels and all show the same effect.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: