Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
libattr.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r0b
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: libattr.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file.. Reply with quote

Hi,
I may have really screwed myself here, but I'm hoping someone might have a workaround for this.

I was trying to emerge -uvD world, and sys-apps/attr-2.4.43 was listed as one of the packages.

Unfortunately the URL for the package is not working properly - it appears the resource has changed, and so the package is no longer available at the location portage is looking at.

So for some reason I decided to unmerge attr (was not thinking clearly, I guess) in an effort to try to skip it. So now, every time I do basic commands, I get:

$ ls -rlt
ls: error while loading shared libraries: libattr.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

And my system is pretty much unusable - emerge doesn't work, vi doesn't work (can't edit make.conf), etc.

Is there a way to recover here? I've tried building the source package myself but even then i get hit with the above error message.

Thanks for any help.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can grab a compiled version of attr from tinderbox:
http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/html/default-linux/x86/All/attr-2.4.41.html

To fix, boot from a livecd, mount your disks and untar the binaries in place. Then I would recommend re-emerging attr. Make sure you do an emerge --sync first, so you are pulling in the latest version. I just tried an emerge -f on attr and it looks like version 2.4.43 is available online.

In the future if you want to skip a package you should do an `emerge --resume --skipfirst` and come back to it later.
r0b
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I'll give that a try. I was trying to see if I could avoid the reboot and do it while it was still running but that's fine. Thanks for your help.

-rob

mikegpitt wrote:
You can grab a compiled version of attr from tinderbox:
http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/html/default-linux/x86/All/attr-2.4.41.html

To fix, boot from a livecd, mount your disks and untar the binaries in place. Then I would recommend re-emerging attr. Make sure you do an emerge --sync first, so you are pulling in the latest version. I just tried an emerge -f on attr and it looks like version 2.4.43 is available online.

In the future if you want to skip a package you should do an `emerge --resume --skipfirst` and come back to it later.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0b wrote:
Thanks Mike, I'll give that a try. I was trying to see if I could avoid the reboot and do it while it was still running but that's fine. Thanks for your help.
You could always see if you can download and untar the package without rebooting. I'm not sure off the top of my head if tar and wget require attr.
r0b
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:
r0b wrote:
You could always see if you can download and untar the package without rebooting. I'm not sure off the top of my head if tar and wget require attr.

I tried to build it separately (got a tarball from another site) but it dies in the configure - something in there requires it.

At this point I think the only way to do it is do the livecd boot and put the binaries where they should be, then do the re-emerge...

-Rob
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0b wrote:
mikegpitt wrote:
r0b wrote:

I tried to build it separately (got a tarball from another site) but it dies in the configure - something in there requires it.

At this point I think the only way to do it is do the livecd boot and put the binaries where they should be, then do the re-emerge...

-Rob
I meant to try and download and untar the binary package (not source package) in your current system, instead of off the livecd. I assumed that you wouldn't be able to build it. It's worth a shot if you didn't want to reboot, but it shouldn't be too hard to get things running again off the livecd either.
r0b
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:
r0b wrote:
mikegpitt wrote:
r0b wrote:

-Rob
I meant to try and download and untar the binary package (not source package) in your current system, instead of off the livecd. I assumed that you wouldn't be able to build it. It's worth a shot if you didn't want to reboot, but it shouldn't be too hard to get things running again off the livecd either.

Ah yes, I got you. I just have to make sure I can get it via scp to the right place. cp/mv doesn't seem to work either.

By the way, that link doesn't seem to work for me - maybe it's a temporary thing but I keep getting 404 not found.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link seems to be working for me here. This is a direct link to the binary tarball:

http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/default-linux/x86/All/sys-apps/attr-2.4.41.tbz2
r0b
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:
The link seems to be working for me here. This is a direct link to the binary tarball:

http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/default-linux/x86/All/sys-apps/attr-2.4.41.tbz2

thanks - I had to start at x86/ and go into the directory. The link on its own didn't work. I blame Chrome :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: