Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Aargh!!! parted b0rked my root! Reinstalling from scratch...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daen1543
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Aargh!!! parted b0rked my root! Reinstalling from scratch... Reply with quote

How it happened:
1) About 6 months ago I installed Gentoo from Stage 1. It was love at first emerge, so to say. Unfortunately, my computer was not a virgin - it had been corrupted by Windows XP. Gentoo only had 7Gb of space to live in, not nice...
2) Today I decided I would clean up my Windows partition and do some partition juggling to get more space for my Gentoo system. My NTFS partition resized fine, I was able to boot into windows. After that, there was unused space in the middle of the hard drive that I planned to expand my root to. The free space available was not enough to move root over and then enlarge it, so I decided to shrink it first, then move the start of the partition to the end of my windows partition, then enlarge it. Now, had I been using anything other than ReiserFS as my filesystem, the disaster could never have happened. parted shrunk my root partition about 35% of the way, then b0rked. reiserfsck --rebuild-tree all the way. Several hundred thousand files in /lost+found. Agony. Reinstall.

Lessons learned:
1) Run reiserfsck --fix-fixable before doing anything with the partition.
2) Make a 600Mb partition, not mounted by default, for backup of important work. Burn CD once full. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Wish me luck for this installation! I'm going for Stage 1 again.

P.S. Sorry for rambling for so long. Just needed to vent and do something during bootstrap.

P.P.S. The new Gentoo 1.4 LiveCD is awesome - gotta love the splashscreen with the progress bar! When will we get it for 2.6 kernels?

Peace.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: