View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcmkk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:49 pm    Post subject: Can anyone help me find linux replacements for windows apps Reply with quote

I've really enjoyed using linux, and now my uncle wants to try using it. His biggest problem with it is finding replacements for software that he uses daily. He needs a replacement for Fox Pro, Visual C & C++, and Lotus Organizer. KOrganizer seems like it should be the easiest transition from Lotus Organizer. I know that I could run them in wine, but Microsoft products always seem to put up a fight when trying to get them to run in wine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

<Edit> I just thought I'd mention that any developement he does will be for windows. I don't know if there is a whole lot of differece programming for the two since I'm not a programmer.

Last edited by jcmkk on Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
garion911
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about FoxPro, but Visual C/C++, you can use any of several programs. Do a search on Freshmeat.net for IDE (integrated Development environment). Alot of them have screen shots there. Then you can check gentoo's site to see if they already have a package for it. I've used kdevelop in the past, but not fanantical about it.

His other option is to learn how to do things the old-fashion Unix way. vi/Emacs/other religious war (nano!) editor, and make.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if a GUI frontend exists for mysql or postgres?
Those would be my recommendations for replacing Foxpro.
phantasm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: I haven't tired it but its a GUI Reply with quote

http://www.mysql.org/downloads/gui-mysqlgui.html
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's going to be developing for Windows, unless he wants to deal with VERY different programming practices, he's probably going to want to just stick with Windows. Typically you want to develop in the same environment it'll be running in, and if he's going to develop in Linux, the app is going to be cross-platform, which will probably mean that it'll be gtk-based in some form or another, and likely that'll be very, very different from the kind of Win32 programming he's used to. And no, you're certainly not going to want to run MSVisStudio via Wine.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with n0n. If your uncle is developing primarily for a Windows environment, he's probably best to stick with Windows as his OS. Not to mention that MS VisualStudio is a pretty darn good IDE, all things considered.

--kurt
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Not to mention that MS VisualStudio is a pretty darn good IDE, all things considered.

Agreed, it is. If he uses MSVC for anything serious, he would probably be better off sticking with Windows.
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, there ARE some good IDEs for Linux out there, just not ones that'll be able to generate native Windows executables for you. I've heard good things about KDevelop, and there's certainly a number of things out in Freshmeat's IDE Category. I haven't used any of them myself (as I tend to write apps without graphical frontends, which is where IDEs come in REALLY handy (IMO, anyway)), but I remember a friend of mine using one that was really good for GTK apps. Don't know if it was KDevelop or not.

But anyway, yeah. Stick with Windoze if you're doing Windoze-only development. (However, if he's willing to jump into the realm of cross-platform stuff, that'd be cool, but somehow I doubt it...)
rphillips
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he doesn't mind paying the licensing fee for the Trolltech QT libraries, then he should. It'll create a crossplatform linux/windows application with native widgets, and is quite fast.
maystorm
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VMware Workstation allows an easy transition from Windows to Linux as it gives you a fully functional Windows environment on your beloved Linux box. I'm using this great piece of software for a couple of months now and got every Windows application running (well, almost, the only programs not being supported well are DirectX-based games).

The drawback is its price: it's currently 299.00 US-$, however, there is a 30-days trial version (fully functional) available for download.

[Edit] ...or try this: emerge app-emulation/vmware-workstation. :wink:
Linux user #216018

Last edited by maystorm on Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maystorm wrote:
The drawback is its price: it's currently 299.00 US-$, however, there is a 30-days trial version (fully functional) available for download.

I also use VMware (to do Windows development with MSVC, no less) and I can give it nothing but praise. Also, if you are even vaguely connected with an academic institution of any kind (student or staff), check out www.creationengine.com; you can get VMware Workstation for $150 including shipping.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: